I love Repairing my Car every few SECONDS

1 minute ago, Krougal said:

I concur. I'm a pretty careful driver (except with the stupid gyro, I struggle with it) and the damage is stupid. So is the fuel consumption.

I modded the durability values to like x10 which I think might be overcompensating (for everything but the gyrocopter, @%$# you!), but I am still trying to find the "feels good" spot.

I don't understand what they have against vehicular zombicide either, I mean the motorcycle & 4x4 look like they are made for it. When they first added the motorcycle I had endless fun running over zeds with it. But The No-Fun Pimps way is to give us fun stuff and then take it away.

i always encourage modding. on nexus mods is a mod that reduces the vehicle damage taken by x2 or x5.

with the x5 it feels perfect. zombies die and your car doesnt break that fast... also counts for the gyro

13 minutes ago, ShadeColdfang said:

i always encourage modding. on nexus mods is a mod that reduces the vehicle damage taken by x2 or x5.

with the x5 it feels perfect. zombies die and your car doesnt break that fast... also counts for the gyro

Yeah, I am going to drop mine to x5 and see how it goes. Maybe cut the speeds too, I raised the speeds but they make handling more difficult, I think I am just going to increase the modifiers on the turbo, which gives you more speed when you need it. Is it just me or are they too slow for long distance travel? Especially the gyro.  I also made the annoyingly loud vehicles (gyro, mini, 4x4) lower volume. I might put it out there when I am happy with it.

Oh, and while I do feel the fuel consumption is a bit high, 1 overnight mining trip at an oil deposit and I had gas for days. This was with a stone pickaxe and no mining perks either. I had been thinking about making ethanol a thing again but really, the resources are there, just need to make diggy diggy hole.

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Krougal said:

Yeah, I am going to drop mine to x5 and see how it goes. Maybe cut the speeds too, I raised the speeds but they make handling more difficult, I think I am just going to increase the modifiers on the turbo, which gives you more speed when you need it. Is it just me or are they too slow for long distance travel? Especially the gyro.  I also made the annoyingly loud vehicles (gyro, mini, 4x4) lower volume. I might put it out there when I am happy with it.

a21 nerfed vehicle speeds too...

27 minutes ago, ShadeColdfang said:

a21 nerfed vehicle speeds too...

They nerfed basic speed so that they could include a vehicle mod with which you can reach the old top speed again (AFAIK). THis top speed is a hard limit for vanilla since TFP has to support 8 minimum spec PCs playing together.

41 minutes ago, meganoth said:

They nerfed basic speed so that they could include a vehicle mod with which you can reach the old top speed again (AFAIK). THis top speed is a hard limit for vanilla since TFP has to support 8 minimum spec PCs playing together.

Oh, good thing you mentioned it. Yeah, I don't think I've ever gotten a supercharger. Still haven't in A21. Maybe I will leave the speeds alone then.

I don't know.  it make sense to me that your vehicle should take an equivalent amount of damage that it does to blocks.  It should take a reduced amount of damage from soft targets.  There should be an armor start that reduces damage your vehicle takes though.  The 4x4 and motorcycle should have that naturally.  and there should be a mod that effects the damage you take, and possibly do.

2 hours ago, Krougal said:

I am still trying to find the "feels good" spot.

I settled on 3x but thought 2.5x wasn't bad either. I thought 5x was too much.

There's no perfect value because the range of damage being done swings so far, and yet sometimes not far enough. I mean, there are objects that I think should do no damage that can do significant damage and then there's events that I think should destroy the vehicle (even if it were at 100% health) and kill everyone aboard, like driving off a skyscraper.

3 minutes ago, zztong said:

I settled on 3x but thought 2.5x wasn't bad either. I thought 5x was too much.

There's no perfect value because the range of damage being done swings so far, and yet sometimes not far enough. I mean, there are objects that I think should do no damage that can do significant damage and then there's events that I think should destroy the vehicle (even if it were at 100% health) and kill everyone aboard, like driving off a skyscraper.

well... yea in the case of doing a skyscraper car jump then yea... i get that any car and its users should cease to exsist. <the only real scenario that i would accept 100%
The idea of TFP to change the Cars to do more Damage to entities and you recieve higher damage too, sounded and looked better in their reveal stream... like the old saying "it looked better on paper".

