Zombies spawning inside my POI during horde night.

winkpea

I'm not sure if this is a bug or an intended feature (hopefully not the latter), but for the past two horde nights (28 and 35), I have had zombies spawn inside the POI I set up my base on. I play with 2 other people (not on a dedicated server), and we set up a wall around the POI. The POI itself was not big, about the size of a standard house POI. The wall was built around 2-5 blocks from the POI itself surrounding it so that we can fight the zombies from the wall. We placed our bedrolls in our rooms in the house's second floor and even did some renovating to make the place more homely.

Day 28 horde begins, and we're on the wall. Yet within 5 minutes, we notice that there are not as many zombies spawning outside the wall as expected (it was set to 24 zombie hordes). We turn around and see zombies spawning on the roof of the house and in the garden, beating their way out of the wall that's part of the POI to us. We kill those zombies, but they keep spawning inside the POI. We spent most of that night alternating between fighting the horde outside and then fighting the horde that was spawning inside our home.

With that in mind, we prepared for the Day 35 horde. We had one of us go into a tower that was built on top of the POI, so that they can (presumably) deny the spawning of zombies in our house. Our logic was that zombies cannot spawn within a certain distance from the players. The other two of us were on the wall as usual. The horde night begins, and this time, again, they start to spawn inside the POI. It was even worse than last time, with a higher percentage of zombies spawning inside the house itself (whereas last time they only spawned on the roof and in the yard). They then had different intentions, as some tried to get to us on the wall, while others tried to get to the player in the tower. He ended up having to get down from the tower and fight them on the stairs inside the house, and all the time while zombies were still spawning inside the yard. With a player at the stairs in the center of the house, zombies finally stopped spawning inside our rooms, but were still spawning inside the outer wall.

Again, not sure if this is intended or not, but in my opinion, it should not happen, as previously, in our last save on Alpha 18, a similarly sized wall structure was built (not around a POI that time), and zombies never spawned inside the wall during horde nights.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but I wanted to get other people's opinion on this matter.

I recall a change not too long ago that allowed bloodmoon horde spawns bypass bedroll protection. I cant speak for the zombies spawning on roofs, but one trick to minimize unwanted zombie spawns is to remove terrain blocks in the area in question and replacing them with player crafted blocks.

That is a potential fix for the issue, replacing terrain with player crafted blocks, but it doesn't fix the zombies spawning inside the POI, which ultimately became the main issue. This does give me the potential idea of replacing the blocks of the POI with player crafted blocks, and maybe that would fix the spawning, but that's just a lot of work that seems unnecessary given the whole point of staying in a POI instead of building your own little dwelling.

That is a potential fix for the issue, replacing terrain with player crafted blocks, but it doesn't fix the zombies spawning inside the POI, which ultimately became the main issue. This does give me the potential idea of replacing the blocks of the POI with player crafted blocks, and maybe that would fix the spawning, but that's just a lot of work that seems unnecessary given the whole point of staying in a POI instead of building your own little dwelling.

I agree!

I recall a change not too long ago that allowed bloodmoon horde spawns bypass bedroll protection. I cant speak for the zombies spawning on roofs, but one trick to minimize unwanted zombie spawns is to remove terrain blocks in the area in question and replacing them with player crafted blocks.

I don't think it was a change. Just a statement that LCB's and bedrolls don't block BM or screamer spawns. They only block POI spawns. Pretty sure it's been that way since forever too.

I don't think it was a change. Just a statement that LCB's and bedrolls don't block BM or screamer spawns. They only block POI spawns. Pretty sure it's been that way since forever too.

It is strange why the issue is only with blood moon horde spawns and not other types of spawning. My guess would be the two types of spawns are somehow on different systems that need to be unified or there is a specific reason they want blood moon spawns to overule bedroll/LCB protection.

Here is a really good spawning test done by Vedui.

[video=youtube_share;W4MubvSlYPc]

Again, based on the video, I would have to replace the POI blocks with player-built blocks. Which ruins the entire goal of fighting the horde around the POI (I wanted to try a live where you fight thing, as fighting the hordes from a tower was too simple imo). But it does look like tower defense will have to do since I cannot afford to have them spawn inside my home base, nor do I wish to rebuild my POI with player blocks.

In my opinion, once player built blocks are set up in a POI, such as active bedrolls, workbenches, defenses, etc., the game should detect that the player(s) are using that POI and can then stop having zombies spawn inside during horde night. This may lead to some exploits and the such, and might be too complicated, but such a system would fix this issue.

• 4 months later...

Hey, don't know if anyone is still listening but I had the same problem and we're in A19 now. Documented it on video here https://streamable.com/qx0p50 except without even using a POI and they still spawned inside. Then made an official bug report of it here. If any of you would like to add your weight into it then it'd probably help them recognize this for the serious bug that it is.

https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/under-review/bloodmoon-zombies-spawn-within-lcbbedroll-zone-r1740/

Just a question but is your base by any chance is in an area where zombies cant spawn naturally in a horde night?

I have a base made on the top of a mountain and i noticed that if i go just a little bit further from the middle of the area the dead start spawning literally inside the base. Its quite a terrible design choice.

Is your lcb/bedroll range modded to be so large that it covers the entire spawning range of the bloodmoon? Cause, if it's the ONLY place for z's to spawn within range of you then ofc they are going to spawn there regardless of any blocking device you put down. I have never in 2200 hours had a zombie spawn on BM inside my lcb area and I usually do my horde night within range of home. They spawn behind it and try to bash thru it or go around sure. And they spawn on all of the other directions from me as well.

Also - did you place down a lcb? Your OP only says you put down bedrolls.

Archived