Running far too hot. PLEASE HELP.

I recently downloaded 7d2d on my pc and about 11 min of gameplay my gpu and cpu was running through the roof hot. The game was running fine the entire time but my computer was so hot i felt obglicated to manually shut down the game. I have the Acer Predator Helios 300 with a GTX 1660 Ti and it has no heat issue running GTAV or a heavily modded Fallout 4 for hours on end. I just want to know wahat I can do to keep this from happening. 

First install a programm that shows you the temperatures during gameplay. Hwinfo64, MSI Afterburner or similar.

Then check how high the temperatures really get. Also pick if it is the cpu or the gpu or both.

In comparison to GTAV or Fallout 4 i guess it's the cpu that is getting hotter, as 7d2d is much more cpu demanding then those games.

Laptops may feel really hot but the cpu/gpu temperature is still in tolerance.

Improving cooling for a laptop is hard. Maybe you can open it and clean it from dust. Some other use fanboards on which the laptop is placed for additional airflow. I don't know how effective they are. May also depend on the layout of the cooling system of your laptop.

Because voxel based games need a lot more power 7D2D is using your laptops resources like neither GTAV nor Fallout 4 ever could. Both your games were developed at a time where mostly a single CPU was used for games, current games often use all CPU cores which tends to maximize total power consumption.

Laptops in general have to do a lot of compromises to act as gaming laptop. You pay for your (mobile) comfort with a machine that has no adequate power dissipation if it really is pushed to the limits.

You may be able to reduce power dissipation somewhat by playing at much lower resolution than full-HD and turning down video options and making sure Vsync is activated. But probably your laptop will still be getting fairly hot. You might also improve power dissipation if you put the hot surfaces of your laptop in contact with metal or on a grate and put a running 120mm fan beneath the grate (or some other wild construct to cool your laptop) 😉

Normally CPUs will throttle down if they get into heat issues, the heat should not damage your laptop (but probably make the game run a lot slower because of the reduced speed).

If your laptop has heat issues, don't blame the game, blame the poor design of the laptop's heat dissipation. Most laptops have this issue which is why I always recommend ppl to buy the Opolar Laptop external fan as it effectively sucks out the heat far better than any laptop's internal fan and isn't obnoxiously loud like laptop fans either. I've been using one for I think 3 years now and it still works amazingly well.

And for the record, Laptop cooling pads are all a joke. They all have zero effect when it comes to cooling the internal components of a laptop.

In the meantime, you could limit the fps of the game to 60 or lower which will lower the stress on the hardware. If that's not enough, then also lowering graphics detail will further lower the stress / heat.

4 hours ago, Fox said:

If your laptop has heat issues, don't blame the game, blame the poor design of the laptop's heat dissipation. Most laptops have this issue which is why I always recommend ppl to buy the Opolar Laptop external fan as it effectively sucks out the heat far better than any laptop's internal fan and isn't obnoxiously loud like laptop fans either. I've been using one for I think 3 years now and it still works amazingly well.

And for the record, Laptop cooling pads are all a joke. They all have zero effect when it comes to cooling the internal components of a laptop.

In the meantime, you could limit the fps of the game to 60 or lower which will lower the stress on the hardware. If that's not enough, then also lowering graphics detail will further lower the stress / heat.

Wow, never knew about those opular fans.  I think I'll pick one up for my gaming laptop.

Should also note that the Acer Predator Helios 300 is nothing but issues. From under-clocking itself to drivers causing critical failures. This machine is a huge black mark on Acer's gaming platform of systems.  Even the earlier gen's Predator 17 G9-793-79V5 had an option to swap a DVD bay with an additional cooler.

Make certain your BIOS is up to date, and especially certain that all of your core Intel drivers are up to date from Intel or the manufacturer.  Windows actually updates an Intel driver on this specific platform that is known to cause multiple issues with overheating and frying systems.

Don't overclock it, and make certain it has more than ample room to breathe.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are you running Laptops? You could build a good gaming rig for $1000. I built my system (Window 10 Pro 64bit, AMD FX8350 ATI R9 270x 2gig, 16gig of ram).

Look all I read is people complaining about the game. The whole point about using a PC for gaming is fixing the problems to get games to run. I find this entertaining. I have PC and PS4. I play 7DTD on both. People need to back off the developers a little bit. I remember getting games working in DOS (ohh sweet times). I would love games to just work out of the box, but you have to tweak games that's how it works. I would like to thank Fun Pimps for what they have done so far with 7DTD. Try getting your sound card working in DOS.... 

Archived