Big water problem always thirsty

Hello everyone 

I've been playing quite a while now not at the hardest difficulty either but for me and my friend it  is nearly impossible to play the actual game without being thirsty all the time and i mean like all the time the real problem isn't there since it's a surviving game but let's say we would need a flask or please bring back the glass jar because  it has become a living nightmare( it is right ) but the gameplay is just like NEED MURKY WATER ( Very rare) + YUCCA  + we could use snow before but that was removed too PLEASE HELP other than that i love this game continue the hardwork but this water problem is killing the gameplay hope you guys understand why.

Haven't had time to use the water collector but the time you actually have enough money to buy  the water  filter you would probably be dead 20 times of thirst and that's being nice 

Also  what are the buckets for ? they don't have an actual use right i can't really tell when it's full either but the biggest problem is not that BRING BACK THE GLASS JAR !

Hope i'm not the only one to experience this .

( Alpha 21 b317)

(I'm on Steam) 

Edited by Water rarer than gold now (see edit history)

I'd like to know what you were doing in the first few days of the game. In my experience thirst still isn't a problem at all. On my first day I was doing my starter quests, then head out to the trader, got my first quest, cleared a POI close to the trader to setup my first temporary base (got enough murky water for 2 days in that POI) and then did the quest I've got from the trader (again enough water for 2 days plus a pot to cook all that water). So when my second day started I already had plenty to drink and all the time to do 4 quest POI with even more water in loot and all the jetons I needed to buy my first water filter. On day three I could build my dew collector which provides enough water to never be thirsty again. So from that time on I could use all looted water to craft glue.

I mean I get that there is less water now than in A20, but I don't see how that affects thirst. In my experience it only affects the amount of glue you can craft in early game.

Of course different people play the game differently. Maybe you were chopping trees all day and mining all night, but then hunger should be an even bigger concern. So I'm curious what where you doing so that you had that much thirst and no drinks to compensate?

2 minutes ago, Jihh said:

In my experience thirst still isn't a problem at all. On my first day I was doing my starter quests, then head out to the trader, got my first quest, cleared a POI close to the trader to setup my first temporary base (got enough murky water for 2 days in that POI) and then did the quest I've got from the trader (again enough water for 2 days plus a pot to cook all that water).

It isn't an issue at all if you are focusing on looting and questing. In previous alphas you could do that a lot less and just refill jars and boil the water focusing on resource gathering, building, scouting, hunting etc. early game. Now as jar are magically gone it's impossible* - you have to loot, at least until you have big enough stash or/and dew collector.

(* or maybe not impossible, but not fun for me anymore, so I just switched to constantly looting)

As I said, of course you can play the game a way that thirst gets a problem, but as I also explained it's just two days of "work" (and that includes the first day where you spend most oft the time to get situated at a nice spot) to never have to worry about thirst again. And while I don't want to tell anyone how to play the game, it's still a survival game and thus sometimes you have to spend some time to survive. So I don't think investing two days to get your water problem fixed for the whole playthrough really isn't asked too much. I still didn't tell the OP what to do, but asked what way of playing lead to their problem, so I could maybe come up with a compromise that doesn't change their way of playing too much while still providing enough water to drink.

Also since everyone needs a pot sooner or later everyone is doing some looting anyway, right?

1 hour ago, Water rarer than gold now said:

Hello everyone 

I've been playing quite a while now not at the hardest difficulty either but for me and my friend it  is nearly impossible to play the actual game without being thirsty all the time and i mean like all the time the real problem isn't there since it's a surviving game but let's say we would need a flask or please bring back the glass jar because  it has become a living nightmare( it is right ) but the gameplay is just like NEED MURKY WATER ( Very rare) + YUCCA  + we could use snow before but that was removed too PLEASE HELP other than that i love this game continue the hardwork but this water problem is killing the gameplay hope you guys understand why.

Haven't had time to use the water collector but the time you actually have enough money to buy  the water  filter you would probably be dead 20 times of thirst and that's being nice 

Also  what are the buckets for ? they don't have an actual use right i can't really tell when it's full either but the biggest problem is not that BRING BACK THE GLASS JAR !

Hope i'm not the only one to experience this .

( Alpha 21 b317)

(I'm on Steam) 

Murky water really isn't all that rare.  Not sure exact numbers but from my own experience, you get a jar once for every two toilets you loot on average.  Are you looting these?  All beverage coolers and water dispensers have some form of drink.  If you use a pill to avoid dysentery and have a bandage to cover the health loss, you can drink right from any water source without a problem.  If you want, put a point into the healing perk and you regain 1 health every 35 seconds.  You lose 5 health drinking from a water source directly, so with that perk, you are healed within only 5 minutes 25 seconds, which isn't bad at all.

