Asphalt Block behaves like a chameleon

Druuna

Great that asphalt blocks are back in the game, but they behave like a chameleon now.

Means, they have always the color of the underlying block. On grass they look like grass, on gravel they look like gravel. Only when placed on a road they look like asphalt. Please take a look at it.

And would be cool if asphalt would be added to the paintbrush color menu, like gravel is. So that we can colorize road ramps in the right color.

Great that asphalt blocks are back in the game, but they behave like a chameleon now.

Means, they have always the color of the underlying block. On grass they look like grass, on gravel they look like gravel. Only when placed on a road they look like asphalt. Please take a look at it.

And would be cool if asphalt would be added to the paintbrush color menu, like gravel is. So that we can colorize road ramps in the right color.

This

+1

Looks like a bug to me. Probably somehow related to the terrain shader. The concrete terrain block (available via creative menu) is also affected. Last time I checked, that chameleon effect was able to cause optical glitches to POIs.

Edit

More info can be found here:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?140184-Dirt-block-without-biome-texture-override

Edited by Pille (see edit history)

I believe Sylen is correct. I think MM mentioned effect is due to the adaptive terrain shader or something like that. Hopefully it continues to be improved as at the end of the day it limits what players can do from an esthetic point of view. A workaround to this allowing terrain paints and flat sheeting to hide the seems.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I find it bizarre that the concrete block (which has the same texture ID mind you) used in creative when making prefabs, ends up being the same concrete flavor in all biomes, but when you craft one [or use creativemenu] and place it somewhere in the terrain, it morphs into that biome's topsoil appearance. There must be some hard-coded conditions that set the texture on a player-placed block with this new MM system as opposed to when the concrete texture block is placed in a prefab or part of the region generation.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...