question on setting up a dart trap

lil_joha

I was told I could hook a motion senser [set to zombies only] to a pressure plate then pressure plate to dart trap. 

I set the motion senser to Instant , triggered and zombie, connected it to the pressure plate. then the dart trap.   it kept triggering on me. I died. twice..

it does have power and I also set the camera on the senser. 

Stranger to me still is I set up 2 of these setups.  with dart traps made at same time in work bench.

the back door dart traps. show a bar with choices of what I want it to trigger on. But the front door dart trap set does not.

Now the back did kill some zombies. the front lost power due to me not getting it on soon enough when it was attacked. so it has no kills.

Am I just doing it wrong?  I like to be able to use my doors but have the extra protection when the zombie horde shows up every day.

51 minutes ago, lil_joha said:

I was told I could hook a motion senser [set to zombies only] to a pressure plate then pressure plate to dart trap. 

I set the motion senser to Instant , triggered and zombie, connected it to the pressure plate. then the dart trap.   it kept triggering on me. I died. twice..

Stranger to me still is I set up 2 of these setups.  with dart traps made at same time in work bench.

the back door dart traps. show a bar with choices of what I want it to trigger on. But the front door dart trap set does not.

Now the back did kill some zombies. the front lost power due to me not getting it on soon enough when it was attacked. so it has no kills.

Am I just doing it wrong?  I like to be able to use my doors but have the extra protection when the zombie horde shows up every day.

I have never tried that setup but I would expect the pressure plate to activate the dart trap no matter who stands on it.

Electricity in the game is different than reality. If you have connected two sensors in series, they act like parallel sensors, i.e. both of them can activate a trap or door.

1 hour ago, lil_joha said:

Sensor>>Speaker>>pressure plate>>dart trap

Connect a motion sensor (instant--triggered - Z only) to a speaker, then speaker to pressure plate, and then plate to dart trap.

This tells the pressure plate not to activate unless the speaker is active. Sensor detects zombie, which activates the speaker, which tells the plate to activate, which tells the drat trap to activate.

Example

https://streamable.com/lf4m0a

1 hour ago, lil_joha said:

The dart trap.. doesn't. I'd assume you're talking about the cameras? They should always show it. You got something confused.. :)

20 minutes ago, Sal said:

Sensor>>Speaker>>pressure plate>>dart trap

Save your ears and swap the Speaker for a Relay. Camera > Relay > Plate > Dart Trap

Basically, the combo "Trigger 1 > Trigger 2 > Trap" will give power to the Trap whenever either of the triggers are activated.

If you want to require both triggers, use "Trigger 1 > Device 1 > Trigger 2 > Trap". Device 1 is any non-trigger electrics, relays are the "easiest", but even an electric door will work. And most traps. The way it works: when Device 1 doesn't have power, Trigger 2 isn't powered, and thus can't power anything after it. So, turning the power for Device 1 on, by activating Trigger 1, will activate the Trigger 2 and make it able to trigger the Trap.

Huh, that's ... different. I assume you're not running any mods?

I just placed a Generator - Camera - Dart Trap setup in my test world and all the trap shows is the ammo window. I don't think the Targeting window should be there. That's either a bug, or a mod (or both), AFAIK. The Dart Trap should be a "passive" thing, shooting when powered (and ammo locked), otherwise not.