Map sizes

Liveandlearn

I was wondering about the games limitations.

What is the smallest map your allowed to build ( 2048x2048, or even 512x512 )

And of course what is the maximum. 16384x16384 or larger is there a software limitation or will hardware be important in this case and does your pc determin the maximum map size.

I think 4km is the smallest in vanilla, I may be wrong on that though. 8km is the largest size you can do with the vanilla generator.

Using the NitroGen map generator will give you a larger variety of map sizes, up to 16km. After that there's a limitation with the terrain engine that will stop you making anything larger.

https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/-7-days-to-die-pc/game-modification/tools/116609-tool-nitrogen-a-random-world-generator-for-7dtd

And remember. Maps need to be a value of 1024. So that's 1024, 2048, ect... Though I have heard of a map as small as 512 working.

Also, the larger the map, the longer it will take to generate.

The larger one is out of curiousity but the smaller one.

Well how about pvp maps that are smaller so you can easier find eachother or make a pvp map for example with 2 big mall and thats it (Like kafe 848) That you can really limit your space.

I think 4km is the smallest in vanilla, I may be wrong on that though. 8km is the largest size you can do with the vanilla generator.

Using the NitroGen map generator will give you a larger variety of map sizes, up to 16km. After that there's a limitation with the terrain engine that will stop you making anything larger.

https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/-7-days-to-die-pc/game-modification/tools/116609-tool-nitrogen-a-random-world-generator-for-7dtd

I know of the vanilla generator. And Ive used nitrogen on A17x But thanks so 16k maps are the max (Although you need a beast of a pc to load one of those. My game got up to 13gb of ram and then crashed loading a 16k map.

You really shouldn't be having a problem with 16k maps and that much RAM. My gaming laptop only has 8gb RAM and generates/loads/runs a 16k map perfectly fine.

A lot of the terrain generation for vanilla is done on the GPU, perhaps that's the issue?

Hold on... NitroGen uses java, perhaps adjusting the amount of RAM available to the JVM would work? That said, I can still generate a 16k NitroGen map on only 8gb of RAM.

You can use Nitrogen to generate maps bigger than 16K, but neither the 7D2D client nor server will load them. I made a 20K map just for run. Nitrogen very happily made it. Sadly, neither 7D2D client nor server will load maps this big.

Nitrogen has a hard coded min map size of 4096. You can edit the menu xml file to force the 7D2D client to generate smaller worlds. I made a 256x256 world, but it was all water in a radiation zone. I then made a 512x512 world, and it was all water. A 1K world actually worked out well, but if you travel past the edge of the map, you fall off. You could probably edit rwgmixer.xml to fix these problems.

You really shouldn't be having a problem with 16k maps and that much RAM. My gaming laptop only has 8gb RAM and generates/loads/runs a 16k map perfectly fine.

A lot of the terrain generation for vanilla is done on the GPU, perhaps that's the issue?

Hold on... NitroGen uses java, perhaps adjusting the amount of RAM available to the JVM would work? That said, I can still generate a 16k NitroGen map on only 8gb of RAM.

I have no issues making big maps with nitrogen. Loading bigger maps then 10k in 7d2d is the prob for my system (i7 8core, 12gb ram, 1060 6g)

You can use Nitrogen to generate maps bigger than 16K, but neither the 7D2D client nor server will load them. I made a 20K map just for run. Nitrogen very happily made it. Sadly, neither 7D2D client nor server will load maps this big.

Nitrogen has a hard coded min map size of 4096. You can edit the menu xml file to force the 7D2D client to generate smaller worlds. I made a 256x256 world, but it was all water in a radiation zone. I then made a 512x512 world, and it was all water. A 1K world actually worked out well, but if you travel past the edge of the map, you fall off. You could probably edit rwgmixer.xml to fix these problems.

Great im gonna look into that. Thnx

I have no issues making big maps with nitrogen. Loading bigger maps then 10k in 7d2d is the prob for my system (i7 8core, 12gb ram, 1060 6g)

Can you post a crash log? You've got me curious as to why it fails with specs that seem far more than adequate.

Are you trying to use Vulkan? That's been spotty as to what hardware it'll run on.

I just now looked at my server, which is running a 12K map on day 20 or so. The 7D2D server process is using 10.5GB. They tend to spike a bit more than that on startup. I doubt it would perform well if you only have 12GB in the box, especially if you are running Winbloze. And a 16k map with just 8GB? I let you, dear reader, draw your own conclusion :).

The "official" requirement of 8GB only applies to 4K and 8K maps. Once you start running maps bigger than that, the rules go out the window and you need more memory.

No, a vanilla 16k map will want to use 10-12GB RAM just to play.

The laptop I'm currently playing a 16k map on would beg to differ with only 8gb RAM. Win 10 as well, I'm giving it a go for a while before I get around to ripping it out and installing some form of linux.

Give me a moment to boot the game...

6gb actual memory used, 15gb paged. That was running past the massive shotgun messiah factory with two zombies following, a snake biting at my heels, in the desert biome.

I'm assuming the map texture splat accounts for quite a bit of the paged memory.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 7:45 PM, zootal said:

Which file are you talking about. I cannot find the menu.xml file. Maybe I misunderstood. Changing the rwgmixer does nothing for map size (neither 12.5, 16.4 or 18.4).

It does however change the road sizes, POI's etc etc. I found that info. But the map size at the top of this rwgmixer file does nothing when u change it.

The generation logic in NitroGen is based on 4096 sized tiles, so there are no smaller maps, unless you create a custom island map, that uses only a small area in the center.

With custom heightmaps you can make maps with a play-area as small as you want.

Unity cannot process textures above 16k, that kind of determines the upper limit of the maps. Though 16k is quite big overall, especially if you stuff it with many POIs.

Anything above that would tank your performance anyways.

Much larger maps would require 7DtD to redesign the way world maps are processed. But thats unlikely to be implemented, and would not really add much to the game now, apart from complexity and problems.

Archived