What is your favorite POI or Location to make a Base in Alpha 20?

PoppaSmirk

I started the first night on the roof of the Motel 7 next to Rekt, but didn't like the half-blocks up there causing the floating boxes,

so I moved the next day to the AmIGone about half a block away..

Now I have my main base there, and two secondary bases in other cities, also in the funeral home..

I don't know if I would say it's my "favorite", but it certainly seems to be what I am using..

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2021 at 6:57 AM, mental said:

I moved in to the diamonds men's club stripclub/dancebar double POI. I have a kinda temporary setup in the first floor of the strip club and I've made a small horde base on the dance floor for now. The plan is to replace that with some kind of small footprint vertical hordebase probably with electrical stuff and continue vertically with a base over it that will extend through the roof, all still on the dance floor.

I generally like building inside over and under POIs :classic_biggrin: My favourite from a past playthrough was the huge comms tower. It was a pain to keep standing from cop spit and birds but it's awesome when you're flying back with your gyro and it's visible from kilometers away.

I saw this building POI maybe 2 weeks ago,  after making a run through it,  I like the general look and feel of it too.   I'm hesitant to commit to trying to reinforce a large locale right now though.   I'm on Day 39 and still not a hint of finding an auger,  and for Me thats really needed before working on reinforcing a large structure  --- AND keeping it maintained.

On 12/28/2021 at 10:18 AM, 12pack said:

I started the first night on the roof of the Motel 7 next to Rekt, but didn't like the half-blocks up there causing the floating boxes,

so I moved the next day to the AmIGone about half a block away..

Now I have my main base there, and two secondary bases in other cities, also in the funeral home..

I don't know if I would say it's my "favorite", but it certainly seems to be what I am using..

I am really missing the "Days End"  Hotel,  from previous Alphas.  So far I haven't seen one in A20.   I've only held a temp base in an AmiGone location though,  I used one in a wasteland biome back in Alpha 18 I believe.

21 hours ago, BaronCimetiere said:

I love the Junkyards, but I haven't seen it in A20 yet, perhaps its a Navezgane only asset.

Never used the junkyard , even though I often commented that the Main brick Building was a good-looking location  in space available,  plus its multi-level which I like.  Rooftop access is always a plus to One of My regular players as He loves to sit up on the roof at night and snipe zombs.

29 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

I've enjoyed turning the inside of the oil silo, the one with COC on the outside, into a base.  It is very nice and cozy when you put down a floor, a fire place, some torches.  

When I have played Solo,  I really did enjoy turning,  unusual locations into a base,  but since I play with at least 2-3 each time I go into My game world Now,  I've really shifted to locales that several people can feel...not cramped.   But your idea sounds very cool.

I personally have a lot of love for the second building,  the Barts Salvage location.   Made a really great base out of it in one playthrough that ran to Day 170 or so.  I used the shipping container in back,  after clearing the debris, as My first garden plot location,  ran a row along each side with walk space in between.   Getting rid of the large construction vehicle turned out to be a ton of work, even with the auger.  Lots of 10K parts to that crane.   Still it was really great once the place was all upgraded.

I converted the Red Mesa Missile Base its surrounded by a trench filled with land Mines.. it's been a tedious task of breaking steel beams to remodel my work shop. I also built on a living quarter "bedroom" and a garage below for motorcycles. Then I spent an hour augering  the main steel garage door down the ramps to open that garage up for my jeeps. 

I just found another identical base in the wastelands last night. Ohhh to do it all over again? I hate the buzzards tho. 

Favorite.. I'm not sure. This one was the silliest though:

Hotdogs.png.e3e785b9ec3ca8f209c27d5951cd2bd8.png

Hotdogs, get your hotdogs here!

Delicious steaming hotdogs!

Brains? We don't sell those!

Whaddya doing, get off my counter!

I said, get off my counter or I'll get the deep fryer!

Fine, have it your way!

(Would've needed some eFences, but they don't seem to exist... le sigh)

I just used the rural church beside the trader in pregen 8k, didn't realize it was a tier 3 poi until much later. roomy enough for 1 person and it starts as cobble.

It became a bit tight on space as my storage became bigger and bloated but I am sure I could just add on and expand if I really needed too

image.thumb.png.dedc7c58486e5a9cce992c8df7457f40.png

Right now we have separate Horde Bases and main workshops - building forts for Horde is fun but we're not in the mood atm: we'll risk POIs. We've been spending our Horde nights in water_tower_03 (The one that you can climb down into)- it's usually a quick base in early game or an easy camp when we're on the road but we concreted it, put up turrets etc. It's a little tight but we fit a workshop in it - might be a bit small for more than 2 though. 

