Errors appearing constantly on friends side when I join and play him.

LordEnglish

I was able to play with my friend for about 45 - 50 in-game days and then he suddenly started getting error codes appearing on his screen. In order not to impact his gameplay, I left him to do his own thing and I stopped playing. I finally joined him again today, 5 months later, same save, and he once again got the errors on me joining. Zero issues in the intervening 5 months. Vanilla game on both sides, both ran the file integrity and reinstalled. Nothing changed. We, literally, did nothing abnormal during our game time. 

Here's my output log for this session. I'll try to get his later since I'm sure that would shed more light on any potential issues. 

https://pastebin.com/N6H995zY

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Oh, and we know to press F1 to close the error window, but it simply reappears. 

Your log shows a bug about Physix engine and "Simplex input points appers to be coplanar"

As explained, it is most likely from a bug with electric fences and your friend should stop his server and delete the power.dat. But then he also needs to rewire all electrical connections.

Since it only happens when you log in it might mean the problematic fences are only in the part of the map you are in(?). If not, (and that is only weakly supported conjecture by me, I'm really only guessing here) as a further safety measure your friend could delete your player files on the server and resupply your new character with XP and items.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Ok, good to know. Maybe deleting power.dat and then redistributing fences so that not one of them is at the same spot might be a better idea. Just an idea, I have built with fences all the time and never got that bug, there must be highly specific circumstances to fire that bug.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

there must be highly specific circumstances to fire that bug.

I vaguely remember hearing it has to do with crossing wires. (Ghostbusters comes to mind). Or wires going through other electric devices, not attached to it.

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

Jugginator talks about it in the first link. Wires going through other wires or non-full-blocks like plates seem to be causing this more often.

Yeah that does tend to cause it more often, but it isnt the only cause for sure. I tend to find it very quickly happens with a lot of fence posts (over 50) in one area. 

If you want to debug and find the offenders, leaving the region and reentering will trigger a new set, so you can remove some exit come back and see of you have less errors. 

I do not cross the wires or fences, but I do have to go through the walls of my base to get power to the fences which are outside. Since we have no way to do this, such as a device which locks to both sides of a block (or two in my case) and passes power, we have to wire this way. However, I do not have several hundred wires going through walls, only about eight, so it seems as though when anything trips this error, all wires instantly become errored.

12 minutes ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

I do not cross the wires or fences, but I do have to go through the walls of my base to get power to the fences which are outside. Since we have no way to do this, such as a device which locks to both sides of a block (or two in my case) and passes power, we have to wire this way. However, I do not have several hundred wires going through walls, only about eight, so it seems as though when anything trips this error, all wires instantly become errored.

How do you get to that conclusion. Did you delete power.dat and then added one wire (for example through a wall) and still got the error?

I deleted power.dat (and the backup) and started the server. All was good. I re-wired everything, stopped server, started server, errors are back. Not one wire crossed through ANYTHING, including but not limited to fence-posts, other wires, fence wires, and other traps (blade traps, for example), but I do have eight spots where power goes from inside my building to outside through a wall two blocks thick. Let's double that number and say I have sixteen. I am spammed with dozens upon dozens of errors. Way beyond the eight I have going through the walls.

You are more than welcome to join the server and see how I am setup. Pimps staff is always welcome on my stuff if they need to see something.

The only way to really know if the wires through the double blocks are the culprit is to ONLY connect those. If you then get the error again then sure, they are part of the problem (and maybe some other conditions we don't know of). Even then you would also need to do another test where you reconnected only the non-block wires and fences to make sure that you are not getting the error, just to be 100% sure of that fact.

@Jugginator did you test the wire issue as well when you visited Sephirots server?

Yeah the issue in its own has been investigated pretty throughly, and you get a pair of errors per post hookup. I've got cases of standing wires, different heights, through whole blocks half blocks other wires / wire traps (which will electrify the wire traps even with no power).

The only one I'm hunting is the OnTouch null reference, which I havent seen since 19.0 

I did have a thought. My fuseboxes act as on/off switches (imagine throwing the main breaker) in the circuit, but have no wiring connection data in their 3D model so the wire coming from the batteries is invisible, as-is the wire going to the first fence-post. I could never get the wire offset to work in previous versions either. Not sure if it still exists. Could that be causing the issue despite the wire being invisible?

10 hours ago, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

I did have a thought. My fuseboxes act as on/off switches (imagine throwing the main breaker) in the circuit, but have no wiring connection data in their 3D model so the wire coming from the batteries is invisible, as-is the wire going to the first fence-post. I could never get the wire offset to work in previous versions either. Not sure if it still exists. Could that be causing the issue despite the wire being invisible?

Is this fusebox from a mod? I know Darkness Falls has invisible wires when fuseboxes are used, vanilla fuseboxes have no electrical function as far as I know.

Yeah, it is just an XML modlet I made multiple versions ago and have always kept it up to date.

<block name="DHTA_Fusebox">
        <property name="Extends" value="corrugatedMetalNoUpgradeMaster"/>
        <property name="CustomIcon" value="fusebox"/>
        <property name="DescriptionKey" value="DHTA_Fusebox_Desc"/>
        <property name="RuntimeSwitch" value="true"/>
        <property name="Class" value="Switch"/>
        <property name="UnlockedBy" value="perkAdvancedEngineering"/>
        <property name="Shape" value="Ext3dModel"/>
        <property name="Texture" value="293"/>
        <property name="Mesh" value="models"/>
        <property name="Model" value="Industrial/fusebox" param1="main_mesh"/>
        <property name="HandleFace" value="South"/>
        <property name="Material" value="Mmetal_hard"/>
        <property name="StabilitySupport" value="true"/>
        <property name="DamageReceived" value="0.5"/>
        <property name="LightOpacity" value="0"/>
        <property name="Collide" value="movement,melee,bullet,arrow,rocket"/>
        <property class="RepairItems">
            <property name="resourceElectricParts" value="1"/>
            <property name="resourceForgedIron" value="1"/>
        </property>
        <property name="RequiredPower" value="0"/>
        <property name="DisplayType" value="blockElectrical"/>
        <property name="TriggerType" value="Switch"/>
        <property name="Group" value="Science"/>
        <drop event="Harvest" name="resourceElectricParts" count="1,2" tag="salvageHarvest"/>
        <drop event="Harvest" name="resourceScrapIron" count="0" tag="allHarvest"/>
        <drop event="Destroy" name="resourceScrapIron" count="1,20" prob="1"/>
        <drop event="Fall" name="scrapMetalPile" count="1" prob="0.75" stick_chance="1"/>
        <property name="EconomicValue" value="150"/>
        <property name="FilterTags" value="fdecor,fother,felectrical"/>
        <property name="SortOrder1" value="70e0"/>
    </block>

Nothing special there.

Nothing special maybe (I didn't check in detail), but unless something like this is used in vanilla it goes into a territory that is untested by internal testers. At a minimum it increases the chance to trigger obscure bugs.

Now what I see is that you seem to suffer from a cornucopia of bugs while the biggest problem I have noticed in the last year in my online game with 3 friends is that one of the friends has on average a disconnect per evening. And I see lots of other forum users who don't seem to have problems, definitely not on your scale.

That either means you are an execptionally gifted bug tester with an uncanny sense for the situations to trigger bugs, or your setup has at least one unusual setting (for example a mod that doesn't work right or an OS setting,...) that acts as a hidden source for triggering the diverse bugs you are observing.

Sadly it doesn't look like there is much in the way of error recovery implemented in the game. Understandable because that can eat performance and needs development time, but I would hope eventually there is a bit more support for fixing bugged areas and character files

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)