What is it called when the trader has a wall and its got all the building materials on it like Rock,sand etc?

Biglittle

Trying to find the name for the mod or how to create the wall like area that prevents some players from building massive holes in the world for resources? ive previously been on servers where there is a wall type thing and on it had rock, sand, iron etc but I cant remember its name if anyone can help please?

Oh. OK, seems my previous post turned into a little unintentional humor .. all for the use of "prevent". I mean, preventing anyone digging anywhere would achieve the goal..

But I guess you're looking for infinitely minable blocks of some sort. Sorry, I don't know anything about such mods =/

16 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Odd, that holes would cause more lag than the blocks that were there.

Terrain blocks aren't really there unless they have a face that "can" be drawn; you can see this whenever your head clips terrain in a mine. You can see all the tunnels you've dug, but none of the terrain surrounding them.

This makes every block you reveal by mining a new block in the area, and thus requires some extra computing power to figure if you can see it.

6 hours ago, theFlu said:

Terrain blocks aren't really there unless they have a face that "can" be drawn; you can see this whenever your head clips terrain in a mine. You can see all the tunnels you've dug, but none of the terrain surrounding them.

This makes every block you reveal by mining a new block in the area, and thus requires some extra computing power to figure if you can see it.

precisely...

voxel games have to treat a completely destroyable world a whole lot differently then that of a static map game. it is more extensive in computing all changes as quick as possible but there is always many factors and many computer scenarios that affect this.

if our game was not destroyable to the extent that it is, we wouldnt see this issue but right now, its the price for being fully voxel and destroying (barring sky and bedrock obviously). :)

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

I recall a few years ago being on a massive server (so many players the lag was almost unbearable) that did have a huge community base where they had an area where there were walls made out of the different resources. People could go there and just stand in front of the wall with the resource they wanted and mine away for as long as they liked. The resource would just respawn in front of you. I did ask someone how they did it and I can't recall if they made the mod or just directed me to it to do the same thing. I haven't thought of that in years. I don't think I have seen the mod around for about that same amount of time.

Hmm, it might a downgrade-path hack. As in, when blocks are destroyed, some of them will go through visibly different stages, each stage is a step on the path. Think doors, cars, wooden spikes etc etc.

That is setup something like

(when a block is destroyed, check if it has a downgrade)

(if it does, replace the current block with that block)

Now, obviously, if you set the downgrade block into the original, you'll get your old block replaced by a fresh copy, and end up having a loop => neverending mining.

Sample from a car:

blocks.xml(22503)

<property name="DowngradeBlock" value="cntCar03Sedan3WideDamage2v06"/>

7 hours ago, theFlu said:

Hmm, it might a downgrade-path hack. As in, when blocks are destroyed, some of them will go through visibly different stages, each stage is a step on the path. Think doors, cars, wooden spikes etc etc.

That is setup something like

(when a block is destroyed, check if it has a downgrade)

(if it does, replace the current block with that block)

Now, obviously, if you set the downgrade block into the original, you'll get your old block replaced by a fresh copy, and end up having a loop => neverending mining.

Sample from a car:

blocks.xml(22503)

<property name="DowngradeBlock" value="cntCar03Sedan3WideDamage2v06"/>

I think someone did explain how it worked one time and that sounds familiar. It was if you hit a boulder and you could see it breaking down but when you made the last hit the boulder would downgrade to a boulder..

They may have simplified it by having a certain block say like a wood frame and then having that block have the resources of say iron added to it so if you hit it you would get scrap iron. Then they could make a little 2x3 wall of that block and players could walk up to it and mine it for scrap iron but not destroy it. Then they would make another one that gave you lead and do same thing and so on with all the resources.

Now what you got was very low amount, you wouldn't be able to just go to these and mine resources to make your entire base. I think it was more for if you needed say a hundred iron to make a tool. It would be worth it for something small but not enough that it would be worth your while to do all your mining there.

I don't have the posts I had made about it as I think it was on the "old" forum which was tragically lost in the big overhaul.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 12:47 AM, Gamida said:

I recall a few years ago being on a massive server (so many players the lag was almost unbearable) that did have a huge community base where they had an area where there were walls made out of the different resources. People could go there and just stand in front of the wall with the resource they wanted and mine away for as long as they liked. The resource would just respawn in front of you. I did ask someone how they did it and I can't recall if they made the mod or just directed me to it to do the same thing. I haven't thought of that in years. I don't think I have seen the mod around for about that same amount of time.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:20 AM, Biglittle said:

Thanks for the replies, "Gamida" yes that is exactly what I am talking about! But I have been trying to find its name to see if there are any mods around as my server needs it, thanks again guys have a lovely weekend!.

Was searching through my imgur for something and found an actual pic I had took of the wall I was talking about.

EDIT: I thiank server name was Deathlight.

g5UVpo1.png?1

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)