Departure in random gen.

Iron Frog

Hello !

My friend and i are playing in a random gen. map ( Voluya territory ), he just searched all the desert biom and wasn't able to find "Departure", we're looking for the dishong tower to have fun, i learned that she only spawn in Departure, wich is located in the desert biom, but he could not find it even after he explored 100% of the desert, so my question is ( there's no way to be sure according to the wiki ) : does Departure ( alongside with the Tower ) spawn in random gen. worlds ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english

Named cities do not spawn in RWG, however the Dishong Tower prefab ("skyscraper_01") does appear in the rwgmixer.xml for vanilla random-gen maps. You can check the prefabs.xml file in your world save directory to see if skyscraper_01 appears in it. If so, then there is a Dishong Tower on the map. It does not have to be in the desert, but it ought to be in a larger city.

Among the four vanilla skyscrapers, it looks like the "Joe Bros Builders" under-construction POI is the most likely.

<prefab_rule name="skyscrapers">
  <!-- Downtown Zone Groups -->
  <prefab name="skyscraper_01" prob="0.2" /> <!-- Dishong -->
  <prefab name="skyscraper_02" prob="0.2" /> <!-- Crack-A-Book -->
  <prefab name="skyscraper_03" prob="0.2" /> <!-- Higashi -->
  <prefab name="skyscraper_04" /> <!-- Joe Bros Builders under construction skyscraper -->
</prefab_rule>

I think how this works is the game adds up the probability (implied 1.0 for skyscraper_04) for each option and then divides to get % chance. So 1.0 + 0.2 + 0.2 + 0.2 = 1.6 and then each option has the following probability:

Dishong, Higashi, or C-A-B = 0.2 / 1.6 = 12.5%

Joe Bros Builders = 1.0 / 1.6 = 62.5%

It may be that there is also a probability attached to the "Downtown Zone Groups". If the downtown zone group isn't selected by rwgmixer then even if your skyscraper is set to 100%, it wouldn't spawn.

You're right - several of the other POIs in the downtown group were no-shows. But I even put skyscraper_01 as a mandatory (min_count=1) into some of the other group rules and it wouldn't show up. Next I'm going to try to put it into the wilderness default group just to see if a Dishong will pop up out in the forest all by itself. 🙂

I am using the same 4K seed every test - 'WhereMyDishongAt' - to make sure it can 'force' a tower into every RNG map. I could try different seeds and hope to get lucky, but that doesn't quite solve OP's problem. Somehow I want to find the sweet spot between "one or two Dishong Towers on a 4K map" and "OMG why is every POI a Dishong Tower?"

43 minutes ago, Boidster said:

You're right - several of the other POIs in the downtown group were no-shows. But I even put skyscraper_01 as a mandatory (min_count=1) into some of the other group rules and it wouldn't show up. Next I'm going to try to put it into the wilderness default group just to see if a Dishong will pop up out in the forest all by itself. 🙂

I am using the same 4K seed every test - 'WhereMyDishongAt' - to make sure it can 'force' a tower into every RNG map. I could try different seeds and hope to get lucky, but that doesn't quite solve OP's problem. Somehow I want to find the sweet spot between "one or two Dishong Towers on a 4K map" and "OMG why is every POI a Dishong Tower?"

Add it, so it can also go into the commercial and/or industrial zone. Also give it a bit more of a higher than normal prob="". That way it has a better chance to be placed in the few, large enough open areas, the street layout produces. 

You probably already did but:

<property name="Zoning" value="commercial,downtown,industrial" />

in the prefabs xml

edit: (just to fill in more info).

As of right now in the vanilla prefab xml, a lot of buildings just has "downtown" for the zoning.

No downtown zoning in the town/city hub? no downtown prefabs will spawn.

So if you want to have the "sky_scrapper(s)" have a better chance to spawn? you also need to edit the prefabs zoning, to give it more zones it can get placed.

Still limited on how the streets get laid out. If it doesn't produce enough areas that are large enough to fit in, its less likely they will get placed.

29 minutes ago, Tin said:

You probably already did but:

<property name="Zoning" value="commercial,downtown,industrial" />

in the prefabs xml

No I probably did not! Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I was only messing about with rwgmixer.xml because n00b. Never even thought to change the POI's xml file. DUH. I will change zoning as you suggest and try again.

The POI zone and placement logic in RWG looks pretty complicated and over-engineered.

And is then also hard to debug and tune as a result.

In NitroGen I have used a way simpler approach to choose the POIs to place.

All there is, is basically the prefabs list with zone-markers for POIs and a couple of lines of code to choose the zone POIs for a specific city or town, and

place them in a way that they (try) not to repeat themself. (They will repeat if the city is big, as there are not unlimited variations of POIs)

The result is good enough for a game, without that much complexity introduced.

------

The only reason not to spawn skyscrapers would be due to performance limits on lower grade computers.

So a logic to only spawn one or two large POIs per city could make sense.

Archived