Jump to content

What is your favorite POI or Location to make a Base in Alpha 20?


PoppaSmirk
 Share

Recommended Posts

I heard somewhere that Alpha 20 is sporting approximately 129 brand new ,  never before seen POIs'.   So far I'd have to guess that I have encountered possibly 20 that looked "new to Me" and I am looking forward to seeing and visiting more;  but of course during the first few days I was searching for a good location to at least have my "starter base"  until I could decide on a location "worthy" of investing time and effort into,  for a longer stay.   I've had my eyes open for some of the "prime real estate" that I have used for my bases in the past,  and a few seem very noticeably  "nowhere to be found"  --- yet.  

 

One in specific that I have enjoyed building up and defending is one that I call  the 'County Jail'  which is literally a small correction facility, complete with nice high catwalked walls, towers at each corner, a fenced in central yard, and two floors of cells and offices to be converted into "Survivor Nirvana'  but so far, 32 days into my Alpha 20 world,  and I haven't seen the 'County jail"  yet.   of course with so many buildings now,  I might have just missed it.   So for right now,   wanting something a bit smaller as I learn My way around Alpha 20,  I chose a 'Pass N Gas"  location,  the one with the small outbuilding in the back,  with the trap door leading underground to a cave with a vault-doored room attached.   This is My current Alpha 20 Lair.  

 

Just curious what buildings others are using to make their bases in.  Anyone trying something really radical or different; like carving your base into the side of a mountain?  ( which I admit,  I am seriously thinking of trying once I get an auger)

 

Is anyone making their base in middle of one of the new cities?  high atop a tall building; " cause you just adore a penthouse view"  Maybe using a bit of beachfront property to try to have only one 'side' to defend during Horde night?  I'm just very curious,   "Where  is your Lair - Base - HQ, - Command Center -  Hidey hole - Batcave - Fortress of Survivortude

 

-or-

 

What locations have you set your eyes on having,  but simply waiting until you get proper equipment before claiming it to make your "Little Slice of heaven, in the middle of Zombie "Heck"  (opted to not use the word I was thinking , In case the forum might prohibit such, afterall "Manners maketh the Man")

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Either of the new pubs have been nice buildings, I prefer The Dead Rooster over the other one (Swampy's Bar or something), as TDR not only has multiple levels, one of which is just an internal balcony which is useful af, is all nice and brick and it has chickens in the basement. Whenever I take over this base, I make it a point to keep the chickens alive for as long as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ricp said:

Either of the new pubs have been nice buildings, I prefer The Dead Rooster over the other one (Swampy's Bar or something), as TDR not only has multiple levels, one of which is just an internal balcony which is useful af, is all nice and brick and it has chickens in the basement. Whenever I take over this base, I make it a point to keep the chickens alive for as long as possible.

I recently spent some time in TDR,  I did like the building a lot.   I also used the new "cellar shutters"  to cover the top of the staircase leading down, and  a day later I climbed onto the overhang roof, and knocked away a few letters,  renaming it  "The Roost"   A really good mid-size base POI,  I agree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Ray_Garraty said:

Fire Station (the red one), because it contains 2 working Vending machines

The Red and Black One is nice,  but I haven't used it yet for more than an Overnight "jump base"  keeping a campfire with cook pot there, and 1 security chest high on a wall,  leaving a few meat pieces and some water.  Do you worry of not having a wall around it? (for longer stays and horde nights?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, PoppaSmirk said:

I recently spent some time in TDR,  I did like the building a lot.   I also used the new "cellar shutters"  to cover the top of the staircase leading down, and  a day later I climbed onto the overhang roof, and knocked away a few letters,  renaming it  "The Roost"   A really good mid-size base POI,  I agree.

 

In terms of the new ones, a lot are in the city and generally have other stuff close by, TDR tends to be set back on it's own land, and as you saw from the interior the potential for it to be a slamming mid-late base is huge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen quite a few cool player converted new POI bases.

