Improved Hordes [A21.2]

FilUnderscore

36 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

LCB's only block POI sleeper spawns. They don't block anything else. How big is your base?

Not big. A bit smaller than standard LCD range. It would be a big problem though if a horde of zombies just spawn inside a base especially the safe area with lots of containers. I've never seen a vanilla wandering horde spawning inside a base before so this was never a problem.

14 hours ago, Razor_ said:

Are the hordes supposed to spawn inside land claimed area or trader settlements? I have multiple instances of them spawning inside my base. Is there a way to configure this?

Ideally not. I'll need to add a few more spawn checks to prevent this from happening as the game code doesn't have a way to check for all of these conditions at the same time. Currently it's only checking if the spawn point is 'valid' by the game's rules but not more than that.

1 hour ago, FilUnderscore said:

Ideally not. I'll need to add a few more spawn checks to prevent this from happening as the game code doesn't have a way to check for all of these conditions at the same time. Currently it's only checking if the spawn point is 'valid' by the game's rules but not more than that.

Thanks for the clarification. If I understand this right, the mod secretly simulate the moving of zombies. When a player is close to those zombies, they spawn. If that was the case, may I suggest a possible fix is to just postpone the spawning if the spawn point is invalid and let the mod simulate their moving again. Eventually, they are gonna move outside of the invalid spawn point.

Another point, in many occasions, I have seen a horde spawning right at my face (the distance is like 10 blocks away from my position). It kinda looks weird. Is there already a setting that I can configure this to make them spawn/loaded at a greater distance? Is this limited by the game engine?

2 hours ago, Razor_ said:

Thanks for the clarification. If I understand this right, the mod secretly simulate the moving of zombies. When a player is close to those zombies, they spawn. If that was the case, may I suggest a possible fix is to just postpone the spawning if the spawn point is invalid and let the mod simulate their moving again. Eventually, they are gonna move outside of the invalid spawn point.

Another point, in many occasions, I have seen a horde spawning right at my face (the distance is like 10 blocks away from my position). It kinda looks weird. Is there already a setting that I can configure this to make them spawn/loaded at a greater distance? Is this limited by the game engine?

That's roughly how it works. Issue with postponing the spawning is that would just make the pop-in more obvious and the spawn distance can't be adjusted since chunks/entities are unloaded beyond view distance and distant terrain takes over (which has no collision).

The only alternative would be to not spawn the horde, but these bad spawns happen quite often so it would be noticeable. The system isn't perfect but it's usually acceptable if the chance of a bad spawn occurring is less than 1%.

I noticed when I try to run commands through my consoles task schedular on my dedicated server with this mod installed it gives me errors and won't send the say command.

Any ideas why it might be conflicting with this and if there is any way to fix it?

Thank you in advance for any support you can provide.

13 hours ago, Dk710 said:

I noticed when I try to run commands through my consoles task schedular on my dedicated server with this mod installed it gives me errors and won't send the say command.

Any ideas why it might be conflicting with this and if there is any way to fix it?

Thank you in advance for any support you can provide.

Could you provide a snippet of the error from the log file? It will help to identify what could be causing it.

12 hours ago, FilUnderscore said:

Could you provide a snippet of the error from the log file? It will help to identify what could be causing it.

2023-07-25T01:06:07 6154.825 ERR [Improved Hordes] [WorldEventReporter] b__1(Task): UpdateTask was terminated due t⏎

o a fault.

