Using More Food Since Perking Into Iron Gut?

OneManStanding

Basically, I've noticed I eat WAY more food than my buddy.

We've been playing this world a lot - it's about day 100, max difficulty, we went through a fad of thirty days of Hordes every night for the fun of it - so we've sunk a lot of points into our attributes and skills. I went into Fortitude and Strength mainly, and maxed Iron Gut to try and save on food. But as I've said I always end up eating more food than my friend: we just did the county jail and twice I had to stop and eat two steak and chips because I realised I had the hunger icon.

Now -- there could be perfectly normal factors here: We went in gun-heavy, me using shotgun and tac rifle - even aiming uses stamina. I switched to my club here and there and did a flurry of heavy attacks - when it comes to the radioactives there is no point using light attacks, it's too subtle for them. I threw a few grenades - maybe throwing them cost stamina. I Got hurt quite a bit and I have the mutant genes healing skill - maybe healing more and faster uses more food as opposed to first aid kits. I would say my buddy does largely as much the same as me, even using a machete for melee, but avoids as much physical harm ... to the point he hasn't died once in 90 days whereas I've died 12 times. We have a theory he is (a) immortal; (b) a really bad teamplayer when it comes to doing a Thelma and Louise into the final Death Room and lets Thelma go it alone; or (c) the game hates me, as when he DID jump into the final death room all by himself the zombies STILL tried to get at me. Nevertheless he eats a lot less of his food by the end of the POI - 2 or 3 steak and chips to my six.

Is there anything there which says why I am using so much more food than him? Or have I done something else, like maybe perking into some skill or attribute which somehow uses more food? Fact is, I noticed I was hungrier more often much early on in the world, around the time I started perking into Iron Gut (also maybe healing). As a very last resort, I am wondering if maybe a coding issue means you use more food with Iron Gut than was intended - in Borderlands 2 there was an issue where a mis-coded skill meant shotguns lost accuracy the more you perked into them.

Any thoughts or ideas, thanking you in advance... 🙂

The healing factor thingy costs a ton, I think I checked it at an earlier alpha and it was 1 hp to 1 food. At that rate, letting it heal you to full will starve you entirely .. or a bandage's worth of healing is costing a bacon and eggs. That alone is sufficient given enough damage taken .. :)

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

The healing factor thingy costs a ton...

Excellent ... I will de-perk into/out of that perk using that respec potion. I perked into that and iron gut at the same time -- the healing thing I thought was free, just kind of ambient healing. We can make first aid bandages and full medikits ... ... ... which my robot companion uses like machine gun ammo.

7 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

I take healing factor all the time.  Not for the healing over time (which is whatever, I always have tons of food available) but for the reduced duration on injuries.  Combine it with the bonus from physician, and most treated injuries are gone within a couple minutes.

Yeah, it is good late game when food is no issue (or really any goods or materials) but I wouldn't recommend it early game.

Of course you are late game so...

もうすでに答えは出ているので蛇足ですが、バニラにおいてはとんでもない量の救急包帯が拾えるため治癒因子で回復する必要はありません。
もし拾えなくても砂漠にいけば大量のアロエがありますね。

(google translation)

It's a redundant since the answer has already been given, but in vanilla you can pick up a ridiculous amount of emergency bandages, so there is no need to heal with healing factors.
Even if you can't pick it up, you can find a lot of aloe if you go to the desert.

Im perked all the way into it on my current game, and I see no real difference.

17 hours ago, OneManStanding said:

Basically, I've noticed I eat WAY more food than my buddy.

We've been playing this world a lot - it's about day 100, max difficulty, we went through a fad of thirty days of Hordes every night for the fun of it - so we've sunk a lot of points into our attributes and skills. I went into Fortitude and Strength mainly, and maxed Iron Gut to try and save on food. But as I've said I always end up eating more food than my friend: we just did the county jail and twice I had to stop and eat two steak and chips because I realised I had the hunger icon.

I'm currently perked similarly and I can tell you that the difference in what food items you are consuming and how hard you drive that hunger meter can play a crucial role in how that plays out.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

Yep -- I took that respec potion, perked out of healing. Me and my buddy did a big prison poi and I didn't eat a thing all the way through - plenty of shooting, plenty of melee, had a great time. I'm still fully perked into iron gut, though, so that helped. By comparison, my buddy who is still perked into healing by only two xp points ate twice. I still don't think the skill really spells it out that your body will literally starve you to death healing you. I can't think of that as being a positive skill to ever have.

