Making a greenhouse in 7 days to die for Farmplots/Gardens

POCKET951

Since we don't really have all the proper glass pieces to make a functioning greenhouse, I am just wondering what some of your creative solutions/ideas are for a template of a greenhouse/structure to store farm plots in? I would use either Iron bars or shutters on top and since glass is so flimsy I like the idea of bullet proof glass on the sides.

It ain't pretty but its definitely a post apocalyptical greenhouse.

feel free to share your own designs/ideas/prototypes

I think it would make more sense to have solid plates on the side though. but then also I am not building this in a winter biome. its in a forest where the climate is relatively stable

image.thumb.png.70d86f85281871c85cb4bd9495ac523a.png

Good idea for a thread. I've thought about this too. Would the plants still grow in your current setup?

I'm only asking because I dont mess around with farming too much but I did once in A19 in of my playthroughs and if I remember right the plants wouldn't grow unless the sunlight was able to hit it. Which means it couldn't be covered or too close to a house. Is this right?  Or am I remembering wrong?

In the current alpha (and A19) very little light is required for growing to work.  Blocks have an opacity factor and IIRC all but "solid" allow enough light through for plant growth.  Even a farm at bedrock is feasible (A19); depending on the amount of single block light shafts.

So any greenhouse project is mostly an exercise in design and aesthetics, so have fun.

Edited by 8_Hussars (see edit history)

19 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

Since we don't really have all the proper glass pieces to make a functioning greenhouse, I am just wondering what some of your creative solutions/ideas are for a template of a greenhouse/structure to store farm plots in? I would use either Iron bars or shutters on top and since glass is so flimsy I like the idea of bullet proof glass on the sides.

It ain't pretty but its definitely a post apocalyptical greenhouse.

feel free to share your own designs/ideas/prototypes

I think it would make more sense to have solid plates on the side though. but then also I am not building this in a winter biome. its in a forest where the climate is relatively stable

image.thumb.png.70d86f85281871c85cb4bd9495ac523a.png

the 4 sided glass panes look quite nice IMHO.  I have seen one YTer use those.

33 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

It doesn't look like a greenhouse unless the roof is glass too. But if it works it works. I just put my garden on the roof. Don't bother to enclose it

pretty much what I do too.   My artistic skills is limited to this style:

\|/

/\

41 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

It doesn't look like a greenhouse unless the roof is glass too. But if it works it works. I just put my garden on the roof. Don't bother to enclose it

I realize this, but I'm also trying to work with the tools and design space I'm given. It doesn't have  to look conventional. It just has to work.

Will plants grow in an enclosed space without light in 7 days to die?

I don't  really know

13 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

I realize this, but I'm also trying to work with the tools and design space I'm given. It doesn't have  to look conventional. It just has to work.

I don't  really know

TBH I wondered about that myself recently.    One person I watched made a garden that was fully enclosed and had those lights I mentioned with some support structures so I think it was 2x3 glass, wood cube, repeat three times and nothing I know of open to the sky.    From what I saw on a later video his crops grew and honestly, I did not think that would work as last I HEARD the crops had to have open sky above them with in a X block radius(not sure what that was, 3, perhaps 4 blocks I don't know), but example:

CCC

COC

CCC

where the O in the middle is unobstructed sky and there some range required between the open sky and the furthest block away.   This may also be old mechanics as well from previous alphas that no longer apply or don't apply to changes to new/edited block types in A20.   I DO Know in previous alphas I had been told bullet proof glass did not count as unobstructed sky though, but again this is all third hand information.

It used to be 7 blocks from an open-sky light source, making a diamond shape underground garden from a single point light. Some blocks would give a reduced amount of 'light'.

Side windows will also "let light through", so if small enough, the roof can be solid. Might be interesting to see how many corners the light will traverse...

Also, I think the light is taken into account when trying to plant - so if there's no light to grow, you can't even plant a seed.

(Give everything a test though, I haven't farmed 'enclosed' in A20)

15 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

I don't  really know

Someone logged a bug before about how blocks with light opacity can be rotated in a way that you can't see any sunlight, but it will still allow you to plant it. TFP staff ruled that it was "not a bug"

So you could easily fill your roof with "Cube 1m Hole" and rotated in such a way that it looks like a solid block from inside, but should still allow you to plant the crops.

I did notice they didn't say anything about whether the plant would grow or not, just that the game will let you plant it. I'm assuming here if it lets you plant, then it can grow, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is the bug report if anyone's curious.