 

1) Drug lord mansion.

 

It has a large perimeter wall but it is a very large POI so probably works best as a community base.  Located in the wilderness or residential district I think?

 

2) Elevated Apartments 

 

A medium sized apartment building elevated over a ground floor parking garage.  Located in commercial district and probably a decent coop or community  base.

 

3) Diagonally destroyed office building

 

This is a small 25x25 remnant POI located in the downtown district.  This is a remnant POI so clearing it is relatively easy.  The top floor of this POI provides a good vantage point for excursions into the city.

 

4) Remnant Skyscraper

 

Relatively slim building located in the heart of a city.  Being a remnant building, clearing is relatively easy.  This POI has several vantage points on each floor and is potentially a good community base especially in PVP servers.  The footprint of this building is roughly 25x25 so it can be potentially taken over by 1 player if reinforced correctly.  This is a new POI that was added in B238 Stable.  Happy Hunting this one :).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Theres a new medium size house with a large red brick and iron fence around the entire perimeter. I love that one so far, I just outline the whole thing in a few layers of spiked and im done. Its also a nice fixer upper with a giant hole in the roof so I have something to do when I dont feel like being productive while wiating for something xD

 

I dont do horde night in palces usually but the first few I sometimes do. Ill take out the stairs in a shotgun messiah or a hospital if I decide to do that

Edited by myrkana (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite POI is still bombshelter_md_01. It has been for ages, and I almost never even use the bunker under it except to loot it. My playstyle can best be described as "Tiny Home Makeover: Apocalypse Edition". I build a gradually-improving wall around the home, remodel the cabin inside and out, turn the upper area into a loft, add a back door that opens to my garden. The new block shapes we have really improve the possibilities, especially for trimming out the exterior. I just installed some of JaxTeller's mods with working appliances so that I can have an even better kitchen next time around. We all have our priorities, right?

 

The perimeter wall starts out with a standard block-and-bar construction, with the eventual goal of full-coverage turrets and a catwalk. The whole thing, cabin and wall, never turn out the same way twice. (Especially now that we have very interesting choices for adding finials to the corners of the wall. Details matter!) I guess for me, it's not so much about base defense as it is creating a home that I want to defend. If that POI isn't available in a suitable location, then I build something from scratch that's about the same size, but with an extra block in height to increase the usable loft space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ghostlight said:

A big flat piece of ground.

I've noticed that because of the way towns are laid out, there is now almost always a nice piece of buildable land across from or adjacent to the traders. I always set the claim deadzone to 0 both to make it easier set up near a trader and to minimize claim interference with any adjacent quest locations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DiegoLBC1 said:

 

A19/A20 
 

  Hide contents

VGY9DOu.jpg


A20 (pic by unholyjoe

  Hide contents

A20.0_2021-12-13_23-10-15.thumb.jpg.ccd4

 

Oh,  I've used the 'Barts Salvage Poi" as a base before.  it has a lot of what appeals to me,  a starter wall,  an interesting compound and a nice little underground space to turn into a "quasi-home"  I thought it was a great location for a base.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

I have seen quite a few cool player converted new POI bases.

 

1) Drug lord mansion.

 

It has a large perimeter wall but it is a very large POI so probably works best as a community base.  Located in the wilderness or residential district I think?

 

2) Elevated Apartments 

 

A medium sized apartment building elevated over a ground floor parking garage.  Located in commercial district and probably a decent coop or community  base.

 

3) Diagonally destroyed office building

 

This is a small 25x25 remnant POI located in the downtown district.  This is a remnant POI so clearing it is relatively easy.  The top floor of this POI provides a good vantage point for excursions into the city.

 

4) Remnant Skyscraper

 

Relatively slim building located in the heart of a city.  Being a remnant building, clearing is relatively easy.  This POI has several vantage points on each floor and is potentially a good community base especially in PVP servers.  The footprint of this building is roughly 25x25 so it can be potentially taken over by 1 player if reinforced correctly.  This is a new POI that was added in B238 Stable.  Happy Hunting this one :).