Same things to remember:

* Tea, coffee, etc. all are better uses of drinking water than if you just drink plain water.

* Make sure everyone in your group keeps an eye on the old books they read and if they find the mineral water book, start creating that right away.

* Boil all the murky water you find as you find it.  If needed, have a separate campfire just for that.  This needs a pot but traders sell those if you can't find one or make one.

* Avoid eating food that reduces water, like charred meat, corn of the cob, baked potatoes, corn bread, etc.  Only eat those if you have no other choice.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

I have no issues at all in single player with water. You find enough in loot to keep you hydrated. I never struggled to have enough to drink. You need to go looting. That is what i don´t like about the water change (and the crafting magazines for that matter) those changes make the game linear instead of having the freedom to play however you want.

If you struggle with water, do quests, best starting on day 1 (ofc depends how far away from the trader you spawn). You get money for  quests to buy drinks and you loot water while doing them, sometimes you can get 10 water as a quest reward aswell.

In MP Coop with 5 people it´s horrible with the water early game. Barely enough for drinking the first few days and making glue during the first week is nearly impossible. The water change really hit MP hard. In my SP it was no problem at all.

Buckets are basically for building. So that you can fill up a pool you want in your base for example.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

Definitely not everyone's preference but with a larger group, try not all doing the same quests the first couple of days.  Spread out and do different quests, even if you do them in twos.  This will get you more chance to loot enough water for the bigger group.  After the first couple of days, this shouldn't be an issue anymore.  Just a thought.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

5 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I have no issues at all in single player with water. You find enough in loot to keep you hydrated. I never struggled to have enough to drink. You need to go looting. That is what i don´t like about the water change (and the crafting magazines for that matter) those changes make the game linear instead of having the freedom to play however you want.

If you struggle with water, do quests, best starting on day 1 (ofc depends how far away from the trader you spawn). You get money for  quests to buy drinks and you loot water while doing them, sometimes you can get 10 water as a quest reward aswell.

In MP Coop with 5 people it´s horrible with the water early game. Barely enough for drinking the first few days and making glue during the first week is nearly impossible. The water change really hit MP hard. In my SP it was no problem at all.

Buckets are basically for building. So that you can fill up a pool you want in your base for example.

You have multiple people working together, buy water filters and setup dew collectors asap. in my single player game I have 8 dew collectors already by day 9 or so. Course you'd need alot more with that many people. They need to just make higher tiers of it I feel, that produce more water over the same time using the same 2x2 space. Maybe start with the base Dew collector, then you can use a upgrading tool like claw hammer with enough materials to tier it up so it produces more faster and has more storage slots. There is a mod on nexus that actually sort of does this already. it lets you combine 3 into 1 which generates packages of 3 water per slot 15% faster than the base one would gen 1. (as its 3 in 1 basically), then you can 3 of these triple dew collectors and turn it into one that generates packs of 9 water per slot, all in the same 2x2 space. This would help in MP as your going to need alot of purifiers for the people. Heres the mod maybe it'll help at least on the space needed, and it does make them produce 15% faster than normal as well when combined. https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/2986

5 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

You should know by now that TFP doesn't like the player to have choice, as they keep taking away more sandbox elements each alpha, it all started really with stealth being made so bad and poi's behind designed to be anti-stealth, then you have digging zombies, so you can't make a underground base. Also don't say it was done so you can't avoid horde night, go on any moderate sized poi and knock the stairs out and you can pretty much avoid any bloodmoon horde that way. They just wanted to remove choice from the player which is pretty much their motto these days. TFP seems to want to force us to play a certain way and will change things to do so. Most recent being the magazines. In single player its fine, as you'll be out looting anyway, but it really screws with multiplayer as you can't just be the stay at home builder or miner, you have to go out and loot now to get magazines and water. Its the opposite of the stat system, the stat system is aweful for single player, but works fine in MP as you can have your community str dude for mining etc, but when your in single player you have to do everything yourself and the stat system just forms 5 level gates, instead of a16.4's single level gate.

@Scyris The issue in MP is that we have 2 people at home doing the mining. building, famring, cooking and crafting. They don´t enjoy looting at all. That´s why we struggled with water early on.

