New Feature - Save Game

ungkor

I think it would be nice to have a save feature in the game.   Not that any player could invoke, but that would happen every hour or so automatically, in case something glitched or went wrong with the game.   Maybe a rolling set of 5 backups, not controlled by the player. 

Personally, I've had the game crash and lost hours of play due to a corrupted game file.   I know how to safeguard myself by backing up the appropriate files, but it seems like this should be a standard part of an alpha build.

This has been discussed multiple times and even recently.  Basic situation?  This game is designed with consequences and your actions take an active role in the world around you evolving.  Allowing you to "restore from backup" easily cheapens that experience.  TFP does not want to cheapen that experience.changing

Having said that they definitely need to take more steps to avoid and/or correct corrupted saves because it still happens all too regularly when the game or your computer crashes.

Can you imagine all the kids screaming when their 10 saves for scrubbing are taking up 20GB of space on their drives?

This is a basic function in games whose save files are less than 150MB, and who are only storing small amounts of static data. 7 Days is constantly reading and writing map and character data, and just one map region can far exceed the size of the other games saves because of the amount of complex data that is in it.

My current save is 1.7GB. If there were a rolling backup of 5 instances, then the total save storage would be 10.2GB. I normally have three or four different games going, so that comes to over 30-40GB of storage.  Not to mention, what is your PC doing when it's making those backups? Well, since you're playing it's going to put a bit of strain on your CPU, RAM, and Storage to make that backup happen. People already complain about their PC's struggling just to play.

Time is better spent in fixing the crash issue. 

If the game would just make a copy of whatever save is being loaded, it would eliminate the issue of losing a complete playthrough due to crash/power outage, instead limiting the loss to the current session. 

Folks only lose the save that is in-progress. There is no need to save copies of the whole library at all times.

Just one extra slot for whichever save is being used at the moment. No mountain of save games. 

The only issue I see with that is that a lot of times the game can still be loaded with a corrupted file. So the player sees their stuff is all gone and it’s day 1 and they are a beginning character again so they log off and the game overwrites their last backup with the new backup. 

Archived