What was everyone's else's experiences on there day 7 hordes to the highest level?

Lightingfast29

I hit gamestage 400, and it really gets intense at least on whatever is one up above 16 spawning, nightmare speed and insane difficulty. I did 10 min 24 hr cycles with min days and lasted like 14 days (at the very end of it, I had stockpiled ammo and stuff). Tbh I'd like to see them do a little bit more damage to bases contrary to popular opinion, but I can edit that myself lol. All I used were some dart traps and electric fencing, and that with my combat held em back until I ran out of ammo / concrete/iron/steel. Lasted until 4am always too. Usually was fighting until 8am after

So far not really different from a17 for me, it'll probally change once day 21 or 28 horde comes and I get high enough in GS for demolishers solo, but other than that, its not much different than a17.

If your gamestage reaches 153 then the first demolishers will appear. At first only sporadically but from gamestage 217 on with great regularity.

OK I am going to go to considerable length on this topic, as I have seen many comments about A18 horde nights that made me go "huh"? Here goes:

Background:

I started 2 play-throughs when A18 dropped. One was solo and the other was co-op with 1 other player. We both have 2000+ hours logged in this game and started playing at A14. So basically, we know what we are doing. As keen min-maxers, we have refined our approach to the game with each new release until we felt we knew exactly what we want to do and when; and we know exactly the base design we will go for.

Settings were: Warrior, 90 min days, 16 zeds alive per player; everything else default. This was for both play-throughs.

Our approach - both for solo and co-op - can be summarized as follows:

a) Days 1 to 2: explore and find a town or city that we can loot early; and that has a water source nearby. During this time we live on temporary rooftops at night.

b) As soon as we find what we are looking for we throw up our classic temporary base there: a 10 x 10 x 5 box made of cobblestone with a wood bar cage on top surrounded by 3 layers of iron spikes on all sides. We expect this base to handle 1 to 3 horde nights while we build our real base nearby.

c) We loot the nearby town to death to amass the basics (guns, ammo, food etc) till we feel comfortable. Typically takes a week during which we will upgrade the temp box base to re-enforced concrete.

d) week 2 is usually heavy resource gathering of stone and iron.

e) Week 3 is usually intense construction of our main base while still living in the box base.

f) From then on its just completion of main base's electrics, traps, turrets, and upgrading it to Steel.

And now, the following is what happened on each play-through's day 21 Horde night...in both play-throughs the horde was fought from the temporary box base of concrete, not the main base which was still under construction. This is totally normal for us; we do not usually have the main "auto-kill" base up till the day 28 horde. It does however mean we need to do most of the killing ourselves for the day 21 horde.

SOLO

I was gamestage 95 on day 21. The best weapon I had found was a tier 4 Pistol, but I had plenty of ammo for it. I fought the horde from the concrete box temp base. The fight was extremely easy and little threat to me. I fired about 400 rounds in total and the re-enforced concrete box base was untouched. This was exactly as I expected.

CO-OP (2 players)

I was gamestage 101 on day 21, and my friend was late 90s, so very similar numbers and levels to my solo game. The equation for multi-player GS in use at the time would have given us a combined gamestage of 320 (yes it is ridiculously over-tuned). This horde fight could not have been more different than my solo experience described above. We had a tier 6 Pump SG and a tier 6 AK between us. Despite this, the horde was simply unbelievable. We got tons of cops, irradiated zeds and a large group of Demolishers towards the end. The box base - again re-enforced concrete all round - was breached like wet paper, and a lot of our stuff inside destroyed. We were both killed, and in fact I died 3 times during that fight (I almost never die in this game any more, especially on Warrior). We fired 2000 rounds, which was all the ammo we had at the time. This was BY FAR the most OP day 21 horde I've ever seen in any alpha with these settings.

Main points to take away from this:

1) Solo play is easy mode in A18, by far. First alpha that I've played where this has been the case.

2) Settings and many other factors can really make massive difference to your horde night experience. Do not assume yours is typical.

3) Gamestage scaling for multi-player is broken. May have been addressed recently, I am not quite sure.

I just completed a GS 187 BM Horde. The "profligate expenditure of ammunition" (WorldWarZ) by my shotgun and SMG turrets and a slew of blade traps left me only 3 zombies that made it up the ramp that is the entrance to my base, all 3 of which were cut down by the 2 extra shotgun turrets outside my front door (they also dispatch any vultures coming my way). Apart from picking off the cops and occasional demolisher, I didn't have to do much myself, using up about 50 7.62mm rounds.

The turrets when through about 1,000 Shotgun shells and 3,000 9mm, but I'll have that replenished in a day or so.

