Does 7DTD benefit from two GPUs (non-SLI/CF)?

BlackhawkUH60E

1 hour ago, Naz said:

If you assigned affinity through task manager it won't work with eac, however if you do the shortcut route and set the target to the 7dtdeac exe it will work. 

I had set the shortcut for 7daystodie.exe - was actually not aware of the eac binary. 
But better to have it stated here for all so they do not fail on the same route - or better even, banning themselves in the process.

I once read somewhere that it is possible to use a 2nd graphicscard (non-sli) as accelerator. But the software has to support this, and it doesn't really scale, because it just can offload certain kinds of workload to the second gpu. Iirc in that case i read about only PhysX calculations where handed to the second gpu.

Even if 7d2d (or unity out of the box) would be able to use the second GPU for something in that way, i'd still not expect a reasonable performance increase.

9 hours ago, uncle.heavy said:

I had set the shortcut for 7daystodie.exe - was actually not aware of the eac binary. 
But better to have it stated here for all so they do not fail on the same route - or better even, banning themselves in the process.

I've been using the eac affinity shortcut for a long time never been banned. 

8 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

I once read somewhere that it is possible to use a 2nd graphicscard (non-sli) as accelerator. But the software has to support this, and it doesn't really scale, because it just can offload certain kinds of workload to the second gpu. Iirc in that case i read about only PhysX calculations where handed to the second gpu.

Even if 7d2d (or unity out of the box) would be able to use the second GPU for something in that way, i'd still not expect a reasonable performance increase.

I have done this, but you end up losing some CPU performance to the software that's managing the workloads. I have done this with a pair of 1060's, and the results were negligible. (And to be fair, it's the only way to team a pair of 1060's together since they have no SLI bridge.)

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 1:49 PM, Pichii said:

So, in short it doesnt work without two identical cards because you "neuter" the other chip....
You can also stick a fork in an electrical socket and it still 'works' but not exactly the way you wanted it to eh? lol
People who run SLI and Crossfire and had problems running two chips that were not identical (mixing and matching) so, feel free to do so at your own risk. Sometimes it worked, others it didnt, others took days of configuring. *shrug* In the end, you butcher the reason you using 2 gfx cards tho.
Techie sites also said they had better performance and responsiveness with identical cards.

Wrong, it does work. You are arguing by changing the definition of "works". Yes, the system will run. Yes, the system will utilize SLI. Yes, it will perform better than a single slower card. It may or may not perform better than the better card alone as that entirely depends on the cards. There are definitely poorly made cards that would benefit from offloading some of that workload. It is extremely unlikely that it would work better than the one better card, but you cannot assume that without stating the cards. Is it worth it? Not at all, cost to performance isn't there. I will give you that. By most, and sometimes all, of the definitions of "works" it absolutely does work. Just because you don't see significant performance gains, does not mean something does not work. It just doesn't meet your needs. Those are two very different things.