What is your favorite POI or Location to make a Base in Alpha 20?

PoppaSmirk

4 hours ago, PoppaSmirk said:

Some of those locations have such fond memories for Me,  but now I would have an extremely hard time in giving up the new terrain and towns and cityscapes of alpha 20.

The red fire station is currently being updated to current standards and will be added back afterwards. 

There are quite a bit of old school favorites from the past that will be updated for A21.  Stay tuned...😁

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

I've always been hesitant about building in a POI since they get reset when a quest is there, and I don't know which POIs are unable to be targets of quests since I'm relatively new.

For horde nights I build myself a nice big 7x7 square concrete bunker with a single entrance. I dig-out a 4-block-deep dry "moat" with stairs out of it to funnel zombies to the single entrance, which is 2 blocks high. Around the rear is a ladder the zombies can't reach but I can that lets me get in, which is important because I have iron bars blocking the zombies from advancing to where I hide. Zombies funnel into the base, get stuck up against the bars, and I just mow them down with my 9mm Hipower pistol rounds.

Sometimes they crawl over the bars but they go slow enough while doing so that I can put a stop to that with my pistol.

Recently I started experimenting with traps, and I set up my bunker with a generator on top leading down to a pressure plate. The plate powers an electric fence and dart trap. I only set that up last night though so I don't know how well it'll work just yet. Hopefully I can test it out tonight!

oh i love this question! i use the following so much throughout a15-a20 i can remember their names lol. In a15 specifically my go to is always the bunker under bombshelter_lg_01, the room next to the kitchen is the perfect size for my storage and crafting benches. I'll usually replace the entire fence around the back yard area with cobble + iron bars (talk about a grind! but once it's finished i almost never have to repair it unless something catastrophic happens) and go from there lol.

as for the rest, it's always either abandoned_house_02, I steal Glock9's stair design for horde nights when I play with them on, or if I'm not (which is more often than not), I "fix up" house_modern_21, house_old_modular_07, or survivor_site_06 depending on which one I find closest to a trader. If I can't find one of them near a trader then I'll just replace a filler tile outside of them with one of the above because they're the perfect size. It's just my play style I guess lol. I only ever play SP.

I used to hunker down in the small bunker in the basement of house_old_modern_14 throughout a18-19, but with a20 I kind of outgrew how small it was and much more prefer "remodeling" the other POIs instead. In the event of that I always end up replacing the cabinets and cupboards in the kitchens with paintable storage boxes and make them look like counters and cupboards. Uses up extra dyes and gives me something to do at night when it gets spooky!

13 hours ago, Khyron said:

I've always been hesitant about building in a POI since they get reset when a quest is there, and I don't know which POIs are unable to be targets of quests since I'm relatively new.

For horde nights I build myself a nice big 7x7 square concrete bunker with a single entrance. I dig-out a 4-block-deep dry "moat" with stairs out of it to funnel zombies to the single entrance, which is 2 blocks high. Around the rear is a ladder the zombies can't reach but I can that lets me get in, which is important because I have iron bars blocking the zombies from advancing to where I hide. Zombies funnel into the base, get stuck up against the bars, and I just mow them down with my 9mm Hipower pistol rounds.

Sometimes they crawl over the bars but they go slow enough while doing so that I can put a stop to that with my pistol.

Recently I started experimenting with traps, and I set up my bunker with a generator on top leading down to a pressure plate. The plate powers an electric fence and dart trap. I only set that up last night though so I don't know how well it'll work just yet. Hopefully I can test it out tonight!

I believe placing a bedroll and/or land claim block will prevent anyone from activating a quest on a POI.

My current playthrough I am using one of the burnt out markets (single story, I will try and get the POI name later) as my home base and converting the T1 PopNPIlls store into my horde base.  Also trying to go away from setting it up as primary melee.  Makes it tougher and trying to make sure I have ammo on hand to defend.

9 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I believe placing a bedroll and/or land claim block will prevent anyone from activating a quest on a POI.

That is very good information to know, thank you for that!

I was exploring and found one of those grain silo POIs with like, 8 silos total. I bet those could be a very useful place to wait out a horde.

Edited by Khyron (see edit history)