Where is 19.3?

Techalyzer

While starting new games with a new major alpha is always mandatory (i.e. A19->A20), changing between minor versions (A19.3->A19.6) is relatively safe. Just use the 19.x that is still available and the chance that anything bad happens is quite low and usually IF any bad happens it still is relatively harmless.

You are playing a game in Early Access, the developers only legal requirement is actually to give you access to the latest stable version, so access to older versions is really a bonus.

PS: In the unlikely event that your client wasn't updated yet you could also just copy the whole game directory to somewhere else and start the game by calling the script in the game directory directly (steam needs to be running in the background though)

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

You Sir are a riot. Your 19.3 save will work perfectly fine on 19.6 yet you won't listen to that fact? There is no need for "modding" the save to work between the two. Lmao.

Do I have any kind of certainty that I will still have 19.X available for the next, say, 2 years? Since they already removed ONE of the TWO 19.X versions available?

6 minutes ago, Techalyzer said:

Do I have any kind of certainty that I will still have 19.X available for the next, say, 2 years? Since they already removed ONE of the TWO 19.X versions available?

You can have multiple copies on your PC at the same time.... just rename them. If you're really that worried just copy them all and zip up a backup. But asking them to make all point releases for eternity when there is no reason to is laughable. There simply in NO NEED for a 19.3 AND a 19.6.

2 hours ago, Techalyzer said:

The real question is, why do you think they should keep all development releases available in the future?

When we purchase the game, it was for the right to play the game during development and then getting the final copy of the game when it is released.  There was never an agreement that TFP (or any early access developer really) that they would retain all development versions of the game and support it.  The fact that TFP are allowing game owners to keep playing previous development cycles is a bonus that they are giving to us.  However, they are under no obligation at all to support all the previous development versions out there.  If there is a development version out there that you want to keep forever, then the obligation is on you to create that backup.

On a side note (and I am probably wasting my breath here), please don't insult people by using phases like mentally impaired.  Using that type of language stigmatizes those with mental disorders.

They provide the past versions so as to ensure that all Early Access customers have a version that they can play during development. Sometimes (for whatever reason) the current version may have issues with your configs and despite what you try you just can't get it to work. In such a case you could revert to the previous version or even an earlier version and be able to play 7 Days to Die while waiting to see if the next update will settle things for you and make the game playable.

There has never been a promise that any of the current beta opt-in versions will be available once development is finished although I think it would be smart of them to keep some of them for nostalgia purposes.

II believe that Hated said that there are a finite number of slots that Valve allows developers to use for betas and they are getting close to the limit now which means they may have to remove some to make room for the current and future branches they want to post. Finally, all of the past versions in the list are simply the latest in that series. They all had .1 and .2 and .3 etc posted in the beta opt in while that version was being worked on and then once development went on to the next alpha version only the last one in the series was kept. Alpha 20 will be no different.

7 hours ago, Roland said:

...I believe that Hated said that there are a finite number of slots that Valve allows developers to use for betas and they are getting close to the limit now which means they may have to remove some to make room for the current and future branches they want to post.

That's correct. TFP formally announced this would happen, back in December:

On 12/21/2021 at 2:03 PM, Hated said:

After Christmas break we will start deprecating 19.x betas on Steam. We do not like to do this, but due to Steam's limitations, we do not have further beta slots available. Please use this time to make sure your save games and/or mods run fine in Alpha 19.6 b8 since that build will be the only version of Alpha 19.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)