Crash On Load (Very Frustrating!)

7 Days One Cup

I played a new map almost every day, for multiple hours per day with no issues for over a week. Absolutely no issues. Then it just stopped working. No idea what caused it. I can't play my modded version of the game, nor my vanilla version of the game. Both have the exact same issue. And before anyone goes and makes suggestions about troubleshooting my OS or hardware, I promise you there is absolutely nothing wrong with my computer or my hardware. They released 19.4, I simply selected 19.3 and now nothing works. Even after several installs, uninstalls, and following every suggestion I can find online, I still can't even get the vanilla game to work on even the lowest possible settings, with/without directx10 being forced, with/without motion blur, with/without EAC, with 32-bit and 64-bit. I swear I've tried every single combination of all of those and the furthest I can get is my character wiping his forehead and then boom.. Crash. Even cleared all my data and then cleared 7D2D from my registry. The game simply crashes right when it starts making in-game noises (birds, atmospheric sounds, etc) and doesn't even load me in the game yet (except when I have it on low AND on DX10... Then he wipes his forehead and it crashes the second his arm goes off screen). My system is more than powerful enough to run this game. I was even hosting and playing on a modded server on Ultra settings all on the same PC before this started happening.

When I launch the server other people can launch their games and play on the modded server which tells me there's nothing wrong with the server...

I can't even get the vanilla game to just install and play and at this point I'm hoping somebody over at The Fun Pimps knows what's going on, because I've wasted hours each day trying to get this game to work and it just won't play no matter what I do.

The Unity Crash Log helper even crashes while attempting to make a log and won't generate a log.

I'm not sure what to do at this point but PLEASE there HAS to be something out there other than what I see reciprocating around the internet. It seems like all of this started when they released the 19.4 version of the game. I've tried every method I see and still no change. Is there something wrong with the game's copy server side? I'm not sure. But there's certainly nothing wrong with my PC.

I'd like to mention that I'm not under any circumstances reinstalling Windows 10. There is far too much configuration and personalization on my PC for me to do that. I also have paid programs that are one-time installs which are non-transferable.

@7 Days One CupIf you have saved games you want to keep, back them up somewhere. Then do this.

Clean install:

From Steam Library click "Play"
Select "Show Game Launcher" from the popup.
Click "Play"
From the game launcher select the "Tools" tab.
From the Tools tab select "Clean game data..."
Check all the boxes and select "All Maps" under Discovered map of remote games.
Click "Clean"
Close the launcher, don't start the game.
From your Steam Library, right click the game and select "properties".
Select the "Local Files" tab, and click "Uninstall Game"
After the game is uninstalled go to this folder:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/
and delete the 7 Days to Die folder.
Go to this hidden folder:
C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\
and delete the 7Days2Die folder.
From your Steam Library, reinstall the game.
Launch the game with DirectX enabled.

5 hours ago, 7 Days One Cup said:

the furthest I can get is my character wiping his forehead and then boom

If you get this far, the game has created a log, which would help in diagnosing your problem. It's in your game install folder in the 7daystodie_Data folder.

It's called Output_Log.txt with the time and date in the name. Post that to pastebin, then link it here and someone can check for issues.

Edited by Beelzybub (see edit history)

The two biggest clues IMO:

14 hours ago, 7 Days One Cup said:

doesn't even load me in the game yet (except when I have it on low AND on DX10...

Changing graphics settings affects how the game loads and at what point it crashes = clue that maybe something is up with drivers and/or GPU.

14 hours ago, 7 Days One Cup said:

When I launch the server other people can launch their games and play on the modded server which tells me there's nothing wrong with the server...

Game runs fine in headless server mode. Another clue it's GPU/driver related. In spite of the absolute perfection of OP's computer.

Since there's no logs posted yet...I'll add some fuel to the fire:

I've been playing for years and sometimes I've had weird issues with the game that were very similar to this (game loads then crashes). I'm not going to include all of the issues I've seen as not all of them match OP's situatio/description perfectly, but the culprit in one case ended up being:

The OS/Auto patching loaded a slightly newer graphics driver.  The graphics driver update had something weird about it that caused issues like this.  "Nothing changed"... except yeah the system patched and apparently I got that new graphics driver. I'm using NVIDIA.  The solution was to reinstall a slightly older graphics driver and turn off auto-update. After a few months an even newer graphics driver came out and I haven't had issues since.  So, it was literally a single patch/version of the driver that caused issues.

16 hours ago, 7 Days One Cup said:

I played a new map almost every day, for multiple hours per day with no issues for over a week. Absolutely no issues. Then it just stopped working. No idea what caused it. I can't play my modded version of the game, nor my vanilla version of the game. Both have the exact same issue. And before anyone goes and makes suggestions about troubleshooting my OS or hardware, I promise you there is absolutely nothing wrong with my computer or my hardware.

Sorry, but you can't promise that. 😉

16 hours ago, 7 Days One Cup said:

They released 19.4, I simply selected 19.3 and now nothing works.

Before you had said "Then it just stopped working". But here you say the problem started when you tried to go back to 19.3. If it happened at that time that would be a HUGE pointer to some registry settings for either 7d2d or unity that did change between those versions having a detrimental effect. Since you cleared 7d2d settings and since the culprit seems to be graphics and the unity crash Log crashes I'd say there is a big chance there is some unity registry setting at fault here.

On 4/2/2021 at 3:30 AM, Beelzybub said:

@7 Days One CupIf you have saved games you want to keep, back them up somewhere. Then do this.

Clean install:

From Steam Library click "Play"
Select "Show Game Launcher" from the popup.
Click "Play"
From the game launcher select the "Tools" tab.
From the Tools tab select "Clean game data..."
Check all the boxes and select "All Maps" under Discovered map of remote games.
Click "Clean"
Close the launcher, don't start the game.
From your Steam Library, right click the game and select "properties".
Select the "Local Files" tab, and click "Uninstall Game"
After the game is uninstalled go to this folder:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/
and delete the 7 Days to Die folder.
Go to this hidden folder:
C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\
and delete the 7Days2Die folder.
From your Steam Library, reinstall the game.
Launch the game with DirectX enabled.

If you get this far, the game has created a log, which would help in diagnosing your problem. It's in your game install folder in the 7daystodie_Data folder.

It's called Output_Log.txt with the time and date in the name. Post that to pastebin, then link it here and someone can check for issues.

I've already done a clean install. I have all my saved and data I want to keep back-ups of on a separate drive. I've uninstalled and deleted all the folders, cleaned everything out using the "Clean Game Data" feature, I've even completely re-installed Steam. And unfortunately, no, there aren't any logs being generated. I will try reinstalling my graphics card drivers, but I think something very very weird is going on here...

14 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Have you excluded the game folder from your antivirus software?

Not exclusively, but when my antivirus has an issue with an app, it asks me whether or not to trust it or tells me that it blocked something so that I know to whitelist it. My firewall does this as well. (Both my Firewall and Antivirus are through Panda AV). I can try that as well.. I'm currently reinstalling my graphics drivers and reinstalling steam from scratch.