Possible to auger down in line with the cardinal directions?

Here's what I mean. I use the auger to dig a hole straight down into the ground below me. It makes a "square" like hole, but it is more like a diamond because when I try to place ladders, the ladders go into the corners of the diamond, not the sides of the square as I would hope. Is there a way to align the auger's hole (or alternatively the ladders) so that it allows me to place the ladders on a side wall instead of into a corner?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks for any insights or suggestions.

Edited by Apocalyptical Survivor (see edit history)

Highly doubt something like this would get addressed as it's not a bug. As opposed to games like Minecraft where voxels only ever appear in cube form, they've designed the ground voxel blocks in 7DTD to deform in a way that blends them together with neighboring blocks in order to get a more natural look. The unfortunate result is that single-block holes look a bit awkward. If you're digging a shaft for a permanent entrance to an underground base or whatever, I'd recommend a 3x3 shaft that is lined with construction blocks making a hole in the center.

Dig straight down to bedrock.

nerdpole back up.

Dig right beside it to bedrock, then put ladders on the blocks to get back.

Been doing that for ages. It's basically the easiest way to get ladders in correctly.

(and if you're gonna mine out around it anyway, then you still have a way back up!

Technically yes, you can rotate the ladder blocks to a diagonal heading to match the diamond. But when you see that diamond shape in your 1x1 block hole, you’re seeing a full block of space partially filled in to make the diamond. In other words the diamond is inside the square, not the other way around.  And the ladder’s position is relative to the whole voxel, rather than plastered onto wherever the terrain’s surface is. So while you can easily place the ladder to align with the wall of the diamond-shaped hole, it will probably be entirely swallowed up by the terrain.