2023-07-25T01:06:07 6154.836 ERR [Improved Hordes] [WorldEventReporter] b__1(Task): #1 - An exception occurred duri⏎

ng UpdateTask: The given key '110, 57' was not present in the dictionary. Stacktrace:

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].get_Item (TKey key) [0x0001e] in :0
at ImprovedHordes.Core.World.Event.WorldEventReporter.UpdateAsyncVoid (System.Single dt) [0x00127] in <38ddc35aab0145e4abba⏎

4134f2213af6>:0

at ImprovedHordes.Core.Threading.MainThreadSynchronizedTask.UpdateAsync (System.Single dt) [0x00001] in <38ddc35aab0145e4ab⏎

ba4134f2213af6>:0

at ImprovedHordes.Core.Threading.MainThreadSynchronizedTask`1+<>c__DisplayClass7_0[TaskReturnType].b__0 () [0x0000d⏎

] in <38ddc35aab0145e4abba4134f2213af6>:0

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke () [0x0000f] in :0
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute () [0x00000] in :0

Here is the errors in the log

1 hour ago, Dk710 said:

2023-07-25T01:06:07 6154.825 ERR [Improved Hordes] [WorldEventReporter] b__1(Task): UpdateTask was terminated due t⏎

o a fault.

2023-07-25T01:06:07 6154.836 ERR [Improved Hordes] [WorldEventReporter] b__1(Task): #1 - An exception occurred duri⏎

ng UpdateTask: The given key '110, 57' was not present in the dictionary. Stacktrace:

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].get_Item (TKey key) [0x0001e] in :0
at ImprovedHordes.Core.World.Event.WorldEventReporter.UpdateAsyncVoid (System.Single dt) [0x00127] in <38ddc35aab0145e4abba⏎

4134f2213af6>:0

at ImprovedHordes.Core.Threading.MainThreadSynchronizedTask.UpdateAsync (System.Single dt) [0x00001] in <38ddc35aab0145e4ab⏎

ba4134f2213af6>:0

at ImprovedHordes.Core.Threading.MainThreadSynchronizedTask`1+<>c__DisplayClass7_0[TaskReturnType].b__0 () [0x0000d⏎

] in <38ddc35aab0145e4abba4134f2213af6>:0

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke () [0x0000f] in :0
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute () [0x00000] in :0

Here is the errors in the log

Are you running the latest version 2.0.0-beta.1? It looks like you might be using one of the older versions where a bug that was fixed in future versions is still present.

8 minutes ago, FilUnderscore said:

Are you running the latest version 2.0.0-beta.1? It looks like you might be using one of the older versions where a bug that was fixed in future versions is still present.

When was the last beta release? I'm not sure I'm on the last one. is there a way to tell?

1 minute ago, MrSamuelAdams said:

When was the last beta release? I'm not sure I'm on the last one. is there a way to tell?

2.0.0-beta.1 was released approximately 3 weeks ago, so you should be on the latest one. 2.0.0-beta.2 will be releasing soon with more bug fixes and minor AI improvements. Stable release should follow after 2.0.0-beta.2 if all goes well.

You can check which one you’re running by checking chat when you load in-game, though I might add a console message at startup as well.

4 minutes ago, FilUnderscore said:

2.0.0-beta.1 was released approximately 3 weeks ago, so you should be on the latest one. 2.0.0-beta.2 will be releasing soon with more bug fixes and minor AI improvements. Stable release should follow after 2.0.0-beta.2 if all goes well.

You can check which one you’re running by checking chat when you load in-game, though I might add a console message at startup as well.

I just checked the mod info xml and I am for sure running the 2.0.0 it I didn't check the text log but this is the correct one isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Dk710 said:

I just checked the mod info xml and I am for sure running the 2.0.0 it I didn't check the text log but this is the correct one isn't it?

10 minutes ago, FilUnderscore said:

Nvm I just checked I am not running the new experimental version, is this for stable and should it be an issue updating it to this experimental version for a dedicated server?

1 minute ago, Dk710 said:

2.0.0 is currently in beta, but I can’t easily put a separator to distinguish the version like in A20 due to The Fun Pimps changing how mod versions are checked in A21. You could check Manifest.xml (same folder as ModInfo) for the specific alpha/beta version however.

Sorry if this causes any confusion, looking at ways I can reduce this.