9 hours ago, RipClaw said:

This has nothing to do with whether someone is driving like a madman. Objects often appear only a few meters in front of you. I suspect this is because objects like cars don't have a low poly model for long distances, and since you're moving comparatively fast with a vehicle, the game barely has time to render them.

Allow me to elucidate:

image.jpeg.055b82378e8067a985e85651f29215b9.jpeg

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

I think they gave us vehicle changes in advance of other changes that would make the first changes make sense instead of giving us the entire thing at once.  They are showing off vehicle mods that include a "plow" on the 4x4 that I would assume means increased armor.  If they had included that at the same time as the increased damage, it would make sense.  Add it is now, it is bad.  Definitely need to reduce damage taken.

Regarding speed, I am pretty sure that the top speed with a supercharger for at least the motorcycle (and I think the 4x4) is actually 1m/s faster than in A20.  I haven't looked since experimental but I believe that is what I saw.  It isn't bad driving across the map with a supercharger.  I think those speeds are fine.

26 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Regarding speed, I am pretty sure that the top speed with a supercharger for at least the motorcycle (and I think the 4x4) is actually 1m/s faster than in A20.  I haven't looked since experimental but I believe that is what I saw.  It isn't bad driving across the map with a supercharger.  I think those speeds are fine.

Yep, you are right and they reduced the normal speed by 1m/s.  In A20 the normal speed was 14m/s and with turbo it was 17m/s.  In A21 the numbers are 13m/s and 18m/s.  These numbers are for the motorcycle and 4x4.

4 hours ago, Riamus said:

Regarding speed, I am pretty sure that the top speed with a supercharger for at least the motorcycle (and I think the 4x4) is actually 1m/s faster than in A20.  I haven't looked since experimental but I believe that is what I saw.  It isn't bad driving across the map with a supercharger.

I actually removed my supercharger from my motorcycle with my current outpost being in the wasteland.   I refuse to use the 4x4 while I'm there, and if I am being quite honest... the minibike is starting to look more and more versatile to me, if it weren't for the difference in inventory space.  I tend to keep a mini in the trunk anyway, because its a good backup if you EDIT:  riggity wreck yourself.

2 minutes ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I actually removed my supercharger from my motorcycle with my current outpost being in the wasteland.   I refuse to use the 4x4 while I'm there, and if I am being quite honest... the minibike is starting to look more and more versatile to me, if it weren't for the difference in inventory space.  I tend to keep a mini in the trunk anyway, because its a good backup if you ever run outta fuel from the other vehicles.

I gave up on the 4x4 entirely in A21 because of the damage.  The motorcycle is still fine, even with the supercharger, but I still hate the damage changes.

As far as carrying the minibike on case you run out of gas... Why not just carry a stack of gas instead?  It takes the same space and you can drive further on that than a single tank of gas in the minibike.  If it is just to get around the wasteland easier, then that makes sense.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I gave up on the 4x4 entirely in A21 because of the damage.  The motorcycle is still fine, even with the supercharger, but I still hate the damage changes.

As far as carrying the minibike on case you run out of gas... Why not just carry a stack of gas instead?  It takes the same space and you can drive further on that than a single tank of gas in the minibike.  If it is just to get around the wasteland easier, then that makes sense.

Hey! We don't need your logic and smart stuff 'round here!

(yeah, I would just carry an extra stack of gas too)

4 hours ago, Riamus said:

I already keep one stack of gas and always one backup vehicle.  If I run outta gas I fill er up, as is logical.  But I suppose I should have clarified that I also keep the backup vehicle moreso in case of the first breaking down, or I'm driving through territory it would behoove me to slow down and be more careful.

2 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I already keep one stack of gas and always one backup vehicle.  If I run outta gas I fill er up, as is logical.  But I suppose I should have clarified that I also keep the backup vehicle moreso in case of the first breaking down, or I'm driving through territory it would behoove me to slow down and be more careful.

So out of curiosity, what size backpack mod do you use?

12 hours ago, meganoth said:

So this is a mod that isn't in yet? Because the supercharger has been included since A20. If you ARE talking about the supercharger, it doesn't sound like it's supercharging anything.

32 minutes ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I've never used backpack mods.  Don't really have much interest in them.

