got an ambitious building project. can I keep support longer than five blocks now?

ElCabong

Just bought a cement mixer and I'm going to rebuild the top floor of a 10-story wrecked stone building. I haven't really built large structures in a long time, I got over it eventually and just didn't want any large projects anymore but now I feel like doing something.

As long as I keep my support to the ground and ceiling 5 blocks wide, I think I'll be okay. Has this changed with newer versions?

Five blocks? What, are you engineering it to survive a nuclear blast? Live on the edge, man! 26 blocks between those arrows, and completely safe to walk on.

image.png.ded827886f393dced84df3571ce4db04.png

Concrete attached to concrete will collapse on the 13th attached block, so if you build out from both sides towards the middle you can get a 24-block span between the pillars.

Hmm.. you're planning to refurbish the apartment block or some such..? With those, you might need to check that the support blocks will actually run all the way to the ground. For example, broken-off windows won't offer support up top, so, don't end up relying on those parts..

You'll most likely be just fine, but the SI system might go a little wild with those massive buildings. Not exactly the easiest environment to learn.

2 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

... until you start building on top of it

Wait, do what now? 😄

1 hour ago, Ti2xGr said:

If we're talking concrete, it's a bit wider than that. 5 blocks is wood. Concrete is more like 16 blocks wide. 

I was trying to measure the maximum size of a square concrete platform supported only at the corners, and it was still failing at a 10x10 platform. That is, I placed 4 pillars 10 blocks apart in a square, connected them to form a square perimeter, then tried to fill in the platform. Could not do it at least not with concrete.

8x8 I could finish the platform and it would support 36 concrete blocks (not over the pillars) before collapsing. Possibly good enough to build out a mostly-wood apartment or base room without collapsing. If my math is right that's 144 wood blocks or equivalent mass. I'm sure all of this is well-known by pretty much everybody not named Boidster, but I hadn't ever really experimented with it except for the above bridge-building exercise 'cause we build a lot of bridges into our bases.

27 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Wait, do what now? 😄

I was trying to measure the maximum size of a square concrete platform supported only at the corners, and it was still failing at a 10x10 platform. That is, I placed 4 pillars 10 blocks apart in a square, connected them to form a square perimeter, then tried to fill in the platform. Could not do it at least not with concrete.

8x8 I could finish the platform and it would support 36 concrete blocks (not over the pillars) before collapsing. Possibly good enough to build out a mostly-wood apartment or base room without collapsing. If my math is right that's 144 wood blocks or equivalent mass. I'm sure all of this is well-known by pretty much everybody not named Boidster, but I hadn't ever really experimented with it except for the above bridge-building exercise 'cause we build a lot of bridges into our bases.

did you fill them and let them dry? Wet concrete has a much lower weight limit then dry concrete

It'll be reinforced concrete at the bottom because the z's are kind of like termites.

Not sure about the top. I'm thinking a home with an interior courtyard garden and rooms around the perimeter. The walls will be a lot of glass. Hope I find an auger I'm going to need it.

You guys are probably confusing the hell out of this poor player. 

6 hours ago, ElCabong said:

Just bought a cement mixer and I'm going to rebuild the top floor of a 10-story wrecked stone building. I haven't really built large structures in a long time, I got over it eventually and just didn't want any large projects anymore but now I feel like doing something.

As long as I keep my support to the ground and ceiling 5 blocks wide, I think I'll be okay. Has this changed with newer versions?

Yes, as long as you do that, you'll be just fine. You'll be more than fine. If zombies take out supports, most of your structure will be just fine as it will still be held up redundantly by other supports.

Archived