On the other hand, my little demonic robot still considers health items to be machine gun ammo. Zombie so much as gives me a stern look and BAM -- 225 points of healing jabbed into my back. I swear I took the first aid kits out and just loaded it up with bandages, but the cheeky little thing must have found a cache somewhere. Sheesh. It gets trapped on a block somewhere but the moment I find a First Aid Kit it's suddenly hovering in front of me like a dog looking for a treat.

5 hours ago, OneManStanding said:

Yep -- I took that respec potion, perked out of healing. Me and my buddy did a big prison poi and I didn't eat a thing all the way through - plenty of shooting, plenty of melee, had a great time. I'm still fully perked into iron gut, though, so that helped. By comparison, my buddy who is still perked into healing by only two xp points ate twice. I still don't think the skill really spells it out that your body will literally starve you to death healing you. I can't think of that as being a positive skill to ever have.

On the other hand, my little demonic robot still considers health items to be machine gun ammo. Zombie so much as gives me a stern look and BAM -- 225 points of healing jabbed into my back. I swear I took the first aid kits out and just loaded it up with bandages, but the cheeky little thing must have found a cache somewhere. Sheesh. It gets trapped on a block somewhere but the moment I find a First Aid Kit it's suddenly hovering in front of me like a dog looking for a treat.

Yeah, it needs to be toned down a bit, it is like straight up ripoff from Minecraft healing by using all your food.

That is weird with the drone, and you aren't the first person to complain about this. I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to trigger until you are under half health. Mine always seemed to work as expected, but then I ditched it recently when I found out you can shove 4 storage modules in. I also don't get hit a lot but I travel with 2x QL6 junk turrets.

6 hours ago, Krougal said:

Yeah, it needs to be toned down a bit, it is like straight up ripoff from Minecraft healing by using all your food.

That is weird with the drone, and you aren't the first person to complain about this. I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to trigger until you are under half health. Mine always seemed to work as expected, but then I ditched it recently when I found out you can shove 4 storage modules in. I also don't get hit a lot but I travel with 2x QL6 junk turrets.

It just seems to me that a healing skill that you actively spend points on should work passively - like simple in-game regen from CoD - and save you from using medical supplies on recoverable injury. As it stands it's more of an active Starvation Perk the way it's been working. It's nothing you should want to perk into as you will need to bring more and better food with you to make up for the drain, when a stack of steak and chips now does me fine without it.

As for the robot, you're saying you can put four storage mods in it rather than just one? From my experience I'd think you could only put one of each type in... Going to have to give that a go as we have a spare slot :)

1 hour ago, OneManStanding said:

As for the robot, you're saying you can put four storage mods in it rather than just one? From my experience I'd think you could only put one of each type in...

Yeh, you can, I can't remember which was it, but you can either right click them in, or drag and drop, but not both. I'm thinking drag & drop works, but ... :)

I stopped using the healing mod when I saw it try to heal thru the unhealable portion of the health bar; was a while ago, dunno if the AI has improved, but haven't seen the need for it; I'm well aware of my HP all the time anyway.

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

Yeh, you can, I can't remember which was it, but you can either right click them in, or drag and drop, but not both. I'm thinking drag & drop works, but ... :)

I stopped using the healing mod when I saw it try to heal thru the unhealable portion of the health bar; was a while ago, dunno if the AI has improved, but haven't seen the need for it; I'm well aware of my HP all the time anyway.

Oh, I thought you were the one that told me about it, maybe it was Riamus....my short-term memory is going.

Drag and drop, you can't r-click them.

Somehow I am an anomaly, because prior to A21 the drone worked flawlessly for me. Even still I thought the medic was doing a good job. I also just gave it a stack of med kits and made sure to keep them in the top left slot.

4 minutes ago, Krougal said:

my short-term memory is going.

Heh, my confidence of my memory varies more than my actual memory, so I may well have mentioned about it earlier. For me, the healing worked fine, until I had more-than-a-bandage's worth of "debuff damage" (the unhealable portion) - then the droid used bandages on-cooldown until it ran out.