And you carry an extra stack of gas and an extra vehicle? That's just crazy to me. I mean I probably carry way too much gear but I couldn't imagine cramming in more, especially with vanilla size inventory. Granted lately I am carrying 2 vehicles, but that's because I don't trust the gyrocopter not to blow up on me, and I've got 96 slots.

3 minutes ago, Krougal said:

And you carry an extra stack of gas and an extra vehicle? That's just crazy to me. I mean I probably carry way too much gear but I couldn't imagine cramming in more, especially with vanilla size inventory. Granted lately I am carrying 2 vehicles, but that's because I don't trust the gyrocopter not to blow up on me, and I've got 96 slots.

It isn't like it's a big deal.  A 4x4 has a lot of space.  Using one for gas and one for a vehicle isn't going to use up much.  :)

To be clear because I think you're thinking of personal inventory, I'm pretty sure they are referring to having this in the vehicle's inventory.

14 hours ago, meganoth said:

I don't think it's about supporting multiple players.  They said the limit was because of having to render the world at higher speeds didn't work well without a really good computer.

7 hours ago, Riamus said:

It isn't like it's a big deal.  A 4x4 has a lot of space.  Using one for gas and one for a vehicle isn't going to use up much.  :)

To be clear because I think you're thinking of personal inventory, I'm pretty sure they are referring to having this in the vehicle's inventory.

I don't think it's about supporting multiple players.  They said the limit was because of having to render the world at higher speeds didn't work well without a really good computer.

Yes and no. One limit is how fast the client PC can load the next chunk ahead of you. For that (worst case) it would need to read savegame data about changed blocks in the world from the server. So read some data first over the internet into your cache, then create the resulting chunk by combining that with world info read from hard disk, then finally displaying it.

Depending on the load of the server and maybe 8 players simultaneously asking for chunk data or invoking other server-heavy events like zombie spawning(?) multiplayer could have an influence.

I am not sure about my memory here, but I think I remember that when we played an overhaul mod with faster vehicles that rubberbanding was more frequent when we all were driving at the same time. At that time our game was also hosted on a weaker server than it is now.

9 hours ago, Old Crow said:

So this is a mod that isn't in yet? Because the supercharger has been included since A20. If you ARE talking about the supercharger, it doesn't sound like it's supercharging anything.

Correct, I forgot that the supercharger was already included in A20. Though as zombiehunter said the numbers were adjusted in A21, probably to make it so you gladly take detours to search all garages for them.

I just checked XML and the bonus seems to be 15% to top speed for every vehicle and 25% to cruising speed (i.e. without hitting shift key). I would have expected an acceleration modifier as well since we had the impression the motorbike was accelerating faster as well. Maybe that is just a derived stat from top speed or we have been imagining things

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

So I set my speeds back, cut the durability a bit and increased the turbo. The durability change was retroactive surprisingly (I didn't have to replace my vehicles with fresh ones) but I am wondering about the turbo...I mean I can see the rear prop spin the opposite way on the gyro, but it doesn't seem to go any faster (and I felt that way pre-mod). I honestly wonder if holding shift while driving really does anything more than make my pinky sore.

1 hour ago, Krougal said:

So I set my speeds back, cut the durability a bit and increased the turbo. The durability change was retroactive surprisingly (I didn't have to replace my vehicles with fresh ones) but I am wondering about the turbo...I mean I can see the rear prop spin the opposite way on the gyro, but it doesn't seem to go any faster (and I felt that way pre-mod). I honestly wonder if holding shift while driving really does anything more than make my pinky sore.

It does.  I can notice a difference on the motorcycle.  A gyro is difficult because it's usually flown high in the air, making it appear to go very slowly compared to other vehicles.

10 hours ago, meganoth said:

Correct, I forgot that the supercharger was already included in A20. Though as zombiehunter said the numbers were adjusted in A21, probably to make it so you gladly take detours to search all garages for them.

I just checked XML and the bonus seems to be 15% to top speed for every vehicle and 25% to cruising speed (i.e. without hitting shift key). I would have expected an acceleration modifier as well since we had the impression the motorbike was accelerating faster as well. Maybe that is just a derived stat from top speed or we have been imagining things

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. Is this also the reason the motorcycle and 4X4 take off so sluggishly? Both feel like they're dragging on something when I first start moving, even with a supercharger installed.