Returns when scrapping items

What determines what is returned when you scrap items (not blocks)?

For example, if I scrap a pistol, how can I, through a mod, change what I get back when scrapping a pistol? What config files control this? Items.xml does not seem to show this for the pistol (unless I just missed it).

Thanks

On 5/27/2020 at 1:06 PM, Chris Dunaway said:
What determines what is returned when you scrap items (not blocks)?

For example, if I scrap a pistol, how can I, through a mod, change what I get back when scrapping a pistol? What config files control this? Items.xml does not seem to show this for the pistol (unless I just missed it).

Thanks

The material of the item that you are scrapping determines what you will get back from scrapping.

For instance, a pistol:

<property name="Material" value="MHandGunParts"/> <property name="Weight" value="4"/>

Scrapping gives back, I think, 75% of the material. So with a weight of 4, the pistol will give 3 Handgun Parts.

You need to look in materials.xml to understand how "MHandGunParts" is translated.

If the item doesn't have a weight, then the type of material and the amount that you acquire by scrapping is obtained by multiplying the first ingredient in it's recipe (recipes.xml) by the scrapping percentage (75%).

• 3 months later...

It's not possible to have multiple options for results from scrapping, no. Items can only be made of one Material, and Materials can only be made of one item. I played around with this for a while trying to get bullets to scrap down to bullet tips and casings, to break down and reuse. No dice.

Archived