Wondering Horde Oddity, maybe?

Rotor

So, I have noticed a couple of times, first with a pack of dires and then a couple of days ago with a  Z horde.  These two encounters had me laying down a brick when I saw them coming, all of a sudden.  Full sprint in my direction.  I had seen such things from afar atop my perch, but these two I encountered while on the ground day time.  No feral on days time for me.  Anyways, both the dire pack and the Z horde rant right past me.  Like I wasnt there or they had somewhere else more important to go.

Working as intended?

Yup. For their intended behaviour: they spawn, aim a bit past your current location and sprint there. They're not meant to run directly at you and will only really agro if you're shooting or otherwise loud enough to attract them. (Or move in their way, or have feral sense on or some such)

I've had hordes walk past me as well, so I'm inclined to say working as intended. Though I should clarify I was several blocks away from them (at least 15-25 give or take) so without feral sense, they normally wouldn't detect me anyway. Unless they literally ran right past you within a few blocks, it sounds like normal behavior.

I think it's normal behaviour if the wandering zombies haven't spotted you and they just head towards a random spot near your position.

However I had also cases where I was on top of my base where I saw random hordes change direction towards my base ( that was with feral sense on day & night), but when I jumped down to combat them, quite a few passed by right next to me and gave a block close to my base entrance some whacks. Only after a few hits they retargeted to me and actually attacked me as a player instead of the base.

So my impression is, that zombies in A20 hold on to a once chosen target for quite a bit longer than in previous Alphas.

3 hours ago, Rotor said:

So, I have noticed a couple of times, first with a pack of dires and then a couple of days ago with a  Z horde.  These two encounters had me laying down a brick when I saw them coming, all of a sudden.  Full sprint in my direction.  I had seen such things from afar atop my perch, but these two I encountered while on the ground day time.  No feral on days time for me.  Anyways, both the dire pack and the Z horde rant right past me.  Like I wasnt there or they had somewhere else more important to go.

Working as intended?

From my experience, it seems to be.  I had a pack of wolves run by when I was crouching down so they were not aware of me.  That allowed me to draw them towards me one at a time via sneak shots.  Zombie wandering hordes always seem to be able to find me, but I have feral sense on so its like I rolled around in brains prior to their arrival.

Yeah, this is pretty typical. I have one of the large horde mods running and even when it appears that they were heading straight for me, a good portion of the horde has to be chased down as they wander away. Back in the day I used to have more moments when I was happy about this, day 2 watching zombie bears and dogs run past with me sh*tting a brick, but eventually that changed. That's XP that's running away. Admittedly this perspective has gotten me into trouble at times but what is a game without risk anyways.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:10 PM, BFT2020 said:

From my experience, it seems to be.  I had a pack of wolves run by when I was crouching down so they were not aware of me.  That allowed me to draw them towards me one at a time via sneak shots.  Zombie wandering hordes always seem to be able to find me, but I have feral sense on so its like I rolled around in brains prior to their arrival.

ooooh, nothing better than being outside and notice a pack of dogs running by a little ways away so you crouch in the "if they come this way I am already in the crap myself position" and they run on by so you get the hell out of there.