"..port back entire system.." - UNITY updated?

gizmomelb

In the latest release notes it states:

"While the team is tirelessly working to bring you a high quality A20, we were able to port back an entire system, a handful of bug fixes and optimizations to Alpha 19."

Does that mean the game was upgrade to the newest version of UNITY?

Thank you.

cool.. thanks for the info.  I was reading in the recent UNITY update there was mention of a Vulkan / DX12 issues which was fixed and thought that may have been the issue that the devs were waiting on so they could upgrade to the newest UNITY engine release.

A20 is currently on Unity 2020.3.1. I'm currently on 2020.3.10 for testing. A20 will probably end up on a slightly newer version than that.

None of that means DX12 or Vulkan will be working great. Unity may have fixed issues, but there can easily be more. In the Unity editor, on the version I am testing, DX12 started to have a huge drop of 40 FPS, so I went back to DX11 and it was fine. There is a reason they still have DX12 marked as Experimental.

11 hours ago, faatal said:

A20 is currently on Unity 2020.3.1. I'm currently on 2020.3.10 for testing. A20 will probably end up on a slightly newer version than that.

None of that means DX12 or Vulkan will be working great. Unity may have fixed issues, but there can easily be more. In the Unity editor, on the version I am testing, DX12 started to have a huge drop of 40 FPS, so I went back to DX11 and it was fine. There is a reason they still have DX12 marked as Experimental.

On the other hand I have been playing vulkan-only for 6 months now and can vouch for it running very well. Naturally that does hold true only for the hardware, software and config setting I play on and may be quite different on other machines.

On 5/30/2021 at 9:29 PM, meganoth said:

On the other hand I have been playing vulkan-only for 6 months now and can vouch for it running very well. Naturally that does hold true only for the hardware, software and config setting I play on and may be quite different on other machines.

What is the difference between vaulkan and dx 

4 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

Vulkan is directed at spreading some of the rendering load across multiple CPU cores, and can improve rendering performance on lower-end hardware. Direct-X in comparison is single-threaded.

On a older or lower performance GPU that has a decent CPU to support it, you can see some impressive boosts.  On average a GTX1060 will see about a 30% improvement in performance with Vulkan over DX12. However just stepping up to a GTX1080 on the same system will reduce the gains to about 4%. So if you have a newer GPU, there's no reason to have any concern about Vulkan at all. On older hardware though, it can be a great boon.

I haven't personally tested Vulcan performance with this title, but I do see noticeable differences in other games like Division or Ghost Recon.  On a similar note though, in Valheim the difference between Vulcan and DirectX is negligible. This is likely a result of poor optimizations, or lack thereof.

(And just for reference, I am running a GTX1060 6GB on a R9 3900X)

22 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

Vulkan works on any operating system. And there is even a compiler that can translate DX11 commands (and dx12?, not sure) into vulkan commands.

DX12 is Windows only and adds a low-level interface similar to vulkan to microsofts own graphics driver suite.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

52 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Vulkan is directed at spreading some of the rendering load across multiple CPU cores, and can improve rendering performance on lower-end hardware. Direct-X in comparison is single-threaded.

On a older or lower performance GPU that has a decent CPU to support it, you can see some impressive boosts.  On average a GTX1060 will see about a 30% improvement in performance with Vulkan over DX12. However just stepping up to a GTX1080 on the same system will reduce the gains to about 4%. So if you have a newer GPU, there's no reason to have any concern about Vulkan at all. On older hardware though, it can be a great boon.

I haven't personally tested Vulcan performance with this title, but I do see noticeable differences in other games like Division or Ghost Recon.  On a similar note though, in Valheim the difference between Vulcan and DirectX is negligible. This is likely a result of poor optimizations, or lack thereof.

(And just for reference, I am running a GTX1060 6GB on a R9 3900X)

I have a gpu grained 1060 8gb nvidia. So stick with dx.

11 hours ago, meganoth said:

Vulkan works on any operating system. And there is even a compiler that can translate DX11 commands (and dx12?, not sure) into vulkan commands.

DX12 is Windows only and adds a low-level interface similar to vulkan to microsofts own graphics driver suite.

Any? Mean there is a version for Mac users?))) As my Radeon X555X Pro 4Gb sucks as hell)))

1 hour ago, Vampirenostra said:

But it is"Not Supported Yet"

Anyway with all these updates I have to say that : Running 7D2D on a Mac still suck a lot)))

You are trying to play 7d2d on a small laptop not made for gaming with a typical low-level laptop gpu. This has (nearly) nothing to do with Mac.