It´s propably not a problem if everyone goes looting, but even then the system sucks. You actually need to go into different buildings because if you play as an actual party and do the same POI/quest together, you will get less water and less magazines than when everyone does their own building. Wich sucks bigtime. I don´t play with friends to go looting alone.

But this change has been made to make the game more "challenging".

Another way would of course to have actually added in more challenging content...

But making you scrabble around for longer for water and hence for things like glue and duct tape took a lot less time to develop.

Ironically, once you get to a good point water becomes equally unimportant as it used to be.

It's just a time and money sink.

In SP it´s no issue at all, that´s what really makes this change so awful. I can craft whatever i need whenever i need it. It´s really just there to force a certain playstyle. I really don´t get why they are so obsessed on making us play the game in one style only. I don´t get it.

4 hours ago, Scyris said:

In single player its fine, as you'll be out looting anyway

It isn't fine. I used to loot seldomly (focusing on mining/building), but now that game play style is not viable anymore.

20 minutes ago, Lasher said:

Another way would of course to have actually added in more challenging content...

lol, that made me laugh so hard, because it's so true 😂

11 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

they are so obsessed on making us play the game in one style only

They made all those POIs and you don't want to spent 99% of your time looting them? Shame on you! /s

@boban Wow. That really showed me. Maybe stop beeing salty about a single comment?  And that was actually just me saying that it is no surprise the game is going that way. I didn´t say i am happy about it. I literally just pointed out that anyone who is surprised they go that way didn´t pay any attention at all to the development of the game.

6 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Wow. That really showed me

That '/s' means sarcasm. Aimed at TFP and not you (as I agree with your comment 100%). Sorry if that came as I'm poking at you, as that wasn't my intention at all.

To the OP; something that may help if you really are having difficulty finding murky water would be to run a quest and then hit the vending machine in the traders station, a tier 1 quest wont take very long to do and should give you enough dukes to buy a good few Goldenrod/Red Tea. This is not something I would have done before A21, but my looters have been doing in our multiplayer game to keep the builders supplied, working well so far.

Other than that, I am sure someone has modded glass jars back in already if you really want them back, as its a pretty easy thing to do.

11 hours ago, boban said:

It isn't an issue at all if you are focusing on looting and questing. In previous alphas you could do that a lot less and just refill jars and boil the water focusing on resource gathering, building, scouting, hunting etc. early game. Now as jar are magically gone it's impossible* - you have to loot, at least until you have big enough stash or/and dew collector.

(* or maybe not impossible, but not fun for me anymore, so I just switched to constantly looting)

100% right. If you don`t follow up you will get real problems i guess. By the way: what meaning has snow have regarding thirst? I did not play snowy biome in A21 so far, does anybody know?

29 minutes ago, Ananais said:

To the OP; something that may help if you really are having difficulty finding murky water would be to run a quest and then hit the vending machine in the traders station, a tier 1 quest wont take very long to do and should give you enough dukes to buy a good few Goldenrod/Red Tea. This is not something I would have done before A21, but my looters have been doing in our multiplayer game to keep the builders supplied, working well so far.

Other than that, I am sure someone has modded glass jars back in already if you really want them back, as its a pretty easy thing to do.

Wich doesn´t matter without a mod for the crafting skill aswell, you need both modded if you want to break the cycle of beeing forced to loot constantly.

I mean you could simply enhance the droprate for magazines and jars in the xml for SP if you don´t want to go looting constantly . For public servers i wouldn´t do that as some people will abuse it to no end.

18 hours ago, Jihh said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond i do agree i didn't really think it through properly i can now see why you dind't have that problem  since the way i was playing what not the best but did the job before .

So to answer what i was doing we found this 6 or 7 skulls house whatever we got totally amazed by what we found then we continued just looting the houses and shops we found out quite late that the water system was changed that is totally my bad.

I can say that i play this game for fun and just to beat the game not than i'm saying u are or anything no sarcasm but uuhh yh dang if u don't drink from lakes ( even if i tried doing that didn't work maybe a lag  stil gotta explain the bucket situation x) ) you can not get enough water cause i'm not kidding we looked up like 10 houses right in this big town we found 4 murky water unlucky maybe but it went on like that. 

Again i hear what u are saying go next to the trader buy this do that but then it feels like getting up and going to work always same thing u know and know i was not chopping trees i was chopping zombies the ionly tree i chopped was with my bare hands at the start  x) anyways and for the food we did get lucky we found a grill and a pot  very early in the game so that's the luck that not everyone got from what i've seen and since we didn't concentrate on quests we  didn't have enough money to buy drinks so yh .

