Road signs in navezgane showing new mexico cities

DominionZA

There are road signs in the game which lead to various cities of what seems to be New Mexico. I stumbled upon them and I noticed that Roswell is crossed out and has the words "don't go" scribbled next to it. It got me really curious and pimped of if we will ever be able to reach these cities in game at some point in later development? As the distance gap is huge, I assume we will need a vehicle to reach it. I couldn't imagine walking 300 miles on foot but I doubt that'll fit in one map. Maybe seperate maps or loading screens? I'm really intrigued by what happened in Roswell. Maybe it is overwhelmed by zombies or has even more creepy stuff in it than what is seen in Navezgane? Sure there must be something horrible over there that the people specifically crossed it out on road signs not wanting you to go there. What do you think?

Unbenannt.jpg

I think it's just a cheeky reference to the many conspiracy theories concerning alien research facilities at Roswell. The signs are just to give an idea of the general area you're supposed to be in, a bit of world building. I doubt they'll attempt to take that any further with actual representations of Albuquerque or other existing cities.

Because I am weird, I checked all of those distances to see if I could triangulate the place on Earth where that sign exists.

There is no place on Earth where that sign could exist. There is no road or even set of roads which could hit those destinations in that order and those distances (Santa Fe and Alamagordo are in opposite directions from Albuquerque), and there is no as-the-crow-flies triangulation point where the distances would be correct.

The top two would be a point near Safford, AZ and Mt. Graham.

The last two would point to a spot near Rough Rock, AZ in either the Hopi Reservation or the Navajo Nation, several hundred miles north.

Nevermind all that, see below. The point below still stands.

So apparently TFP doesn't care about realism after all! 😉

53 minutes ago, Boidster said:

There is no place on Earth where that sign could exist.

Were you checking highway/roadway distance? I.E. I am about 20 miles from the county seat where I live but the drive distance is around 5 times that (mountain chain blocking the more direct "as the crow flies" route).

Edit: using this https://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/map.html and https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm an area that fits the posted distances for that sign in real life is the Show Low area of Arizona. Show Low itself only has a deviation of between 2 - 5 miles from the 4 posted distances on that highway sign.

3 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Were you checking highway/roadway distance?

I did, and there is no road where the cities would be encountered in that order. Junuxx's map shows that there is no crow's-flight point either, though I guess there is at least one area where 3 arcs cross. Closer than I thought.

I suppose it's a road-sign at a 3- or 4-way branch? I was looking at it as a highway sign showing you distances to cities along a path (possibly with some branches). Maybe I miscalculated; I'll look at the links above.

26 minutes ago, Boidster said:

I did, and there is no road where the cities would be encountered in that order. Junuxx's map shows that there is no crow's-flight point either, though I guess there is at least one area where 3 arcs cross. Closer than I thought.

I suppose it's a road-sign at a 3- or 4-way branch? I was looking at it as a highway sign showing you distances to cities along a path (possibly with some branches). Maybe I miscalculated; I'll look at the links above.

All 4 of those destinations are reachable by initially heading east on US 60 from Show Low (which is the area indicated by both @Junuxx's overlapping circles and @theFlu's measure distance from Roswell) and turning at the appropriate branch off.

Distance from Show Low, Az to Roswell: 363 miles

From Show Low to Santa Fe: 303 miles

From Show Low to Albuquerque: 243 miles

From Show Low to Alamogordo: 332 miles

24 minutes ago, Junuxx said:

The Navezgane map also has signs for (AZ) state highways 73 and 260 (source: wiki). These converge at Indian Pine, 16 miles south from Show Low. The same wiki article however estimates the location in White River/Fort Apache, some 40 miles south of Show Low.

Familiar name. :D 

1 hour ago, hiemfire said:

All 4 of those destinations are reachable by initially heading east on US 60 from Show Low (which is the area indicated by both @Junuxx's overlapping circles and @theFlu's measure distance from Roswell) and turning at the appropriate branch off.

Distance from Show Low, Az to Roswell: 363 miles

From Show Low to Santa Fe: 303 miles

From Show Low to Albuquerque: 243 miles

From Show Low to Alamogordo: 332 miles

Good enough, I stand corrected! I was being too literal in my interpretation - first you get to Albuquerque, then Santa Fe, then Alamogordo, then Roswell. But it's kind more like this (though with all of the arrows pointing basically eastward):

image.jpeg.d9025b18b41354e2da13456c6a46798a.jpeg

Archived