Duct tape is worth more than steel

ElCabong

To me, it's not so much that duct tape is more valuable than steel, but that I have so much steel because there's nothing to do with it because the game won't let you do anything fun until much, much later in the game now.  You can have all the duct tape you want, sure it's a bit more of a hassle than it used to be, but you get quite a bit of murky water looting, and the dew collectors, once set up, crank out water without any further resources or intervention.  If you cared to, you could set up a field of dew collectors very early on and just collect a ton of water once a day in a matter of seconds.  If you collect all the bones you come across rather than throwing them on the ground like before, you could fill a swimming pool with glue before the first horde night.

I think it's weird to change a fundamental mechanic of the game so drastically, seemingly to make water management more critical, yet the end result actually makes water management so trivial that it quickly becomes irrelevant.  You will have more than enough money to buy every water filter you come across simply because there is nothing else to spend it on.  I really don't see the point to their water changes, but it doesn't really bother me because water is actually easier now than before.

I was really excited about U21, and initially I felt like they made a lot of great changes, which in all fairness they did, but ultimately I'm just about done with U21 already because you just aren't allowed to have fun anymore.  It's super boring now slowly building up your weapon crafting book by book so you can craft a tier 2 and then a tier 3, and maybe tomorrow a tier 4.  You're not going to loot anything fun, nor are you going to buy anything fun from the vendor, just book by book you get to slowly make an ever so slightly better weapon than you're carrying.  

duct tape 75 dukes.

water 120

steel 51  (something like that)

I've been finding enough repair kits, that I have had to make all that many.

(unlike A20 where I'd be swimming in them, same for lockpicks.)

I always save the bones for glue.   The dead flesh (aka braaaiinnsss), I don't have much use for anymore. 140+ farm plots

In single player I usually end up with 8 dew collectors by day 7 or so. Its enough to have enough water to drink and make food with and have some left over to make glue with, you just need to focus on getting the prodcution going then your good. Its not like there is much else to spend dukes on early game at the traders with how gutted they are.

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

That's 10 less than I have, but I'm also a bit crazy and like to keep large quantities of glue and tape on hand.

Well I mean both items are used in MANY things, so its good to always keep some around.

I'm so overloaded with water as it is.  The water from the dew collectors is fine and all but I just got done boiling 125 murky water that I've found looting normally (not looking for it specifically).  I did get lucky in finding the mineral water book fairly early in the game, so that of course helps.  As far as duct tape, they certainly upped the amount needed for everything so I'm using far more than I've ever used, which is an odd thing to do when you're making it more of a challenge to get larger quantities of water.

Some weirdness in with duct tape loot became very noticeable a couple days ago. I was consistently getting tape in every searchable automobile on the RWG map. My Navezgane save was giving me no tape, at all, but 2 murky appeared in sinks and toilets every time I looted.

Chickens were sitting around in every chunk, un-moving, so I had plenty of bones.

The following day, with both maps, it was 1 cloth in every lootable container and object, tape felt drops felt more random, and there was no water in any POI (thank goodness for the dew collector farm).

I haven't really commented on this because I figured that it's just due to the build being experimental. My experiences in the stable builds have yet to be completely bizarre. I mean, yeah, the world of the game is slightly bizarre, but the loot distribution usually makes sense, for me.

2 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Definitely sounds like some corruption in your save.  None of that should be happening.  A new game would probably work fine.

I did nuke both, removed the game, removed all files and folders for vanilla 7days, rebooted, reinstalled, and the weird RNG still occurred, just for different items. A20.7 Stable did not seem to have such an issue, but the A20's experimental builds did.

Every un-stable build since A14 (the oldest alpha that I have played, that I recall) has been, well, unstable. That any experimental build has odd behavior is something that I expect, but has often been funny or added a challenge that I never expected.