The game crashes in a certain location

badstudent

Hi all,

Me and my friend played 7 days to die (+Undead Legacy MOD) for several weeks. I am the host. And today, for the first time, the game crashed. We were just driving the van to the house after completing a series of quests and the game crashed. Well, we decided just to restart. However, the game now constantly crashes after a few tens of seconds. And the closer I get to our house, the faster it crashes. If I am 150 meters from the house, and I take a few steps towards it, the game immediately crashes. It also seems to be affected by the draw distance, which I switch in the graphics settings. The lower the draw distance, the closer to home I can get. I tried to start the game and run in the opposite direction from the house, the game did not crash even after 20-30 minutes. I also tried to start a new game on the same map and did not notice any problems in 10 minutes. Is there any option to continue the game with the same characters in the same world? Perhaps by sacrificing something that is broken (some kind of blocks, vehicles or loot).

I tried to reinstall the game from Steam and the mod (Undead Legacy), but it does not resolve the issue.

Thank you in advance.

Game Version: A20.6 b9

Platform: Steam

OS/Version: Windows x64

CPU Model: Intel i5 9400F

System Memory: 16 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: nVidia GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB

Screen Resolution: 2560x1440

Video Settings: I have tried several default setting + combination of custom settings

Game mode: "MP host" then tried single

Did you wipe old saves? As I see, I don't have such old saves that could be usefull

Did you start a new game? Yes, everything OK

Did you validate your files? If it means from steam then yes

Are you using any mods? Yes, Undead legacy 2.6.17. No other mods installed

EAC on or off? OFF

STR: 

1) Load from the savefile

2) Run towards the red flag

AR:

Game crashes after 2 steps (on low graphic settings)

Here you can find saves, output logfile and launcher log:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1uTS9qA8fk_fY_1vL9wWINusmcvoBGneJ

Well, I can't try reading that log on my phone as through Google docs it is way too wrapped, but what you describe sounds like a corrupted region file.  The log should show what region if this is the case.  You would have to delete the region file to keep playing, but anything that is changed in that region will be lost.  If that happens to be where your base is, it will be gone.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Maybe a little insight here, BepInEx acts like a memory injection for modding and your log file just ends with no closing which typically is some sort of system issue. That being said, it is likely some system protection not liking what the mod is doing and killing it to prevent what it sees as dangerous... so those are areas to check. Other than that, I would move this to the mod help forum section.

8 hours ago, Riamus said:

Well, I can't try reading that log on my phone as through Google docs it is way too wrapped, but what you describe sounds like a corrupted region file.  The log should show what region if this is the case.  You would have to delete the region file to keep playing, but anything that is changed in that region will be lost.  If that happens to be where your base is, it will be gone.

I have already tried to remove some regions just to check this versions. I removed 10-15 last modified regions, because I don't know what a specific region is broken. I don't have a problem after that, but is is not acceptable solution for me to lose all the loot )

9 hours ago, badstudent said:

I have already tried to remove some regions just to check this versions. I removed 10-15 last modified regions, because I don't know what a specific region is broken. I don't have a problem after that, but is is not acceptable solution for me to lose all the loot )

The one time I had a corrupted region, it happened that the region file was 0 bytes.  But that isn't guaranteed to the case.

I just looked at the log on my computer and it doesn't include the entire log.  Nowhere in the log does it include anything that suggests a crash.  It seems to only include the first part of the log.  You should include a log that shows the crash happening.  Pastebin works well for sharing logs, but if you prefer to put it on Google, that's fine.  I just can't view it on my phone, unlike with Pastebin.  But someone else can probably help even if I can't.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Riamus said:

The one time I had a corrupted region, it happened that the region file was 0 bytes.  But that isn't guaranteed to the case.

I just looked at the log on my computer and it doesn't include the entire log.  Nowhere in the log does it include anything that suggests a crash.  It seems to only include the first part of the log.  You should include a log that shows the crash happening.  Pastebin works well for sharing logs, but if you prefer to put it on Google, that's fine.  I just can't view it on my phone, unlike with Pastebin.  But someone else can probably help even if I can't.

Thanks for trying to help.

Unfortunately I don't see any usefull information in output logfile, but here it is on pastebin:

https://pastebin.com/Qe4Xd9rF

1 minute ago, badstudent said:

Thanks for trying to help.

Unfortunately I don't see any usefull information in output logfile, but here it is on pastebin:

https://pastebin.com/Qe4Xd9rF

It still only shows the startup log.  You want to get a log that shows you playing the game and then going toward your base and crashing.  The end of this is just that you lost connection to the lobby, which isn't what you're describing.

@badstudentFollowing up on Jugginators post. Add two folder exclusions in Defender for the game and save folders. Would look similar to this when done:AddExclusions.jpg.140a5c70b71fae228f3582875ce66ebd.jpg

1 hour ago, badstudent said:

Unfortunately I don't see any other logs except those

Your log shows you're using the latest version of UL, but your world name is "20.2" which I'm guessing is named after the alpha 20.2 from a year ago.