1 hour ago, FilUnderscore said:

2.0.0 is currently in beta, but I can’t easily put a separator to distinguish the version like in A20 due to The Fun Pimps changing how mod versions are checked in A21. You could check Manifest.xml (same folder as ModInfo) for the specific alpha/beta version however.

Sorry if this causes any confusion, looking at ways I can reduce this.

Well the only reason I could tell is one was labeled improved hordes experimental and one is just improved hordes.

Should I worry about updating versions?

Just now, Dk710 said:

Well the only reason I could tell is one was labeled improved hordes experimental and one is just improved hordes.

I am dumb haha, I checked the manifest and I am running your 2.0.0 b1 version.

So yea back to square one haha, I have no idea what's causing it.

28 minutes ago, Dk710 said:

I am dumb haha, I checked the manifest and I am running your 2.0.0 b1 version.

So yea back to square one haha, I have no idea what's causing it.

Huh, super odd because the code that’s throwing the error in question no longer exists in the latest version. Have you tried deleting the mod folder and downloading a fresh copy?

There’s no worry about not being up to date, however it just means you might encounter some bugs that have been patched in an update.

Edited by FilUnderscore (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, FilUnderscore said:

Huh, super odd because the code that’s throwing the error in question no longer exists in the latest version. Have you tried deleting the mod folder and downloading a fresh copy?

There’s no worry about not being up to date, however it just means you might encounter some bugs that have been patched in an update.

I am so sorry for all the clutter in your forum. I really need to keep better organization, apparently when I checked earlier I wasn't checking the right copy. You are 100% right I am running version 2.0.0-Alpha5 When i need to be running 2.0.0-Beta.1. Thank you so much for being patient with me haha.

So last time, should I be worried about my current save updating to the new version?

6 minutes ago, Dk710 said:

I am so sorry for all the clutter in your forum. I really need to keep better organization, apparently when I checked earlier I wasn't checking the right copy. You are 100% right I am running version 2.0.0-Alpha5 When i need to be running 2.0.0-Beta.1. Thank you so much for being patient with me haha.

So last time, should I be worried about my current save updating to the new version?

No worries, the thread is meant for help/feedback regarding the mod so don’t worry about it.

There shouldn’t be any issues with upgrading to the new version since the mod doesn’t add anything into the world other than spawning zombies. You can make a backup of your world if you want to be sure, though it’s usually not needed.

The map-roaming hordes are reset when you update though (since I’ve added new features since) so you may find hordes spawning nearby a bit earlier than usual, but that’s fixed by clearing them out again.

Just a heads up I think 21.1 changed some checks for trader protections and POIs that might be throwing some nulls. 

2023-07-25T02:58:17 106.387 INF [Improved Hordes] [ImprovedHordesCore] .ctor(Int32,ILoggerFactory,IRandomFactory`1,IEntitySpawner): Initializing.
2023-07-25T02:58:17 106.433 ERR [MODS] Error while executing GameStartDone on mod "ImprovedHordes"
2023-07-25T02:58:17 106.436 EXC Sequence contains no elements
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.Max[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source, System.Func`2[T,TResult] selector) [0x00030] in <4d1f27d5adf942acb04444fee22824ee>:0 
  at ImprovedHordes.POI.WorldPOIScanner.ScanZones () [0x00586] in <f3df1dba03e14536a032e6cdeaed5c4b>:0 
  at ImprovedHordes.POI.WorldPOIScanner..ctor (ImprovedHordes.Core.Abstractions.Logging.ILoggerFactory loggerFactory) [0x00034] in <f3df1dba03e14536a032e6cdeaed5c4b>:0 
  at ImprovedHordes.ImprovedHordesMod.InitializeCore (World world) [0x00046] in <f3df1dba03e14536a032e6cdeaed5c4b>:0 
  at ImprovedHordes.ImprovedHordesMod.GameStartDone () [0x00010] in <f3df1dba03e14536a032e6cdeaed5c4b>:0 
  at ModEvent.Invoke () [0x00011] in <205bdac8b37f40be9c2699c961fdbeaa>:0 
UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStringFromException(Object)
Log:Exception(Exception)
ModEventAbs`1:LogError(Exception, Receiver)
ModEvent:Invoke()
<startGameCo>d__129:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

8 hours ago, JaxTeller718 said:

Just a heads up I think 21.1 changed some checks for trader protections and POIs that might be throwing some nulls. 