U know how u just wanna hop a game and play the game without thinking it through that's me x) see what happens if we die we die i hope i answered all your questions just so u can see the game from another point of view and again i've taken in account the important information that you gave me thanks by the way 

18 hours ago, Jihh said:

I'd like to know what you were doing in the first few days of the game. In my experience thirst still isn't a problem at all. On my first day I was doing my starter quests, then head out to the trader, got my first quest, cleared a POI close to the trader to setup my first temporary base (got enough murky water for 2 days in that POI) and then did the quest I've got from the trader (again enough water for 2 days plus a pot to cook all that water). So when my second day started I already had plenty to drink and all the time to do 4 quest POI with even more water in loot and all the jetons I needed to buy my first water filter. On day three I could build my dew collector which provides enough water to never be thirsty again. So from that time on I could use all looted water to craft glue.

I mean I get that there is less water now than in A20, but I don't see how that affects thirst. In my experience it only affects the amount of glue you can craft in early game.

Of course different people play the game differently. Maybe you were chopping trees all day and mining all night, but then hunger should be an even bigger concern. So I'm curious what where you doing so that you had that much thirst and no drinks to compensate?

7 hours ago, Lokeus said:

100% right. If you don`t follow up you will get real problems i guess. By the way: what meaning has snow have regarding thirst? I did not play snowy biome in A21 so far, does anybody know?

uhh the snow i probably mixed up with ps4 since i was on that before on ps4 u could from what i know just dig the snow and then on the fire u could combine the snow with a glass jar into water directly old times.  

I completely understand that you like to play in a very casual way that doesn't include caring for progress, but rather is oriented on exploring whatever comes your way. That's certainly a cool way to play, I do the same on the new Zelda game. While that actually works well to a certain degree in 7 Days to die, we have to keep in mind that it's a survival game. With the survival genre come survival aspects like scarcity of important stuff. Usually those games provide enough ways to overcome those scarcities, but it almost always takes some work. That's what we have with water now. In the past there wasn't any scarcity with water at all and thus it lacked the survival aspect. Now getting water is still so easy that you can be done with it after just 2-3 days. Therefor it shouldn't have a huge impact on your overall playing experience, but requires you to actually do a little bit of survival at the start of the game before you completely change a exploring playstile.

7 hours ago, Ananais said:

yh we will probably end up doing that modded glass jars here i come 

15 minutes ago, Jihh said:

I completely understand that you like to play in a very casual way that doesn't include caring for progress, but rather is oriented on exploring whatever comes your way. That's certainly a cool way to play, I do the same on the new Zelda game. While that actually works well to a certain degree in 7 Days to die, we have to keep in mind that it's a survival game. With the survival genre come survival aspects like scarcity of important stuff. Usually those games provide enough ways to overcome those scarcities, but it almost always takes some work. That's what we have with water now. In the past there wasn't any scarcity with water at all and thus it lacked the survival aspect. Now getting water is still so easy that you can be done with it after just 2-3 days. Therefor it shouldn't have a huge impact on your overall playing experience, but requires you to actually do a little bit of survival at the start of the game before you completely change a exploring playstile.

Yeah I totally get it you explained it very well but i was reading the others replies i they are trying to force us to play a certain way overall. um i was loooking a couple of examples u couldn't build an underground base and more didn't quite understand everything but the picture from what i see not as free to play as we should be and oh yh damn i was looking at this dude that responded that they were or 8 or 9 and water was a big problem i mean i don't have that problem since we were 2 but just goes to show i hope u see my way of seeing it too huh x) 

also i played green hell the water and food was for me quite well balanced donno if u played that game u will probably not agree with me it was harder to find a rock in that game than water but there was scarcity uh i remembered the flask in green hell that was a killer but like wouldn't a flask be a balance in between the glass jars and just drinking from lakes ' i see u coming the water dew but that's at base if you go out a flask would be needed right that's survival i donn,o how they could do that maybe just fill it up and boil it but only one possible an surely not to much capacity what do u say ?

8 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

In SP it´s no issue at all, that´s what really makes this change so awful. I can craft whatever i need whenever i need it. It´s really just there to force a certain playstyle. I really don´t get why they are so obsessed on making us play the game in one style only. I don´t get it.

For real 

8 hours ago, Lasher said:

But this change has been made to make the game more "challenging".

