Mega Cities

Callum123456789

I was always told that you couldn't generate huge cities due to the general rule of cities/towns cannot cross biome lines but as of a20.6 with the new rwg if you generate a one biome map you still cannot make a huge city almost like those invisible biome lines are still there for some reason i was curious if anyone would know a work around for this?

5 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Does KingGen still work? I ask because this map of New York City was made with KingGen and the world editor. I haven't tried the map, my PC does ok with vanilla large cities, I just don't think it'd do so well with a mega city.

NYC Map:

https://7daystodiemods.com/map-new-york-undead/

I've heard someone did get a kinggen a20 map but without the fancy roads and sewer systems but other than kinggen hasn't been updated for a20 from my knowledge due to the random gen drastically changing from a19s gen system 

8 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

It can be done.  Jawoodle did a Mega Cities  play through and Teragon (still in development) may be able to.  IIRC the biomes can be modified after generation but before starting a play through (by editing the biome image). 

I watched that series by Jawoodle and it was excellent fun! Though, IIRC, the map he played on was custom-generated by a modder and I don't think the mod is available to the public. You can probably download the same map Jawoodle used. Also, to be clear, it wasn't one mega-sized city, it was several large cities in close proximity. Still fun, though!

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

I was always told that you couldn't generate huge cities due to the general rule of cities/towns cannot cross biome lines

I can’t speak to the rest of your post but I can say that over the years I have played in plenty of generated worlds using the vanilla generator where part of a city was in one biome and part in another so I’m not certain I believe that general rule. 

I think it more likely that there is code limiting the size of a city and probably establishing a minimum buffer zone between cities

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

I watched that series by Jawoodle and it was excellent fun! Though, IIRC, the map he played on was custom-generated by a modder and I don't think the mod is available to the public. You can probably download the same map Jawoodle used. Also, to be clear, it wasn't one mega-sized city, it was several large cities in close proximity. Still fun, though!

There's a Mod you can download and install to generate your own megacity. How well it works I can't say.

https://github.com/JaWoodle/megacitymod

16 hours ago, Roland said:

I can’t speak to the rest of your post but I can say that over the years I have played in plenty of generated worlds using the vanilla generator where part of a city was in one biome and part in another so I’m not certain I believe that general rule. 

I think it more likely that there is code limiting the size of a city and probably establishing a minimum buffer zone between cities

Ah I see in older alphas you were able to generate huge cities covering the map if it was 5k I guess something was changed that prevents that for a reason