Police Car Alarm Implemention is Good in Theory, Bad in Practice

laerbn

I like the concept of setting off an alarm on a locked car by beating into it.  I think a lot of cool things could be done for similar things.

However, seeing zombies just appear out of thin air, ten feet away, after the alarm goes off, is just...stupid.

They could spawn at a greater distance but it would make it extremely easy to escape with the loot before they reached you.  I'm fine with the mechanic even if it looks odd.  If this happens in a POI, then that is a different story.

19 minutes ago, Riamus said:

They could spawn at a greater distance but it would make it extremely easy to escape with the loot before they reached you.  I'm fine with the mechanic even if it looks odd.  If this happens in a POI, then that is a different story.

Just increase the time it takes to search a police car by a ton.  At least then it's not so janky looking.

26 minutes ago, laerbn said:

Just increase the time it takes to search a police car by a ton.  At least then it's not so janky looking.

People already just break them open then run away, let the zombies despawn, and go back to loot it.  That would just incentivize it even more.

11 hours ago, laerbn said:

I like the concept of setting off an alarm on a locked car by beating into it.  I think a lot of cool things could be done for similar things.

However, seeing zombies just appear out of thin air, ten feet away, after the alarm goes off, is just...stupid.

I think this could be easily solved by forcing the spawn to happen always out of the player's view frustrum

That's not the only place where zombies can spawn in sight.  When I cleared the Navezgane County Jail, I had soldiers spawn within arm's reach when I was outside.  I'd jumped up on the small roofed area in the yard, and when I jumped down, zombies spawned right on top of me.

Basically, it would be nice if they could force zombies to spawn outside of sight, but that's never really been the case.  I remember sitting on top of my base on horde nights watching zombies stand up from spawning in and seeing if I could kill them with arrows before they took their first step after standing up (this was likely back in A16, though...vultures have stopped me from doing this.)

3 hours ago, rateds2k said:

Or just have them spawn as you are picking it. Maybe 3 spawn every 4 seconds of picking

I'd absolutely LOVE to see you do that on insane/nightmare! You'd be dead before the 20 seconds are up.
You'd be forced to cancel (breaking the lockpick)