2023-07-25T02:58:17 106.387 INF [Improved Hordes] [ImprovedHordesCore] .ctor(Int32,ILoggerFactory,IRandomFactory`1,IEntitySpawner): Initializing.
2023-07-25T02:58:17 106.433 ERR [MODS] Error while executing GameStartDone on mod "ImprovedHordes"
2023-07-25T02:58:17 106.436 EXC Sequence contains no elements
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.Max[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source, System.Func`2[T,TResult] selector) [0x00030] in <4d1f27d5adf942acb04444fee22824ee>:0 
  at ImprovedHordes.POI.WorldPOIScanner.ScanZones () [0x00586] in <f3df1dba03e14536a032e6cdeaed5c4b>:0 
  at ImprovedHordes.POI.WorldPOIScanner..ctor (ImprovedHordes.Core.Abstractions.Logging.ILoggerFactory loggerFactory) [0x00034] in <f3df1dba03e14536a032e6cdeaed5c4b>:0 
  at ImprovedHordes.ImprovedHordesMod.InitializeCore (World world) [0x00046] in <f3df1dba03e14536a032e6cdeaed5c4b>:0 
  at ImprovedHordes.ImprovedHordesMod.GameStartDone () [0x00010] in <f3df1dba03e14536a032e6cdeaed5c4b>:0 
  at ModEvent.Invoke () [0x00011] in <205bdac8b37f40be9c2699c961fdbeaa>:0 
UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStringFromException(Object)
Log:Exception(Exception)
ModEventAbs`1:LogError(Exception, Receiver)
ModEvent:Invoke()
<startGameCo>d__129:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Seems like the mod is failing to detect POI zones.

Is this a RWG map by any chance? If you could share the world seed and generation settings, it would be useful to try and replicate this error as it might be a bug with the detection algorithm.

The error isn't game breaking but will prevent cities from being properly populated with hordes.

UPDATE: I've got a fix implemented in the next update that should resolve this.

The new Experimental Release 21.1 (b12) seems to have broken something in the mod getting some Red Errors

2023-07-31T17:57:40 120.316 ERR [MODS] Error while executing GameStartDone on mod "ImprovedHordes"
2023-07-31T17:57:40 120.318 EXC Patching exception in method null

2023-07-31T18:04:42 542.688 WRN [Improved Hordes] [ImprovedHordesMod] TrySaveData(): Failed to save data. Object reference not set to an instance of an object
   at ImprovedHordes.ImprovedHordesMod.TrySaveData () [0x00024] in <f3df1dba03e14536a032e6cdeaed5c4b>:0 
2023-07-31T18:04:42 542.689 EXC Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ImprovedHordes.ImprovedHordesMod.TrySaveData () [0x00024] in <f3df1dba03e14536a032e6cdeaed5c4b>:0

Don't know what could be causing this Improved Hordes worked fine on 21.1 (b6)

PS: Or at least it worked for the most part in 21.1 (b6) didn't get the Errors I'm currently getting.

Edited by CrimsonKing (see edit history)

13 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

The new Experimental Release 21.1 (b12) seems to have broken something in the mod getting some Red Errors

2023-07-31T17:57:40 120.316 ERR [MODS] Error while executing GameStartDone on mod "ImprovedHordes"
2023-07-31T17:57:40 120.318 EXC Patching exception in method null

2023-07-31T18:04:42 542.688 WRN [Improved Hordes] [ImprovedHordesMod] TrySaveData(): Failed to save data. Object reference not set to an instance of an object
2023-07-31T18:04:42 542.689 EXC Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Don't know what could be causing this Improved Hordes worked fine on 21.1 (b6)

PS: Or at least it worked for the most part in 21.1 (b6) didn't get the Errors I'm currently getting.