I just completed a GS 187 BM Horde. The "profligate expenditure of ammunition" (WorldWarZ) by my shotgun and SMG turrets and a slew of blade traps left me only 3 zombies that made it up the ramp that is the entrance to my base, all 3 of which were cut down by the 2 extra shotgun turrets outside my front door (they also dispatch any vultures coming my way). Apart from picking off the cops and occasional demolisher, I didn't have to do much myself, using up about 50 7.62mm rounds.

How do you prevent the demolishers from exploding? According to my tests, the turrets almost always trigger the explosion. The blade traps at head height trigger the explosion as well.

The turrets when through about 1,000 Shotgun shells and 3,000 9mm, but I'll have that replenished in a day or so.

Where do you get all that brass from? Do you melt your coins ?

In my previous A18 world I played for 48 days on warrior difficulty, 12 (or 16? can't remember) zombies alive and the rest on standard, except for 125% XP. Didn't check my gamestage, but I was getting close to ten or so demolishers, lots of glowing zeds and ferals, spitting vultures, etc.

My horde base was very simple: five 3x3 reinforced concrete pillars with a roofed platform on them. Central pillar contained a ladder up, protected by a vault door. Platform floor mainly consisted of metal bars to shoot through, the pillars were lined with wood spikes and there were blade traps in between them. Also had a two machine gun turrets on pillars outside the base, looking inward, but they only had 200 rounds each because I was lazy.

During the last blood moon I had AGI maxed out and was using a pistol and magnum, with some quick SMG bursts in between. A few blocks got taken out, a blade trap got destroyed by a demolisher and I got hit by the vultures a few times, but other than that it was a breeze. Brass was looking tight though, so my next week was going to consist of farming radiators from houses, but then I got bored of the stagnant progression and started a new world.

I might actually up the zombie block damage a little, or maybe I should try a base that's not on stilts (or just a massive cube with bars on the sides). Felt like I was never at risk of having the base collapse.

In my previous A18 world I played for 48 days on warrior difficulty, 12 (or 16? can't remember) zombies alive and the rest on standard, except for 125% XP. Didn't check my gamestage, but I was getting close to ten or so demolishers, lots of glowing zeds and ferals, spitting vultures, etc.

My horde base was very simple: five 3x3 reinforced concrete pillars with a roofed platform on them. Central pillar contained a ladder up, protected by a vault door. Platform floor mainly consisted of metal bars to shoot through, the pillars were lined with wood spikes and there were blade traps in between them. Also had a two machine gun turrets on pillars outside the base, looking inward, but they only had 200 rounds each because I was lazy.

During the last blood moon I had AGI maxed out and was using a pistol and magnum, with some quick SMG bursts in between. A few blocks got taken out, a blade trap got destroyed by a demolisher and I got hit by the vultures a few times, but other than that it was a breeze. Brass was looking tight though, so my next week was going to consist of farming radiators from houses, but then I got bored of the stagnant progression and started a new world.

I might actually up the zombie block damage a little, or maybe I should try a base that's not on stilts (or just a massive cube with bars on the sides). Felt like I was never at risk of having the base collapse.

If that's the case they should make zombies stronger:) But first I'm going to try it out on warrior to see.

Day 42 Horde I decided to ramp things up a bit

24 Alive on survivalist. Gamestage 207

Base is a 6x6 by 5 high, solid steel. Iron bar walkway around the edge. More layers above for boxes, workbench, electrics etc Some bulletproof glass for visibility.

Zombie walkway where they try to jump to get me but fail and do the run around thing. 3 rows of Iron traps pretty much around the whole build.

Weapons lvl 5/6 Pump shotgun, Ak , M60, pistol , 2k 7.6 / 1200 9mm, 500 shotgun rounds, crossbow with 70 exploding arrows.

Lots of irradiated zombies, at times a virtual sea of green, green soldiers green cops, even more green cops

The first horde night I had to really use the junk turret, went through 1500 rounds of junk turret ammo.

About half way through the demolishers arrived, managed to kill some before they exploded, just trying to shoot them in the rear seemed the easiest option. After a few explosions there were gaps in the flooring in front of my base and I could see zombies trying to go underground.

Cops destroyed most of the iron bar spots I could stand on to make them loop around on the zombie ramp so had to a bit of moving around.

Had to repair the m60 twice, pistol once, Ak once and turret once. Two irradiated spider zombies jumped into the base over the course of the night. First one I didnt actually notice till suddenly realised my health was at 50%.

2am and the screamers started arriving, that might have been due to the exploding arrows as I used about 50 of them .

Any way survived the night.

Had to replace about a dozen blocks.

50% of the iron traps were gone.

Took half the day doing repairs

Amount of ammo expended was huge

Got one loot bag with 12 paper in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived