Modify BedrollDeadZoneSize for Singleplayer

issa

Dear community,

I am currently having a frustrating issue in which I'm unable to modify the Game Preference for my save. I have a somewhat big base and zombies tend to come by and smash my walls in which can get annoying. I've tried so far:

• Use the in-game command sg BedrollDeadZoneSize XX
  • Create another serverconfig.XML, modify the value inside, and then launch the game with the parameter targeted to my xml file.
  • Go inside the Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\The Fun Pimps\7 Days To Die and modify the value inside as well.

Every single attempt fails and whenever I launch a game (not a server, simply a NEW GAME) the value changes back to 15. I have no idea on how to fully change the value so zombies won't spawn near my base at all.

Regards,

issa

Also be aware that neither the bedroll, nor the LandClaim Block, suppress all spawns.  In the case of the LCB, it will only suppress POI sleeper spawns. In the case of the bedroll, it only suppresses POI sleeper, and random biome spawns. 

Neither is going to completely stop zeds from spawning.

The console command should work for that game session, but it's going to be difficult to have it persistent. The setting is stored in a flat database file in your save folder.

5 hours ago, issa said:
  • Create another serverconfig.XML, modify the value inside, and then launch the game with the parameter targeted to my xml file.

not a server, simply a NEW GAME

serverconfig.xml ist not used by the client. It's, as the name says, for a server.

I don't know where the gameclient stores its settings for a singleplayer game, but i'd assume it's somewhere in the savegame folder, especially because those are per-game-setting.
There is a gameOptions.sdf file. Sadly it's not an xml file, but it contains the string "BedrollDeadZoneSize", followed by some bytes that for almost sure contain the value. I can't detect what format those bytes have, but i'm pretty sure, if you want to change the value for your game persistently, that's the place you have to look for.

The extension sdf points to stanardized file format, however that doesn't necessarily mean TFP actually uses that format. But perhaps you can find some editors that are capable of changing such files.

Edit: Another idea: Edit serverconfig.xml to what values you like to have. Start the server, let it create a new map. Copy over the gameOptions.sdf from  the server-savegame to your singleplayer game. (Or alternatively, probably more secure, compare both files and just edit in the differences after the "BedrollDeadZoneSize" with e.g. a hex editor).
Before you try anything of that: Create a backup of your game!

Edit2: The first byte after the string in my file is 0F (15), the default value of 15 blocks. So probably just changing this byte to e.g. 1E will extend the zone to 30 blocks.

Edited by Liesel Weppen (see edit history)

5 hours ago, issa said:

I actually found an option within the Multiplayer tab that allows me to upper the size to an additional 15 blocks. However, it's not allowing me to go further than 30.

I demand 200 quatloos to teach you how I did this:

image.png.a375c03eceb5188b1967381694f34fc6.png

Edit: Hmm, Venmo doesn't accept quatloos. Alright, a free sample then. Edit /Config/XUi_Menu/windows.xml line 639 (-ish). It looks like this:

<gameoption name="BedrollDeadZoneSize" title="goBedrollDeadZoneSize" value_wrap="false" value_type="int" values="0, 5, 15, 30" display_names="goLandClaimNoDeadzone" value_localization_prefix="goLandClaimDeadZoneValue" />

Just add whatever values you want in there. Note that I have not actually tested whether the bedroll deadzone changes to 60, though I presume it will. I'm the idea guy, I leave implementation and testing to others! (But seriously, I'll go run a test here shortly...)

Edit 2: Seems to work as expected.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Boidster said:

I demand 200 quatloos to teach you how I did this:

image.png.a375c03eceb5188b1967381694f34fc6.png

Edit: Hmm, Venmo doesn't accept quatloos. Alright, a free sample then. Edit /Config/XUi_Menu/windows.xml line 639 (-ish). It looks like this:

<gameoption name="BedrollDeadZoneSize" title="goBedrollDeadZoneSize" value_wrap="false" value_type="int" values="0, 5, 15, 30" display_names="goLandClaimNoDeadzone" value_localization_prefix="goLandClaimDeadZoneValue" />

Just add whatever values you want in there. Note that I have not actually tested whether the bedroll deadzone changes to 60, though I presume it will. I'm the idea guy, I leave implementation and testing to others! (But seriously, I'll go run a test here shortly...)

Edit 2: Seems to work as expected.

That is what I was wondering if that was what he was trying to change as I knew about the xml fix you mentioned. There are quite a few changes you can make in the menu in that file actually :D