The one you call,  Drug Lord Mansion.  I think I have seen that one.   Our little group simply tagged it on our maps as "The Estate",  since it seemed like a home for a Hollywood type celebrity,  but thinking on it,  Drug Lord mansion fits as a description too.   We never installed a base there, due to the huge size,  but its a definite "maybe"  to use as a base after We get some decent tools and armament (auger, and auto turrets, etc)  to try to make a stand there,   without it being destroyed before proper defenses can be added.

1 hour ago, Mahnogard said:

My favorite POI is still bombshelter_md_01. It has been for ages, and I almost never even use the bunker under it except to loot it. My playstyle can best be described as "Tiny Home Makeover: Apocalypse Edition". I build a gradually-improving wall around the home, remodel the cabin inside and out, turn the upper area into a loft, add a back door that opens to my garden. The new block shapes we have really improve the possibilities, especially for trimming out the exterior. I just installed some of JaxTeller's mods with working appliances so that I can have an even better kitchen next time around. We all have our priorities, right?

 

The perimeter wall starts out with a standard block-and-bar construction, with the eventual goal of full-coverage turrets and a catwalk. The whole thing, cabin and wall, never turn out the same way twice. (Especially now that we have very interesting choices for adding finials to the corners of the wall. Details matter!) I guess for me, it's not so much about base defense as it is creating a home that I want to defend. If that POI isn't available in a suitable location, then I build something from scratch that's about the same size, but with an extra block in height to increase the usable loft space.

I can totally understand,  as I tend to start out thinking 'defense, defense, defense',  and as the game progresses,  turning My little domain into something that I feel a survivor would want to call "home"  and depending on the location,  fostering thoughts of inspiring movies such as "Last man on Earth" (sans the garlic to repulse zombie-vampires?), and Omega Man ( I would love to have a decor piece that looks like a chess board to add to my POI's); and leaning into more modern inspirations such as "I am Legend" (which We did name a Farm based POI that we took over in an Alpha 19 game world,  called it , in big bold letters on the rail fence along the roadside, the "I am Legend-Dairy" (with a tip of the hat to "How I met your Mother")  and once using a strip mall as our Base,  inspired by "Dawn of the Dead",  so by end game,  each of our little group has usually staked out a small section to decorate as they see fit, and some of us get very intricate.  I REALLY wish for a decent 'clean bathtub,  and bed, to build into My POI bases?  Why should it still look like debris,  if I made it myself --- new?  )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Previously I have always built in the graveyard POI with the church in the middle and surrounded by walls.

 

This alpha, I am building my base at wherever the first mission is at, whatever that building is, the challenge is to make it work. I always select the closest mission to the trader as the first one so it's good location wise. Keeps things interesting in the base building side of things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

The Dead Rooster is a pretty solid choice.  My MP server people have been using it quite extensively.

 

I haven't been able to play much on my own, and thus haven't been able to see much of the larger game lately.

 

 Since I often play with at least one other,  (its usually the weekend before the 3rd or 4th player jumps in for awhile),  We tend to work together on the 'Main Base" but then start looking around for a prospective base location for the Other Player to lay down their own Land Claim Block.   I'm still hoping one day to play with 3 others that want to take over an entire single block of the map,  with 4 Land Claims practically touching.  Create a nice  "No Zed Zone"   Last week when Alpha 20 first dropped,  TDR was the very first building that We hunkered down in.   of course that gameplay only lasted 4 days,  as I realised that I really needed to delete all My older A19 game world saves,  to prevent corruption of the A20 world.  But I can share one thing about TDR.  be careful in placing farm plots on the roof.  It "looks"  like cement on the roof,  but it turned out to be only wood,  and on day 3 of playing,  the roof fell in under the weight of 7 farm plots placed up there the night before. (our day 3 of playing was 'Day 8' of game time).  So I lost My seeds that I had planted and the farm plots had to be remade -- AFTER I rebuilt the roof and upgraded it to cobblestone.  A BIG learning experience for Me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took over this T1 farm in my current playthrough.  Its between the commercial district and the trader of this town.  I think I will make the small building to the right my horde base.  Going to restore/fortify the house without changing too much of the look/feel and will start my farm plots in the existing farm area around it.  Pretty fun so far.