An easy Horde night/safe base for us is the stone church belfry but it's tight as well. For more people we've based/Horded at the Water Works but also, barn_02 because it has a two good lofts. It's my and my wife's first base because we didn't know any better and experienced buddies just rolled w/ it. It's actually pretty cool once the barn wood is upgraded and we turned the barn floor into a killing box/pit of despair. 

For workshops only we like army_camp_02 (Quonset hut w/ the red cross on it) and the apartment above Crack a Book - we wouldn't spend a Blood Moon at those places there. (Kinda miss the red firehouse, kinda don't: almost too easy to base in.)

Some really creative ideas flowing  here.  I've used the food truck as a overnight base a few times,  but only in woodland or desert.    the garage under bunker house pic brings back thoughts of My second RGW in Alpha 20.   Thought it would be a one night sleepover base but turned into a 25 day stayover.

The garage over the bunker is also my personal favorite POI to convert to a base. Don't even need to clear the POI first. Nothing spawns in the garage itself. The base of garage is cement, so earlier game is pretty safe. Just cut the bridge and stairs and you're basically set.

Here's how much room there is in water tower_03 and we could fit more if we needed to. Safe for new characters and it's very easy to set up for early hordes - the picture is actually after a game stage 130 horde w/ demos and acid spitting vultures and the concreted tower did fine. I guess it's our lazy base - even lazier 'cause the wall is from a batch of 500 concrete shapes we scored from a crate in a wasteland lake (good times).We lost a gen but that was my fault obv. We're probably only here for a few more and will build a tower on a really high hill now although I do want to paint the tower.  Glad FightingChook posted those pics - I'm liking that round tower and might try that out when we build our tower. 

20220212185256_1.thumb.jpg.6199f060a8a5849b9ba2e448d9acc652.jpg20220216002820_1.thumb.jpg.e9a64b4df122294add81a32b18d6d0b1.jpg

On 2/17/2022 at 9:27 PM, Apocalipservice said:

Here's how much room there is in water tower_03 and we could fit more if we needed to. Safe for new characters and it's very easy to set up for early hordes - the picture is actually after a game stage 130 horde w/ demos and acid spitting vultures and the concreted tower did fine. I guess it's our lazy base - even lazier 'cause the wall is from a batch of 500 concrete shapes we scored from a crate in a wasteland lake (good times).We lost a gen but that was my fault obv. We're probably only here for a few more and will build a tower on a really high hill now although I do want to paint the tower.  Glad FightingChook posted those pics - I'm liking that round tower and might try that out when we build our tower. 

20220212185256_1.thumb.jpg.6199f060a8a5849b9ba2e448d9acc652.jpg20220216002820_1.thumb.jpg.e9a64b4df122294add81a32b18d6d0b1.jpg

Some impressive usage of space.  I'm currently going for the old  "My Home is My Castle"  setup , using the Dead Rooster bar. ( now renamed 'The Roost ),  but I love the fortifications you are using around the foundation of your 'Survivor in a Drum"  base

21 hours ago, PoppaSmirk said:

Some impressive usage of space.  I'm currently going for the old  "My Home is My Castle"  setup , using the Dead Rooster bar. ( now renamed 'The Roost ),  but I love the fortifications you are using around the foundation of your 'Survivor in a Drum"  base

Oh - I like "Base in a Drum!, lol". Our "real home" is a baby castle soon to expand - *I* think that it could be fortified enough to withstand a horde...but I'm kinda notorious for saying that about POIs and things we build. I didn't even want to concrete it even though we get a nightly feral horde - sometimes a big morning one but we're awfully safe in our desert island tower so far ...it admittedly borders the Wastelands too. Right now though, we base in nice places and horde in concrete and steel - we'll have 3-4 main bases only one tower. 

20220205154440_1.thumb.jpg.7fbb6f4c7e7b0c4eb200e50b7063cf40.jpg20220217150134_1.thumb.jpg.47d3676dd9b2d04295538f534b6fd388.jpg20220218115000_1.thumb.jpg.392726fd638b31eca79508ecefdbb06d.jpg

2 hours ago, Minkles said:

I just rolled back to A19 and I just got this POI directly across the road from the trader, happy days. 

Some of those locations have such fond memories for Me,  but now I would have an extremely hard time in giving up the new terrain and towns and cityscapes of alpha 20.