Gyrocopter movement on the ground

ungkor

I like using the Gyrocopter, but I find it annoying how easy it is to get it stuck on a post or curb.  

It might not be realistic, but I think it would benefit the 'fun' aspect of the game to just let the gyrocopter have better movement speed when on the ground.   It shouldn't take 30 seconds to try to back out of being up against a tree or cub.   Just let it drive about the same speed as a bicycle so its easier to get unstuck. 

I agree that a faster reverse speed would be helpful.  A tip for now is to press space as if you were going up in the air. It will raise the front wheel off the ground and you can back up a little more quickly (still slowly).  It also makes it easier to turn when backing up, which is odd considering the tire for turning is off the ground.

Ah yes. The love-hated gyro. I always seem to clip a light pole, often a tree, or some other structure thats over five blocks high on my ascents. And if i am stuck, for me its easier to dismount the wonky contraption, pick it up and then place it for another go at it. That is if there's not some wandering horde on the runway.  It's not the best vehicle for getting away in a hurry in the cities, for sure.

Now, a jetpack would be a lot better. Up, up and away! 

In the meantime, I weigh the benefits of driving vs flying. Driving, although not as fast obviously, is usually my choice. Can't stop and raid a bird nest when ya can't even see them. But when I do gyrocopter, its always a gamble. Risk a crash during take-off or hit really hard upon landing? I prefer the motorcycle or 4x4 in vanilla. 

I vote for a jetpack. I'd for sure add it if it were a mod.

As an aside, I recall visiting Disneyland as a child. There I watched a jetpack demo. The pilot went up maybe 10 meters (yards). Those mini-turbines were loud! But that was it...just up and down. I'd bet his legs got hot though....🧯

Edited by Melange
typo. there. i fixed it (see edit history)

23 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

get out > pick up > set back down > try again.

12 second.

But... I do like the idea of getting out to push to avoid these previous 4 steps.

Fair enough. But if ya get out, push, then try again....what, maybe 4 seconds gained if all goes well? Three steps instead of four. You win. But for thousands of hours played, do those few seconds amount to anything? Nope. Do the thousands of game hours amount to anything? Not much really. Is the gyrocopter an unwieldy contraption? Yes, very much so.

13 hours ago, ungkor said:

Except when the inventory is full.  

Ah, that does present a potential problem. So if you can't scrap some items, or really throw out something (some seeds for example) and pick them up shortly there after, then yes, you are up the creek without a paddle. Leave the gyrocopter and run away because your backpack's inventory is more precious than your vehicle? 

Doubt that you'll be be making that decision more than once.

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

I assumed he means BOTH inventories, player and gyro. A couple boxes does the trick, but it's not exactly something one wants to spend time on.

Yes, but if one's inventory is indeed full and doesn't want to discard anything, then the ability to craft a basic storage chest without an availble empty slot has become a problem too. Lighten up, throw out something that in the grand scheme of things won't add up to anything.

Reminds me of baboons during a visit to Southern Africa. They'd raid a row of fresh harvestable corn, tucking the ears under their armpits, only to be able to carry maybe three ears of corn at anytime. But hey, keep plucking. Greed doesn't pay, even if your stiff fist tells you otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Melange said:

Yes, but if one's inventory is indeed full and doesn't want to discard anything, then the ability to craft a basic storage chest without an availble empty slot has become a problem too.

Exactly; but the snippet you both were quoting sounded like a simple pickup of the gyro.. although, I'll have to admit, for sufficiently large values of "pick up" the quote could potentially cover "drop a thing, craft a box, place the box, empty your inventory, empty the gyro inventory, pick up the gyro" .. it could, I swear!

"12 seconds" might take some drilling, but should be possible... :)

2 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Exactly; but the snippet you both were quoting sounded like a simple pickup of the gyro.. although, I'll have to admit, for sufficiently large values of "pick up" the quote could potentially cover "drop a thing, craft a box, place the box, empty your inventory, empty the gyro inventory, pick up the gyro" .. it could, I swear!

"12 seconds" might take some drilling, but should be possible... :)

Lol. I seldom put anything into a vehicle's inventory because I want to be able to pick it up at a moment's notice. Never considered that step because that's how I play. Unless I'm making a big haul to my next base, and the damned gyro is not part of the move.  Okay, I'll grant you that possibility.

Again, we all play in a different way. That's the beauty of the game, imo. Right or wrong, modded or vanilla.  Are we having fun yet? I'd say so. Ok, maybe a few seconds more, but I get it 😉

59 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Reminds me of Alpha 15 when the minibike touched water. It stopped working. You had to empty the inventory, disassemble the minibike and reassemble it. The minibike at that time had parts that could be replaced. For example, you could replace the engine with a better engine.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

On 10/31/2022 at 11:16 AM, Vampirenostra said:

me personally prefer to take my gyro along with me into 4-5 lvl pois, so when I reach the top of the skyscraper I just put my gyro, load it up full of loot and "Away we go!", but sometimes it gets stuck... and That sucks)))

Base jumping with a gyro? Sounds fun.  I always get parkour up to max and combined with other things that help with talking, I can usually jump down easily enough. 😁