A21.0_2021-12-23_12-53-48.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of the churches.  I'm not sure that I've explored all of the new A20 content.  But the churches and the graveyards are usually pretty solid.  I like both of those for their solid, cobblestone or better walls.  I can gut and customize those for a pretty solid Day 7 base.

 

Strange, though.  I usually put a land claim block in my Day 7 base to prevent respawns.  However - the church I am in presently would not let me.  Gives me an error sound, and rejects the placement of the claim block.  I suppose it has something to do with the questing system.  Because I later saw my local church come up in the trader's quest list (I specifically avoided taking since I had my stuffs there!).

 


******
 

8 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Took over this T1 farm in my current playthrough.  Its between the commercial district and the trader of this town.  I think I will make the small building to the right my horde base.  Going to restore/fortify the house without changing too much of the look/feel and will start my farm plots in the existing farm area around it.  Pretty fun so far.

A21.0_2021-12-23_12-53-48.jpg


This ^^ is actually the building in my game where I have all of my stuff.

A horde base a mere 6 meters away from where all ur stuff is stored?  That doesn't seem like a very good idea.  Go across the street and down a few plots, at least.

Edited by ckuebler
Woah - forum controls are... weird. (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ckuebler said:

I'm a big fan of the churches.  I'm not sure that I've explored all of the new A20 content.  But the churches and the graveyards are usually pretty solid.  I like both of those for their solid, cobblestone or better walls.  I can gut and customize those for a pretty solid Day 7 base.

 

Strange, though.  I usually put a land claim block in my Day 7 base to prevent respawns.  However - the church I am in presently would not let me.  Gives me an error sound, and rejects the placement of the claim block.  I suppose it has something to do with the questing system.  Because I later saw my local church come up in the trader's quest list (I specifically avoided taking since I had my stuffs there!).

 


******
 


This ^^ is actually the building in my game where I have all of my stuff.

A horde base a mere 6 meters away from where all ur stuff is stored?  That doesn't seem like a very good idea.  Go across the street and down a few plots, at least.

 

Good point!  I committed to only reinforce existing structures on this play through so will see how crazy it gets.  The house next door is relatively small in foot print so hopefully it doesn't cause alot of problems...😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I moved in to the diamonds men's club stripclub/dancebar double POI. I have a kinda temporary setup in the first floor of the strip club and I've made a small horde base on the dance floor for now. The plan is to replace that with some kind of small footprint vertical hordebase probably with electrical stuff and continue vertically with a base over it that will extend through the roof, all still on the dance floor.

 

I generally like building inside over and under POIs :classic_biggrin: My favourite from a past playthrough was the huge comms tower. It was a pain to keep standing from cop spit and birds but it's awesome when you're flying back with your gyro and it's visible from kilometers away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite place to make a base is a place that I am having a hard time finding in A20. It is a bomed out building with almost nothing standing but brick walls. Not too far from the trader. There is generally only a few zombies there that I have to whack and then I can make an upper story flat area to plant my bed. Then I can build out from there and add whatever else I want. 

 

What I'm finding near the traders now are burned out wood buildings. That's okay, I can upgrade the wood to Stone, but I'd prefer having stone walls between me and the Z's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I generally prefer the closest POI with a second floor or attic next to a trader as a starter base. I either convert the garage or scratch build a small horde tower next to it. I then build a larger main base somewhere. With the new higher loot level depending on the POI or bio, I will probably build it there to take advantage of the loot bag drops during horde night. Does anyone know if the city has a higher level of loot itself like a bio?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...