Console re-release

Guppycur

Since this click baity title is here, let me just use it to state for the record once again that this is a scam. There is no re-release of the PS4 version of 7 Days to Die with additional content. There is only one version and it has remained the same for a long time and will remain the same until the end of time. Don't anyone be fooled by the claims of some European online stores that the PS4 version has been updated and rereleased.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

I'm so confused.

I get that there is no "new" content, so what you said is technically correct, but if I recall correctly the original question was whether or not this copy was needed in order to get future updates?

... I don't even own a console, so I have no dog in this, but the messaging is unclear. 

I've been typing the message that there will be no future updates for so long I guess I wrongly assumed it was known.

Release your confusion. There will never again be any update of any kind to the PS4 and Xbox One console edition regardless of whether you purchased by direct download or original physical disc, or re-released physical disc. Everyone's 7 Days to Die game that they are playing on a console is the same and all suffer the same fate of being in their final forever unchanging form.

I am speculating but I think some of the console owners of the game are wondering if their copy allows them to update if there is a new version released for the new gen consoles (them having the new gen console of course :) ) or if they would have to purchase the new release as a new game.

19 hours ago, Gamida said:

I am speculating but I think some of the console owners of the game are wondering if their copy allows them to update if there is a new version released for the new gen consoles (them having the new gen console of course :) ) or if they would have to purchase the new release as a new game.

They should keep wondering. There is one unknown fact and that is what the publisher that TFP contracts to do the update will do. TFP cannot know whether that publisher eventually wants to do some promotion. Even if the publisher is already known the publisher himself probably has no finalized plans for stuff that will happen in 2-3 years

But if you simply look at the bottom line and assume that the publisher wants to make money then the chance of just giving the game to a sizable part of the target group for free is VEEERY small to almost nonexistent. The chance that they might give some promotional discount to owners of the previous game is at least one of several options and in my view a sensible move even though a lot of console owners hurt by the Telltale crash will not appreciate it.

All the console people dreaming about the vast amounts of money the console version made for telltale and TFP forget conveniently that the bankruptcy and the other projects of Telltale burned huge parts of that money (and was Telltale's money anyway). And the much smaller amount from the licence TFP got is probably in the same ball park as the money TFP needed to buy the rights back. In short, there probably is no console money left for generously giving away a few million of copies of the new console game. Even if TFP wanted it, the new publisher starts at zero and will not accept a deal where he makes no profit.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

They should keep wondering. There is one unknown fact and that is what the publisher that TFP contracts to do the update will do. TFP cannot know whether that publisher eventually wants to do some promotion. Even if the publisher is already known the publisher himself probably has no finalized plans for stuff that will happen in 2-3 years

But if you simply look at the bottom line and assume that the publisher wants to make money then the chance of just giving the game to a sizable part of the target group for free is VEEERY small to almost nonexistent. The chance that they might give some promotional discount to owners of the previous game is at least one of several options and in my view a sensible move even though a lot of console owners hurt by the Telltale crash will not appreciate it.

All the console people dreaming about the vast amounts of money the console version made for telltale and TFP forget conveniently that the bankruptcy and the other projects of Telltale burned huge parts of that money (and was Telltale's money anyway) and the much smaller money from the licence TFP got is probably in the same ball park as the money TFP needed to buy the rights back. In short, there probably is no console money left for generously giving away a few million of copies of the new console game. Even if TFP wanted it, the new publisher starts at zero and will not accept a deal where he makes no profit.

Just to be clear I am like guppy and have no dog in this fight as I have never owned a console. I was just expressing an opinion on what I thought some of them seemed like they were concerned about and I have no personal choice on how ti goes.

• 2 weeks later...

The so called "Console version re-release" is most likely a scam, probably started by one of many unfortunate individuals who got sick of waiting for a miracle regarding the consolve version update and decided to re-sell used copies of the same old console version game claiming it's an updated version to generate some profit for himself at expense of those other unfortunate console version owners who still may not be aware that there will be no more official updates and there's no official re-release at this point in time either.