A21.1 experimental changes have been a bit chaotic to adjust to. I've fixed a couple of issues that have popped up with the update and I'm hoping to release the next beta soon.

Still got a bit of a bug with hordes not respawning properly after unloading after rewriting some of the code that handles the zombie spawns. The change has fixed spawns occurring past the game's entity caps and reduced some stutter during spawns, so I can say that the game appears to be running a lot smoother with the mod now.

IMPROVED HORDES 2.0.0-beta.2 for A21.1 EXP b12 released.

This is an experimental release of Improved Hordes. If you encounter any bugs/performance issues regarding the mod, report them in the Issues section of the repository with the experimental label.

Download: https://github.com/FilUnderscore/ImprovedHordes/releases/download/2.0.0-beta.2/ImprovedHordes-Experimental.zip

Changelog

Added

• Player Group Horde Spawn Limits
    • Can be controlled via the max_hordes_spawned_per_player_group setting (default is 3, -1 to disable).
    • This applies to all horde types as of right now, but in the future it will be more configurable.
    • It ensures that each player group gets a fair share of hordes, particularly on populated servers.
  • Variable AI walk speeds for horde entities.
    • Zombies will no longer sprint and destroy blocks when wandering unless they are targeting heat/a player.
    • This required a slight adjustment to how entity AI works, which now switches between EAI (the vanilla AI system) and Horde AI (Improved Hordes' system) depending on what's going on at the moment.
    • Another change was made to the way the game schedules AI pathfinding to integrate null checks with thread safety. With the vanilla scheduler, it would attempt to pathfind for an unloaded entity and throw an error, leading to entity AI lockup for the rest of the session.
  • Startup mod chat message now shows additional info about any mods that interface with Improved Hordes through XML or DLL (in other words, add-ons).
  • Startup console message for experimental builds that print the current version.
    • This is to make it clearer which experimental version of Improved Hordes you are running, since ModInfo V2 no longer supports additional version details.
  • POI and Land Claim Block spawn check to prevent horde entities from spawning in POIs and player bases.
    • Hordes should now spawn outside POIs and player bases most of the time.
  • max_spawn_capacity_percent setting to cap the number of horde entities active in the world as a percentage of MaxSpawnedZombies/MaxSpawnedAnimals game prefs (default is 0.8 or 80%).
    • This should allow screamers and POI sleepers to spawn properly.
  • thread_tick_ms setting to control how frequently threaded systems tick per second.
    • A larger value means that threads will tick less times a second. This should have no effect on gameplay, but improve performance if you are finding that the threads are ticking too often. A correction is applied to ensure the threads keep the horde simulation system stable.

Changed

• Startup mod chat message will only show up the first time the mod is initialized in a world.
    • It will also show up every time the mod is reinitialized when new add-ons are installed/removed so the roaming hordes can be properly updated.
  • POI zone town weight is now calculated as the minimum of either the average POI weight in the world or the default value of 3.0.
    • This aims to fix some maps not having zones due to a lack of city sized zones.
  • Reworked some of the horde entity spawning and generation code.
    • This fixes an issue where hordes would attempt to complete entity spawns while despawning.
    • This should also fix horde entities popping in while spawning.
    • Some optimizations have also been made, so gameplay should be running much smoother now.
  • Hordes will lose interest in events over time depending on the intensity of the events that have occurred.
  • wandering_animal_enemy hordes will now be attracted to nearby events, but at a lower sensitivity of 0.5 (for comparison, a standard wandering zombie horde has a sensitivity of 1.0).
  • Slightly reduced the default setting of horde_biome_curve_multiplier from 2.0 to 1.5 for slightly fewer hordes in the wasteland. Other biomes should still have roughly the same number of hordes as before.
  • Wandering Horde AI changes
    • Hordes can now run between zones, but will wander while within them when pathing through various parts of town. This gives them a more "wandering horde" feel.
    • Hordes should leave zones much sooner now and not roam around too long. There was a bug preventing this behavior, keeping hordes indefinitely within zones.

