Server doesn't show up on server browser after a20.4 update

laila

This is an urgent request. My whole community is dead until I am able to fix this issue and I host a pretty busy server.

on a20.3 my server (Dedicated, Linux) would throw a SIGILL error and wouldn't start. I was able to fix this by removing the crossplatform=eos line in platform.cfg

Now after I updated my servers this afternoon, I had the same issue. SIGILL error. So i went and removed the line. The servers start but they don't show up in the servers list, as if they are unable to bind to an IP.

If a friend joins, the server shows up, but the IP field is empty.

People are only able to reach it and play via direct ip connection.

I need to fix this ASAP.

That has nothing to do with this issue. This is much worse than that. It's something the game devs should look into ASAP. 

I recreated this error on a computer (client) and came up to the conclusion that the problem is the EOS crossplatform directive in platform.cfg it affects both Linux servers on AMD hardware and the linux client for steam. 

Today I ran a little test on a home computer on an AMD phenom x4 running linux fedora and after installing the game via steam, the game would freeze up in the loading screen. 
I went on, removed the crossplatform=EOS from platform.cfg and the game started. 

The problem is now in a20.4 b42 that seems like the server IP for the server browser is gathered by this directive, so dedicated servers on linux using AMD hardware are unable to host this game anymore until this gets fixed.

I have temporarily switched the gameserver to one of my Dual Xeon servers but this is only a contingency, since I use this server for other purposes (I'm a systems engineer/Software dev and this is my personal testing server)

I really hope this gets patched up because it affects linux players and linux dedicated servers. 

In my case, I host two servers and have a pretty large community. I stayed up until 2 AM trying to sort this out and performing a last minute migration to different hardware before my players started rioting. 

It was working flawlessly in a20.3 without the crossplatform=EOS in the dedicated server's crossplatform.cfg file.

I have a debian server running on a rented virtual machine where /proc/cpuinfo tells me "vendor id : AuthenticAMD.". In a virtual machine that probably isn't proof but a strong indication that I am on an AMD server.

My server works with 20.3 without any edits of the crossplatform line. Thus it can't be linux and AMD alone that leads to this problem.

Also my client runs on an AMD Ubuntu system without any need to for edits. Both server and client CPUs are ryzen.

Since your test system was an old bulldozer CPU, is your server one as well? 

By the way, you already posted about this here in the forum , but did not reply when one of the devs asked you about the exact CPU model as well: https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/92-native-linux-server-with-management-scripts/?do=findComment&comment=480545

I have the same issue, since a20.4 I cannot find my server, what really get's me is I can see it from my a20.3 client but not my a20.4 client.

serverconfig.xml has the region and language settings, it is also not showing up on my lan despite being on port 26900.

Didn't have these problems with a20.3.

Only direct connect works.

The old server browser was quick and easy and worked, the new one is buggy and requires filters set just to see something, why.... 

On 4/26/2022 at 5:51 PM, meganoth said:

I have a debian server running on a rented virtual machine where /proc/cpuinfo tells me "vendor id : AuthenticAMD.". In a virtual machine that probably isn't proof but a strong indication that I am on an AMD server.

My server works with 20.3 without any edits of the crossplatform line. Thus it can't be linux and AMD alone that leads to this problem.

Also my client runs on an AMD Ubuntu system without any need to for edits. Both server and client CPUs are ryzen.

By the way, you already posted about this here in the forum , but did not reply when one of the devs asked you about the exact CPU model as well: https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/92-native-linux-server-with-management-scripts/?do=findComment&comment=480545

Wow mod way to eat foot - Op said a20.4 you clearly say you are running a20.3 the problems he is having only affect a20.4

9 hours ago, P3rf3ctVZer0 said:

Wow mod way to eat foot - Op said a20.4 you clearly say you are running a20.3 the problems he is having only affect a20.4

No, he said he already needed to remove the crossplatform line in 20.3 so the server could start. His problem got critical in 20.4 but it was there in 20.3 already

Quote:

on a20.3 my server (Dedicated, Linux) would throw a SIGILL error and wouldn't start. I was able to fix this by removing the crossplatform=eos line in platform.cfg

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

On 4/26/2022 at 7:38 AM, laila said:

The problem is now in a20.4 b42 that seems like the server IP for the server browser is gathered by this directive, so dedicated servers on linux using AMD hardware are unable to host this game anymore until this gets fixed.

I have an old AMD Phenom running linux so I decided to test this. I was unable to get the server to start on this platform.

Output Log Here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 7:51 PM, meganoth said:

This has nothing to do with VMs. 
The thread you quote is old and it was a workaround for 20.3. Useless now. 
And last but not least. I'm a she, not a he. 

Have a good day.

15 hours ago, laila said:

This has nothing to do with VMs. 
The thread you quote is old and it was a workaround for 20.3. Useless now. 
And last but not least. I'm a she, not a he. 

Have a good day.

I mention that it is a VM because it makes my indentification of the CPU somewhat unreliable. In other words, I'm not 100% sure it is an AMD even though it is very likely.

I see you answered the other thread now. It looks very much like the problem is confined to very old AMD CPUs on linux.