Chicken coops for farming eggs

TrickyPiston

The best way to find eggs is looting birds nests, I find that to become repetitive in the late game. Being able to craft a chicken coop would give players a way to passively farm a renewable source of eggs. Recipes including eggs would likely need to be tweaked as well to account for the increased number of eggs a player might have. (or not, perhaps even an egg every 2-3 days)

I’m unsure of the right way to implement a chicken coop since getting chickens, let alone any animals, to go where you’d like is difficult. Perhaps a farming perk could include a way to capture a chicken for the crafting recipe; Or you would just craft it and a chicken would already be inside the coop, maybe implied to be inside from hearing occasional clucks and flaps.

Anyways, I’ve been enjoying Alpha 20 a ton and this is my first post on the forums. Apologies if it’s not formatted or tagged correctly.

This is already a thing in the modding community, Darkness Falls has both Animal Snares and Chicken Coops, in the case of Coops you build it and deploy it on dirt and after a certain time period a nest appears, loot it and the nest is destroyed. You then craft animal seed in a mortar and pestle (crafting station added by the mod) using apples or bananas (plants added by the mod) and then right click the animal seed on the chicken coop to restart the nest spawning process. I believe it was originally made by Valmar but many of his modlets were incorporated into Darkness Falls (and perhaps many other mods that I haven't tried yet). 

I think a Chicken Coop could be a pretty good idea. Find eggs in the wild then craft a coop out of wood, nails, scrap, plant fibers and some eggs. Chickens in the coop lay eggs that can be gathered, or maybe spawn more chickens. Make the coop a 3x4 sized prefab or something

However you shouldn't be able to (in my opinion) be able to live entirely in your base. You need to scavenge, trade, gather to do other things. But being able to farm basic materials for survival like eggs, crops, water (maybe a craftable well) should all be doable

i mean you could extend this to adding "husbandry" in general to the game.   Ie some sort of net gun to catch a chicken, boar or rabbit and breed tame versions of them.   it would add another path to head down in terms of "survival".    but yeah a great idea, nothing worse than forest running just for eggs, not that it would stop me stopping at every nest on my way to an air drop.

• 3 weeks later...