Fixed

• POI zone stats throwing error when running improvedhordes stats through the dedicated server console.
    • POI zone stats can only be seen by admins running the command through the in-game console.
  • Multiple player groups with varying number of players created instead of creating one group of nearby players.
  • Modified collection error when exiting the world.
  • Screamers screaming while a game is paused.
  • Horde wander count being reset every time a location in a zone is reached.
  • Horde entities stopped from investigation during wander time.
  • Entities sometimes frozen in place when sleeping, or the game AI lags behind if there are too many entities spawned.
    • Should be fixed as a result of the AI scheduling change.
  • Horde entities respawns ignore the spawn cap.
  • Horde entities pop in when spawning.
  • Horde entities targeting spectating (invisible) players when the "Invisible" setting is toggled on in the debug menu.

• FilUnderscore changed the title to Improved Hordes [A21.1 EXP]

I updated to the latest version and experienced a non-stop spawning of screamers. My friend and I were around at 200 GS each and kept getting screamers spawning at the base. When we killed both of the screamers (they came at a pack of two), 2 new screamers immediately spawned again right in front of us. This repeated a few times then stopped for about 10 minutes after we cleared zombies that were coming from the screams. The previous version did not have this issue and we only occasionally got screamers.

Is it possible to add a cooldown for screamers. If I remember correctly, screamers in the vanilla take quite a while to spawn after the previous ones came knocking at our doors. I did use a command to flush after updating the mod too just in case.

15 hours ago, Razor_ said:

I updated to the latest version and experienced a non-stop spawning of screamers. My friend and I were around at 200 GS each and kept getting screamers spawning at the base. When we killed both of the screamers (they came at a pack of two), 2 new screamers immediately spawned again right in front of us. This repeated a few times then stopped for about 10 minutes after we cleared zombies that were coming from the screams. The previous version did not have this issue and we only occasionally got screamers.

Is it possible to add a cooldown for screamers. If I remember correctly, screamers in the vanilla take quite a while to spawn after the previous ones came knocking at our doors. I did use a command to flush after updating the mod too just in case.

What actually seems to be happening is the new horde limit spawn system is kicking into action and preventing smaller sized hordes from fully spawning. I'm making slight adjustments to it now to remove the setting and make it work alongside the max entity setting instead. To temporarily fix it currently, you can set the "max_hordes_per_player_group" setting to -1.

You might be coming across lots of screamers if you're near a town (particularly in the wasteland) and generating lots of heat, thus attracting them. After killing them, you shouldn't get any spawning in for a while. I haven't altered screamer spawn behavior yet but I plan to do so within the next (and final) beta update, as that's one of the only things left to adjust before going stable.

I did set "max_hordes_per_player_group" setting to -1 and still experienced non-stop spawning of radiated screamers. Even when I set chance to something like this:

Spoiler

<gs min="0" max="75">
                    <entity name="zombieScreamer" minCount="1" maxCount="1"/>
                </gs>

<gs min="75" max="200">
                    <entity chance="0.5" name="zombieScreamerFeral" minCount="1" maxCount="1"/>
                </gs>

<gs min="200">
                    <entity chance="0.3" name="zombieScreamerRadiated" minCount="1" maxCount="1"/>
</gs>

It has gotten even worse. A pack of 2 radiated screamers keep spawning right after we killed them. It did not seem to stop. I will disable screamers altogether and see if the problem is fixed.

Edited by Razor_ (see edit history)

Hi downloaded the latest update today, but ran into a problem.

Doing a tier 2 had a dog spawn that never ended,  was quite intense for a while, but had to DM out as it wouldn't end. I carried on outside to see if it would finish, but it didn't. 

Settings haven't been changed, all default.

spacer.png

Edited by Casapa (see edit history)