But making you scrabble around for longer for water and hence for things like glue and duct tape took a lot less time to develop.

Ironically, once you get to a good point water becomes equally unimportant as it used to be.

It's just a time and money sink.

I'll join you on that one "time and money sink "

12 hours ago, Scyris said:

You have multiple people working together, buy water filters and setup dew collectors asap. in my single player game I have 8 dew collectors already by day 9 or so. Course you'd need alot more with that many people. They need to just make higher tiers of it I feel, that produce more water over the same time using the same 2x2 space. Maybe start with the base Dew collector, then you can use a upgrading tool like claw hammer with enough materials to tier it up so it produces more faster and has more storage slots. There is a mod on nexus that actually sort of does this already. it lets you combine 3 into 1 which generates packages of 3 water per slot 15% faster than the base one would gen 1. (as its 3 in 1 basically), then you can 3 of these triple dew collectors and turn it into one that generates packs of 9 water per slot, all in the same 2x2 space. This would help in MP as your going to need alot of purifiers for the people. Heres the mod maybe it'll help at least on the space needed, and it does make them produce 15% faster than normal as well when combined. https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/2986

You should know by now that TFP doesn't like the player to have choice, as they keep taking away more sandbox elements each alpha, it all started really with stealth being made so bad and poi's behind designed to be anti-stealth, then you have digging zombies, so you can't make a underground base. Also don't say it was done so you can't avoid horde night, go on any moderate sized poi and knock the stairs out and you can pretty much avoid any bloodmoon horde that way. They just wanted to remove choice from the player which is pretty much their motto these days. TFP seems to want to force us to play a certain way and will change things to do so. Most recent being the magazines. In single player its fine, as you'll be out looting anyway, but it really screws with multiplayer as you can't just be the stay at home builder or miner, you have to go out and loot now to get magazines and water. Its the opposite of the stat system, the stat system is aweful for single player, but works fine in MP as you can have your community str dude for mining etc, but when your in single player you have to do everything yourself and the stat system just forms 5 level gates, instead of a16.4's single level gate.

dang beleive me i really did read everything just don't know what to respond  have a good one thanks for taking the time to respond 

19 hours ago, boban said:

everything has been said 

I agree that they are forcing us to play a certain way in some regards. Like questing being the most efficient way to play and some stuff (like solar panels) being trader exclusive. I dislike that trader oriented gameplay, because it doesn't make sense in my opinion. If there were enough costumer for that many traders to live of off their business, then were are all those people? Also before A17 I always played with loot respawn off, so I'll have to explore the whole map sooner or later. But with quests resetting POI there is no point in turning loot respawn off anymore and thus I only visit nearby towns for their traders and when I need something specific.
Also I don't think zombies digging down is a good way of making people go outside. I rather have pull factors than push factors. Magazines actually do a way better job here. They make me want to go outside. That said I stopped doing underground bases long before that change, so I didn't even need the change, but I'm still of the opinion that pull factors are a better way.

But I absolutely disagree that the water change is forcing us to play a certain way. As I already explained that's just common survival mechanics in a survival game. Food and water shouldn't be a no brainer from the very first minute of playing, but they still are, as long as you do a bare minimum of tasks that can easily be done on the side. Of course, if people completely disregard the survival aspect of the game, there is a change they will have a shortage of water and food, but that should be expected in a survival game. I mean what's next? People saying that zombies are too strong, because they don't like killing them? Are TFP forcing us to play a certain way (killing zombies) by placing them everywhere?
I know my last sentences can sound a bit harsh, but as I explained in my previous comments, I do realize that people play differently and I do think that's fine. I just don't think that including survival aspects in a survival game is a bad thing and TFP really are giving us a slack in terms of food and water. Even lighthearted games like Raft need you to invest more time in actual survival.

1st paragraph Yes sir 

2nd paragraph i know what you're saying at the end of the day it's a survival game but still like i know it'w a game yh i don't really know if they wanted it realistic i like the fact that they added a dew collector but what the hell drinking from lakes ' yh all good we will get health back  with the skill i feel just thinking of  directly drinking  from lakes is a big problem on it's own they could have added like a pill or something to make it drinkable a water purifier that would make more sense make it rare but not that rare u know cause for me just thinking of drinking from lakes directly knowing that there are frekin dead people walking around a virus too that we could get drinking water u know i feel like it's far fetched cause damn the infection if u have no armor they have no problem on giving u one don't u worry about that i really think they should rethink that.