Water & Dew Collectors

OneManStanding

I generally like the addition of dew collectors -- but we're needing INDUSTRIAL levels of them to meet demand at times. Between our home base and our horde base we've got four forges, three work benches, three chemistry stations, four mixers, four campfires... but we have about forty dew collectors in parties of eight in fields around the town in order to compensate for the automatic heat/activity production. We've switched to horde nights every night whilst we wait for another friend to run up a server, and due to not having the time for POIs we are using a LOT of water making paper to make shotgun shells. We're planning another dew farm at the moment.

Now, there are dew collectors which use power to increase their output. I'm thinking we could go from these passive barrel collectors producing three waters a day to having a battery or generator-powered versions which produce ten jars a day over the normal three. The obvious cost in XP points, additional resources and setup, magazines, wiring, charging and replacing batteries, fuel, noise, screamers, would balance out not needing as many - as one powered dew collector is worth three passive collectors.

I bet you have tons of screamer visits! Each dew collector generates up to 10% heat. That means 400% for you. Fun!

There are mods that increase output already and ones like mine that decrease heat while slightly speeding up production times. I do believe that The Pimps will balance them again in the future. Remember, this is simply the first trial of the devices.

I made a mod that removes heat entirely. I get the why behind it, but if I'm being honest, it was a poor decision IMO. My mod also increases the capacity of the collectors (10 instead of 3 - that's a big barrel, after all). So while the collection speed is the same, it holds a more "realistic" amount of water and I don't have to collect as often.

20 hours ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

I bet you have tons of screamer visits...

Not really. Around the Horde Base and Home Base, yes - when we're being particularly industrial with the forges and work stations we can get the odd screamer or two. But the "water farms" are in non-POI locations around the town in batches of eight a safe distance from anything else. The combined heat of each farm working doesn't exceed 80%, so no screamers due to them. We get 120 water in total if we leave them all day, but it's like one minute we are swimming in water the next we've used it all up and need more. It's about having that many of them and STILL needing more that's the issue - we don't need this many of any other work station. 

That said, they dev's forgot the heat component of the dew collectors when they first brought them in so we had ten of them in the home base. Then they brought it in in a later update and - yeah - screamer city until we started getting rid of them.

On 8/31/2023 at 9:29 AM, OneManStanding said:

I generally like the addition of dew collectors -- but we're needing INDUSTRIAL levels of them to meet demand at times. Between our home base and our horde base we've got four forges, three work benches, three chemistry stations, four mixers, four campfires... but we have about forty dew collectors in parties of eight in fields around the town in order to compensate for the automatic heat/activity production. We've switched to horde nights every night whilst we wait for another friend to run up a server, and due to not having the time for POIs we are using a LOT of water making paper to make shotgun shells. We're planning another dew farm at the moment.

Now, there are dew collectors which use power to increase their output. I'm thinking we could go from these passive barrel collectors producing three waters a day to having a battery or generator-powered versions which produce ten jars a day over the normal three. The obvious cost in XP points, additional resources and setup, magazines, wiring, charging and replacing batteries, fuel, noise, screamers, would balance out not needing as many - as one powered dew collector is worth three passive collectors.

Something like a water pump would be cool. If it made like 15 to 20 water but it was very expensive.  Like 6 water filter and other stuff 

Like my post I made https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/33627-water-pump-high-teir-dew-collector/

I absolutely agree that we need something on an industrial scale. The dew collector is too weak and takes up a lot of space when there is a lot of it. It would be great if there was, for example, a machine that collects moisture from the air. Such a large machine is capable of supplying more water, generating more heat, requiring more space to work.
I really don't like that such strict requirements are imposed on a creative player as on the surface of the earth.

There is no need to invent something unusual. Just look at it and enter it into the game:
c2c3239e274745b235262abc9361c426.png

This beautiful machine is able to work almost anywhere, as long as there is no drought. Put this machine underground and you will be amazed at the result of its work! Efficiency is higher compared to dew collection. This machine can run on both electricity and batteries.

Attention, if you put this car on the snow, it will heat the snow and fall apart.

Put this machine underground and you will be amazed at the result of its work! Efficiency is higher compared to dew collection. This machine can run on both electricity and batteries.

