do spider zombies still climb?

GlyphGryph

They are honestly comical now instead of scary.  At times they whack at your ankles until you notice them but all the zeds do that.  Its funny on horde nights because there is always a couple spiders jumping around in the background, sometimes over and over as they can't get their pathing right so they just just spam leap and we start laughing at them.  Honestly a mod needs to make them look like kangaroo zeds, be more accurate, and change the noise.

Before they would crawl up everything and screw up your base plans unless you knew they were a thing and remember to build it into your plans. They were an actual threat.  Not sure why the devs decided to turn them into something so silly.

22 minutes ago, Orclover said:

Not sure why the devs decided to turn them into something so silly.

They changed in A17 when the the pathing system was overhauled. Moving on vertical surfaces was no longer supported and at that time faatal didn't have time to implement it and since then it hasn't been a priority-- and may never happen.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

They changed in A17 when the the pathing system was overhauled. Moving on vertical surfaces was no longer supported and at that time faatal didn't have time to implement it and since then it hasn't been a priority-- and may never happen.

Is this pathing with vertical surfaces limitations why zombies don't know how to use ladders really? Once in a great while they might give it a shot now but it almost feels like they're doing it accidentally, and more often than not they just break them instead.

Edited by GlyphGryph (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, GlyphGryph said:

Is this pathing with vertical surfaces limitations why zombies don't know how to use ladders really? Once in a great while they might give it a shot now but it almost feels like they're doing it accidentally, and more often than not they just break them instead.

No, ladders are different. They have their own coding. Being able to move on any vertical surface anywhere as part of their pathing is what was no longer supported. No other zombie has ever been able to move vertically but they were always able to climb ladders. 

Ladders will be getting some love in general either this round or next so perhaps there is a bug and it will get sorted once they focus on that area.

11 hours ago, GlyphGryph said:

I was sure I remembered them doing so in previous versions but I've realized I haven't actually witnessed it in a long time now, never seen it in a20 at least, and was wondering if it still happens and maybe why I haven't seen it.

I honestly loved this about spider zombies.   I kinda miss it.