Alpha Crossovers? A18 to A19 ...

Message added by Roland

Alpha 19 Experimental will be coming soon and your Alpha 18 game will not be compatible. The good news is your version will not change automatically. You will have to opt into latest_experimental to change over to A19.  If you want to remain on your A18 save indefinitely then you should opt into the current build so that when A19 leaves experimental you aren’t caught by surprise by an automatic update. 

Hi all,

I'm absolutely addicted to this game and find myself coming back time and time again and building new worlds.

I originally played on PS4 in alpha 15 or 16 i believe and now playing on pc in A18 the game is so much better and rjns a lot smoother.

My question however (which i dread to think i already know the answer) is if ive spent endless hours working on a game as my role is always the builder, when A19 comes out do i have to give up that game in order to play the new version? Or can it update to the new one? 

Steve

2 minutes ago, Fellaz_StevieTee said:

Hi all,

I'm absolutely addicted to this game and find myself coming back time and time again and building new worlds.

I originally played on PS4 in alpha 15 or 16 i believe and now playing on pc in A18 the game is so much better and rjns a lot smoother.

My question however (which i dread to think i already know the answer) is if ive spent endless hours working on a game as my role is always the builder, when A19 comes out do i have to give up that game in order to play the new version? Or can it update to the new one? 

Steve

You will most definitely need to start over due to all of the changes.  However, there is a chance you can export some of your're builds into A19 assuming a block convertor is made available by the devs or created by the community.

I can confirm that you absolutely need to start a new save.

I had hopes in early testing that we could copy at least the world over. Due to changes in progression copying character data will not be possible.

However now there have been a lot of changes to the prefabs. Some have been removed or updated. Others have been renamed, and new ones have been added. There have been block changes as well, so that will break your block ID table.

You and me both, brother! 😀

Going from playing this game on consoles to now playing it on PC has been quite the experience. Feels like a whole new game, which in many cases, it is I guess. Everything just feels so much more polished! I should've switched to PC years ago.

I was also wondering whether alpha's could transfer over as well. Glad I know not to get overly attached to my save file now since alpha 19 is due to release sometime soon. Just about to try and start a nice little potato farm too!

Poor potatoes. Now I'm just gonna have to boil 'em instead... 😖

13 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

I can confirm that you absolutely need to start a new save.

I had hopes in early testing that we could copy at least the world over. Due to changes in progression copying character data will not be possible.

However now there have been a lot of changes to the prefabs. Some have been removed or updated. Others have been renamed, and new ones have been added. There have been block changes as well, so that will break your block ID table.

Please tell me they did not take away my ranger station!

• Roland pinned this topic
8 minutes ago, Feycat said:

That's literally not the same building at all. That's not "expanded," that's taking out the old POI and replacing it.

Dammit :(

I think you misunderstand.  The outpost is an addition. It's expanding from the one station to add additional outposts. Several in fact.

@Fellaz_StevieTee If you update the game you will need to start a new world. The good news is that you don't necessarily need to update the game.

You can actually specify the alpha version in Steam, by going to "Properties"->"Betas" and choosing a version. Choosing A18.4 Stable should keep the game as it is.

If you want to both play your current game and still opt in to the latest experimental, and don't mind using a community-made tool, you could also use the Mod Launcher (which is what I do). That copies the entire 7D2D game to a new folder, and you can just move your save game there. If you want details, you can ask, though there is plenty of information about that tool in the Mods section of this forum.

Who knows if any of this will still work when the game goes gold, but that's at least one more alpha away. By then you'll probably be sick of your world anyway. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Roland unpinned this topic

Archived