Zombies will be furious and want to destroy this miracle machine. And when a screaming zombie sees this device, her eyes will turn red and she will scream!
Amazing balance. Players install the moisture trap at their own risk!

2 hours ago, Kuoshi_Zetzy said:

I absolutely agree that we need something on an industrial scale. The dew collector is too weak and takes up a lot of space when there is a lot of it. It would be great if there was, for example, a machine that collects moisture from the air. Such a large machine is capable of supplying more water, generating more heat, requiring more space to work.
I really don't like that such strict requirements are imposed on a creative player as on the surface of the earth.

There is no need to invent something unusual. Just look at it and enter it into the game:
c2c3239e274745b235262abc9361c426.png

This beautiful machine is able to work almost anywhere, as long as there is no drought. Put this machine underground and you will be amazed at the result of its work! Efficiency is higher compared to dew collection. This machine can run on both electricity and batteries.

Attention, if you put this car on the snow, it will heat the snow and fall apart.

Put this machine underground and you will be amazed at the result of its work! Efficiency is higher compared to dew collection. This machine can run on both electricity and batteries.

Zombies will be furious and want to destroy this miracle machine. And when a screaming zombie sees this device, her eyes will turn red and she will scream!
Amazing balance. Players install the moisture trap at their own risk!

Yes, just yes 

I kinda drew something like that. I'm going to edit it and outline stuff In photoshop buy yeah something basically like that. Imagine is still WIP

A large condenser and or Water pump.  Can get 30 water a day but at a cost of so many screamers 

20230901_114813.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, satasika said:

I have a question, should the current "dew collector" be more reasonable. Judging from the appearance, shouldn’t the collection speed be faster on rainy days?

It should, but they've come up with reasons/excuses why they don't want to do that.

In seriousness, the rain system is kinda borked anyway. I STILL see rain falling indoors (though I no longer get wet) AND is still flows through bulletproof glass and DOES get you wet.

I wouldn't trust it to work right with the dew collectors currently.

4 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

Yeah dew collectors - judged by the looks of it - would also act as a rain catcher, so that concept isn't completely consistent in itself.

But in the end it works fine as a low tier (clean) water source. Rain water would rather be murky water imo.

I came up with an idea: when it doesn't rain, you get clean water bottles, and when it rains, you get turbid water bottles. Does this fit better with the current appearance of the operation?
Moreover, the speed of collecting turbid water bottles is faster when it rains, and the speed of collecting clean water bottles is slower when it is not raining. Is this more consistent?

Although these are all wild and fanciful...🤣

also a nice approach, but with the current weather system, there are at least one or two sudden thunderstorms out of the blue every day, so the chance for murky water would be more or less around 99-100% 😀.

I hope that will get some love, there's too much great conditions and then these short and abrupt changes.

I would rather see longer periods kind of "stable" weather, good and/or not so good.

With that your suggestion would work just fine I guess.

5 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

I would rather see longer periods kind of "stable" weather, good and/or not so good.

I agree that the weather is unstable. A change in the weather causes irritation, not fear or difficulties, as in real life. It feels like the child has reached the device for changing the weather and is pressing the colored buttons.

On 9/13/2023 at 5:15 AM, satasika said:

I came up with an idea: when it doesn't rain, you get clean water bottles, and when it rains, you get turbid water bottles. Does this fit better with the current appearance of the operation?
Moreover, the speed of collecting turbid water bottles is faster when it rains, and the speed of collecting clean water bottles is slower when it is not raining. Is this more consistent?

Although these are all wild and fanciful...🤣

I don't think you'll see anything related to rain collection in vanilla.  Only chunks where players are will be loaded, so it can't track rain anywhere else.  Leave your base for the day and although it's raining where you are, the game doesn't know if it's raining at your base.  And the results if they did add rain collection wouldn't really be any different.  Even if they tied it to rain, they'd still make the average amount collected equal to what you get now.  You might occasionally get more or less based on rain but the average would be where they have it now because that's what they want you to collect per day per collector.

I think our only hope for a better collector is something like a water pump for late game.  Being late game, it doesn't create problems for early game water being more of a challenge (even though it's only a challenge for new players) and the cost to craft it can be high to make it something you need to work toward building and not likely something you'll build very many of.