There was an update to UL last October, 2.6.08 that required any recycling stations to be picked up before updating, or you would get corrupted regions.

As that is your symptom, I'm guessing you did not pick up recycling stations when updating UL.

24 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

@badstudentFollowing up on Jugginators post. Add two folder exclusions in Defender for the game and save folders. Would look similar to this when done:AddExclusions.jpg.140a5c70b71fae228f3582875ce66ebd.jpg

Your log shows you're using the latest version of UL, but your world name is "20.2" which I'm guessing is named after the alpha 20.2 from a year ago.

There was an update to UL last October, 2.6.08 that required any recycling stations to be picked up before updating, or you would get corrupted regions.

As that is your symptom, I'm guessing you did not pick up recycling stations when updating UL.

Thanks for your guesses

Don't pay attention on world name. It is just because of second attempt on playing latest Alpha20 + UL.

We generated this world and started to play it 16/03/2023 on A20.6 b9 + Undead legacy 2.6.17. Nothing has changed in this regard.

I have just added these two folders to exceptions and tried to launch the world again, but nothing changed (

Here the latest output logfile: https://pastebin.com/rchBxAz4

Edited by badstudent (see edit history)

Does the game crash at soon as you enter the game now?  Maybe that is why the logs aren't showing much.  You had said before that you could play some until going toward your base.  Maybe you still have a log from when you could play some before going toward your base?  Look for a recent log that is larger than these and it'll probably give more info.

41 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Does the game crash at soon as you enter the game now? 

No, only when i make few step towards home

I have played for ~5 minutes (running in the opposite direction from home, killing some zombies, sawing trees, etc. and then running near to it again). As ealier when I approached the house at about 100 meters, the game crashed

Here the new logfile: https://pastebin.com/iNYkEv3h

I was hoping that there would be someone to download the saves and test it "live". I understood that it is not clean version of 7dtd, and mostly it is "3rd party issue", but this mod quite popular. And I haven't even found something to cling to yet.

Edited by badstudent (see edit history)

It is odd not to see any errors.  Both logs showed a warning for missing parent, but that shouldn't cause a crash, so it's probably unrelated, though it could be the trigger.

Maybe someone else has some ideas.  Did you happen to remove, disable, or update any mods after you created this game?

14 hours ago, Riamus said:

It is odd not to see any errors.  Both logs showed a warning for missing parent, but that shouldn't cause a crash, so it's probably unrelated, though it could be the trigger.

Maybe someone else has some ideas.  Did you happen to remove, disable, or update any mods after you created this game?

I would guess in case of a hard crash log entries may get lost because they are in a buffer and not yet written to disk. Usually crashes are still caught and handled by some routines and then you can read about the crash in the logs. But it seems there are limits to what can get caught.

3 hours ago, badstudent said:

Also I was hoping that someone could help to find broken something loot/block/vehicle/etc and can help to remove/repair it through console.

Not without a savegame viewer/editor that does not exist to my knowledge.

One thing that can help is making frequent backups of the savegame. Too late for you now, but maybe an idea for the future.

I ran around my base for several minutes, went to the merchant for rewards. Some buildings are drawn around, which were not there before, and they disappear when approaching them. The landscape has changed a lot, some roads now only partially exist. interesting glitch)

That is the bad region for sure per the log. Unfortunately, if you delete the region your base will get deleted. You could “try” to go into god mode, enter your base and try to remove as much of your stuff and take it far from your base. There is a command that’s used for bug reports that shows the region. This is older info so I can’t be sure it still works but try it anyway:  

• 3 months later...

Today (07/22/2023) i got exactly same situation like decribed on OP post: i went to hunt to far regions, but when i approach my base - game crashed and nothing sussy in logs.

I did some investigations and i got some solution:

TL;DR (read all before do this):

1. Go to your profile and find 7DaysToDie folder:

• its like "C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\<Your World Name>\<YOUR SAVE NAME>\"
  • ‼️  i RECOMMEND TO MAKE A FULL BACKUP OF "C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie" BEFORE MAKING NEXT STEPS.

2. In Save folder there is two files: "power.dat" and "power.dat.bak" (sometimes last one may not exist) - DELETE THEM‼️ But remember: after you delete those files - all electricity wires will be removed and also contents of Generators, Power Banks will be vanised too (but generators, powebanks, harware stays).‼️

3. Try open your Save. It helped me alot and i hope it will help you too.

Assumptions:

The probable reasons why this happened: before i went to hunt - i leaved Recycler ON to recycle Dukes to brass while i away. And when i came back - it probably caused some kind of game crashing bug. So it probably Recycler or electicity bug. Recycler contents did't vanished after that for me.

UPD: i forgot to clarify my game version:

7D2D: Alpha, 20.6(b9)

Undead Legacy: 2.6.17 (stable)

i play locally

Edited by minulla
frogot to say my game client version (see edit history)