More realistic inventory

Csuwy

I don't know if its just me, but the current inventory system is not very realistic. I wish the devs change the inventory system for a weight based one (like in skyrim), because for example if i pick up 2 plants 1 peaces of paper and a book/scematic than i in real life I ain't slowd down by those. But i want to hear others opinion in this topic.

A weight system has advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that objects of low weight do not slow you down as much. On the other hand, you cannot carry large amounts of stone, iron or other resources. In ARK there is a weight-based system but that has led to her having to do tricks here and there to make the beaver e.g. carry a lot of wood.

38 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

A weight system has advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that objects of low weight do not slow you down as much. On the other hand, you cannot carry large amounts of stone, iron or other resources. In ARK there is a weight-based system but that has led to her having to do tricks here and there to make the beaver e.g. carry a lot of wood.

Yes i familiar with ark's inventory system, but here you can have perks or books to reduce big stack items weight instead of pack mule or beside.

1 hour ago, Csuwy said:

Yes i familiar with ark's inventory system, but here you can have perks or books to reduce big stack items weight instead of pack mule or beside.

Or you could have books/perks/item-addons that give you more slots (without getting encumbered).... Oh, wait....

So in the end you are just talking about where the limit should be? Well, there are dozens of mods out there that give you more slots than vanilla, or mods that increase stacksize. You can even use both together.

For 7d2d i still prefer the stack/slot system. As Damocles said, e.g. Ark has other mechanics around the weight system. Firsthand you have dinosaurs that can carry a lot more and you have to use them for transportation. And for crafting you can pull out of nearby storage boxes, so you don't have to walk to each box if you need more for crafting a specific thing than you can carry.

You got a point. I mainly want a more customizable inventory because the base inventory is really not big and the if there is a mod for expanding it it usually outdated or just @%$*#!s up the ui. And with the with the weight system it would be much easier to customize the inventory for singleplayer and small coop sessions.

I'm fine with the slot system but it's not customizable easily. That's my biggest problem.

Oh, I so hope TFP never, ever, ever, implements a weight based inventory system.

I abhor inventory tetris, and weights makes inventory tetris look like a walk in the park (to say nothing about the fact that a "realistic" inventory system would be vastly smaller than what the base game already has).

The very first two things I do with each new Alpha, is mod in a larger (much) inventory, and set stacks for everything that can stack out to 20,000.

Don't got me wrong - each to their own - but I sincerely hope TFP doesn't do this.

For small coops the inventory imho is big enough, you just need to organize who carrys what stack while looting. For further transportation use the storage of vehicles. This kind of logistics is imho part of the gameplay in 7d2d.

I don't play singleplayer but i could imagine that the inventory might be a little bit small there. However, there are enough mods out there that don't mess up the gui, and they also usually don't outdate within one alpha version. So atm those mods might not work for A19, but many of them will be updated soon. Since the inventory system afaik wasn't changed in A19 it would be even worth a try using a mod from A18 with A19.

And i guess you overestimate the weight system. First it might be more comfortable for looting, but imagine you want to build a base with weight-system. A block of concret then weighs 500kg and your max carry is 100kg? Second, said third time now: It's not just giving weights to items, but the system would need other mechanics implemented.

2 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

For small coops the inventory imho is big enough, you just need to organize who carrys what stack while looting. For further transportation use the storage of vehicles. This kind of logistics is imho part of the gameplay in 7d2d.

I don't play singleplayer but i could imagine that the inventory might be a little bit small there. However, there are enough mods out there that don't mess up the gui, and they also usually don't outdate within one alpha version. So atm those mods might not work for A19, but many of them will be updated soon. Since the inventory system afaik wasn't changed in A19 it would be even worth a try using a mod from A18 with A19.

And i guess you overestimate the weight system. First it might be more comfortable for looting, but imagine you want to build a base with weight-system. A block of concret then weighs 500kg and your max carry is 100kg? Second, said third time now: It's not just giving weights to items, but the system would need other mechanics implemented.

Oky you convinced me, to not use a weith base system BUT for example another game that use slot system is minecraft and I'm pretty sure it has way less items than 7dtd.

A very negative example are the changes in Empyrion, where they added weight AND volume additionally to the previous slot/stack inventory.

Those a way too many limiters, where there should only be either one the limiting factor (weight, volume or slots).

It makes handling inventory very tedious. (making virtual local connections to boxes, so items can be handled manually etc)

-----

Weight itself makes more sense in Empyion, as it uses custom crafted vehicles, that need some limiting factor on how much inventory they can hold.

2 minutes ago, Csuwy said:

Oky you convinced me, to not use a weith base system BUT for example another game that use slot system is minecraft and I'm pretty sure it has way less items than 7dtd.

Then why don't you play minecraft? You will find differences in all other games, because if not, it would be the same game...

Then use a modlet to get bigger inventory. They are not even really hard to understand if you want to customize the amount of slots.

Archived