What is your favorite kind of map?

Riamus

What kind of map do you play on the most?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of map do you play on the most?

• Navesgane
    • Pregen
    • RWG
    • Third Party Randomly Generated Map
    • Hand Crafted Map
  2. 2. Do you prefer a map with real world terrain or random terrain?

• Real World Terrain
    • Random Terrain

While working to help with Teragon, I have been wondering what kinds of maps people play on the most.  Feel free to discuss your votes and why you prefer one kind of map over another.

For me, I obviously prefer Teragon maps for the control it offers me in how the maps look and like random terrain rather than real world terrain.  Real world terrain can be interesting but it often doesn't fit well in such a small map area because it has to be scaled down.  And few locations are recognizable enough that you can take a small enough part of the world so it doesn't have to scale and still have it look like a place you'd recognize.  I find maps like DC and NYC to look very interesting but I still prefer random maps.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

i try to make my rwg maps as random as possible by altering terrain generation values i.e messing with hills lakes and canyons to create some stunning maps with a huge lake going across an area with pois on the lake sides and a big gulch drop into the lake i have used teragon a decent amount too both have their pros and cons but with an altered rwg file its often enough for me.

I think it would be cool to be able to generate maps from real-world coordinates, such as saying center an 8km map on 39.3292° N, 82.1013° W. But the appeal is there only if it goes beyond the terrain. If it can match up game settlements with settlements on the real-world map then some of my solo games would use that. Obviously it couldn't do it building by building, but the rough shape of the settlement would be wicked.

I have taken a height map of my home town and brought it into Kingen and mapped out the residential/commercial/industrial districts.

That has to be my fav map I have played because it feels familiar. Just the mountains and lake alone gave me an erie vibe even if the buildings and streets didn't match up exactly

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

I'm not aware of any up-to-date map creators... please, if there's any let me know! But you run the random gen a few times and you realise the random gen turns out very samey, with far flung cities pretty much the same except for the biome they happen to be in. I would prefer to be able to somehow quickly handcraft a map to be more unique in a smaller way -- for instance, an island. Maybe a valley town surrounded by mountains. Or just one central city in a wasteland surrounded by radiation. One thing I did like in a random map I got recently was there were no traders in the towns, they were all at crossroads a distance from the towns. I do like Navezgane's intentional design, but the towns are extremely small.

I would play hand-crafted maps over RWG ones, except that in many cases there's some slapdash work - "causeways" (i.e. lazy land logs) instead of bridges crossing rivers, biomes clearly just blobbed in in MS paint (and too many folks just stick the ice biome 'wherever' instead of making it the elevated portions), cities haven't been fixed to give them proper road networks (this is also a problem with RWG, since the POI tiles have wonky road connections) and highways can still be random and go nowhere while missing what should be major connections between towns or cities, I could go on.

Basically, a lot of maps go up that aren't much better than RWG, which is disappointing.

This is especially so when we have Navezgane as an example of some things that can be done with a 7D map - the tunnel is really cool! The highways! The organized towns! It has real infrastructure that makes sense and gets you around a lot of the map, as well as some POIs integrated with the terrain (like the mine in the canyon cliffside or the pueblo). Of course Navezgane is kind of stale after all these years, the towns are way too small and many POIs are missing. 

A custom map that used the better aspects of RWG, with quality of height/biome maps and water features from GOOD handmade maps, Navezgame's infrastructure and POI integration, and at least one of each POI would be KILLER.

Edited by FramFramson (see edit history)

Random world and terrain all the way. I love exploring and the challenge of not knowing where you are and adapting to your environment to survive.

I also do a quick teleport across my random generated worlds to make sure I get one or two mega cities in the wasteland. So tired of world gen creating a bunch of smaller cities or industrial cities with no Higashi, or Dishong or Shotgun factory. I must have at least one of each of these in my world and strongly prefer them in the wasteland.

44 minutes ago, OneManStanding said:

Is there a download you can link me to? I've searched, but the obvious results seem to abort access the minute it loads up. I downloaded the link from the video above but I think that might be out of date.

The download is on the discord server.  I am not at home so can't get it right now.  I believe the link to the discord server is in the kinggen thread in the middle of January this year.