Zombies in the wrong biome

Faye

I was playing a multiplayer game that my friend was hosting. We don't have any mods. The frozen lumberjack zombies showed up in the desert. A bunch of them. We decided to try a new game that I started. Again, no mods. I was started in the lush area with trees by the house that's near the snow biome. He was sent to start out in the fire biome. Masses of zombies went after him right away. Dogs, dire wolves, bears, and lots of zombies all within a few minutes of starting. I went into the nearby house and did the initial quests up to the point where I had to go to the trader. I decided to wait for the next day and was chilling in the upstairs room when all of a sudden a frozen lumberjack zombie came crashing into the house after me. I had never seen a frozen lumberjack around the forested biome before. The difficulty settings were adventurer. I don't know if that makes a difference, but we've never seen the frozen big guy outside of the snow biome before.

Most likely it was a wandering horde. They can spawn from a number of the spawn groups.

If not, then we'll need a lot more data. Logs in particular. Seed and location would be useful as well. Instructions are in the Pinned thread you should have read before starting a new thread.

I did read the information, but didn't see where to add the logs. I will try again and add the poi information. The horde he encountered when we first started the new game, though, seemed a bit extreme when he didn't even have time to do the first quest. I have to admit that I found it amusing since it wasn't me, but he thought I had unleashed them on him. I'm still too new to the game to know how to do that, which is why I play without any mods and started with cheat mode off. 

Here's the log file from the game I hosted. https://pastebin.com/1Z0YfngB

Hopefully I did that right, never used pastebin before. 

It was the basic Navezgane world we played in. I was in a two story house at 1067 E 1045 N on the map in the upstairs bathroom when the frozen lumberjack came after me. It was a game I had set up for just myself and friends and only one friend had been invited to play.

was he in the bathroom or did he follow you into the house?

that poi is on the edge of forest and snow biome (close enough that you can attract the neighbors attention (including the mtn lions)).

i hopped in and went to those coords and did catch the attn of a lumber jack and when inside the poi, he and a buddy of his joined in for the welcoming committee.

as for sleepers, the abandoned house is governed by the abandoned house group which is also affected by the gamestage.. even at gs1 you can get a lumberjack its totally random.

same with being close to burnt biome or even desert.. i do get vultures that attack from neighboring county.

while it seems strange to see lumberjacks in other biomes.. there is no set rule as of yet to not spawn them anywhere else. you just got unlucky is my guess.

A19.5_2021-06-05_10-26-14.jpg

A19.5_2021-06-05_10-29-33.jpg

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

I was in the bathroom waiting to see if my friend would be able to make it out of the burning zone. The odd part was that I had covered the windows hours ago (in game hours) and was just standing while watching the map. He came rushing in, crashing through the front door. Luckily, I had used a frame block to reach the bathroom and removed it while I was waiting, so I was able to take him out before he got me. I didn't even have a campfire out yet, so I'm not certain how I got his attention. It was my friend's host where he came across frozen lumberjacks in the desert, so I'll see if I can get him to share his log as well just to be sure. It was just so odd seeing them away from the snow biome. I can definitely see how I just might have gotten "lucky" with my experience. XD

according to how you explained it and i think others will agree.. its not a bug but bad luck for you and your friends... yes if you are close to a biome border, you can get the attention of its residence if they see you or sense you.... that is as designed... we do not want zombies stopping at a border as if a magic wall says no trespassing.

in this case i did not see any errors in the output log and chances are there are none in your friends.

i will show you a short vid i did... i tele in to the area and was close enough to grab his attention, however there were 2 lumberjacks so i picked up another from just over the hill i imagine.

only tip i can offer tho (and it is one i follow)... dont be close to a biome border... temperature changes and such to deal with thus mixed zombies such as what you had.

in a20 i am using the new feral sense and it makes that issue even harder.. (option is off by default) :) but i love the new feral sense.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

Ok, cool. I'm glad it wasn't a bug. We had just never seen that guy outside of the snow biome before and seeing a couple in the desert and then having one show up in the new game just made us uncertain. Thank you. Oh, and I have not been discouraged from playing after that, it's just been a learning experience for me. 😊 I expect that I will die many times as I learn my way around this game.

the more you look at it the funnier it gets... they are actually called "snowZombies" and i have seen them in the desert biomes on RWG only...

if there is one in the middle of the desert in Navezgane, (not associated with a poi), then i would be concerned because snow is way north separated by forest and burnt biomes. :)

also, vultures can be anywhere so dont be mislead... they are not restricted to the burnt biome, you just or might not see them as often as a regular spawn.

basically it never hurts to ask as anything is possible and its the uncertainty that can kill you. keep your eyes peeled and ears open... and expect the silence to be a threat. :)

Ok, then maybe I should check with my friend. We were in Navezgane and he was in the desert when he saw the frozen lumberjack zombies. I'll have to double check, but I don't remember if he was at a poi. That was in the game he was hosting.

Hello every one i am the guy who spawned in the desert .    :-)  ...   Yes 3 lumberjack zombies spawned around me  but when i told my friend there was nothing around i did not take in account of the old western village i was near .  I know i past a store with one of those ice freezer's out side and i know form past experiences that there is freezers in side  ...  HAHAHA  i never thought about sleeper snow Zombies  in the store before .   I have to admit 7 day's do die is way advance  for the games that i am used to  that's why it is my most favorite game ever surprise around every corner .  Even though you guys are only in Alpha stages this game already does way more then any other game and looking forward to what all you guy's have instore  :-)  .....  Still waiting on fishing skill and making fishing poles and life in the sea and river's and pond's :-)   other wise that the game is most awesome keep up the good work boy's ....

keep an eye on them and those frozen ice boxes are not what is involved with snowzombies.. freezers i am talking about are the big walk in type for meats and such. as i said, there is no hard fast rule to say zombies dont have a chance to spawn anywhere but it may be very very low and "should not" spawn in the middle of a desert if there is no reason for it (basically if world designer wanted it to happen.)

its not a common everyday thing to see snowzombies in the desert but i have seen strange things before. :) keep enjoying the game.

I want to add my two cents here also. While I have not had the zombie issue in the wrong biome, my friend and I started fresh last night and we both started in the good forest. We jogged south to the desert where we wanted to start and stopped to regen stamina upon entering the zone. We were mobbed by zombies coming from all directions. Vultures spawned in above us where there were none. Zombies seen in the far distance (blurry they were so far) were coming at us. Needless to say it was like a bloodmoon night without the running AI.

It seems to me as though 19.5 did something and we can now aggro zombies beyond view distance, or it just spawns them around us constantly. Sure, it may indeed be bad luck, but I have NEVER had zombies act this way in 7 Days before. We will be starting another fresh game once my friend has some time off.