Umbrellas...

Morloc

I wouldn't be able to do my "Singing in the rain" routine if I had an umbrella...

Hmm...Gene Kelly's couldn't be done without an umbrella....so now I'm intrigued. ;)

Every time I start freezing I think....I can build an M60 or a leather duster, but I can't fashion a workable umbrella?

-Morloc

Hmm...Gene Kelly's couldn't be done without an umbrella....so now I'm intrigued. ;)

Every time I start freezing I think....I can build an M60 or a leather duster, but I can't fashion a workable umbrella?

-Morloc

Very true, but I am no Gene Kelly. An umbrella would get in my way. Landing on my face is not part of my routine :D

What about a trick umbrella that has a knife in the tip you can press a button to make come out for a improvised spear/piercing weapon.

- - - Updated - - -

-Morloc

Honestly? I'd like a toggle in the options menu to shut weather survival off, it serves no purpose, I go around in game all day sweltering or freezing and I just don't care much. I use the colledge jacket for the run speed buff no matter the weather.

What about a trick umbrella that has a knife in the tip you can press a button to make come out for a improvised spear/piercing weapon.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly? I'd like a toggle in the options menu to shut weather survival off, it serves no purpose, I go around in game all day sweltering or freezing and I just don't care much. I use the colledge jacket for the run speed buff no matter the weather.

You can turn off the weather survival with console if you are admin or on your home computer...not sure of the command but it is somewhere on the forum.

I don't think an umbrella would work out too well while running around killing zombies. Rain gear such as a rain coat, pants, boots might. I would expect to find these things in the fire halls. I can't really get excited about umbrellas or rain gear though when getting wet doesn't seem to have anything detrimental linked to it yet.

I go around in game all day sweltering or freezing and I just don't care much.

I can't really get excited about umbrellas or rain gear though when getting wet doesn't seem to have anything detrimental linked to it yet.

I've been finding weather a huge concern in my current game.

When I get wet I get colder. My gear is just at the edge where if it's not raining out, I'll occasionally hit areas where I need to equip a torch (or build a campfire if I'm digging). At some point I'll find additional vending machines, and I'll be able to handle the extra food drain, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm playing on 25% loot, so finding any food is a rare, rare event.

Whenever it rains or snows though, the cold will creep up to the 2nd warning level. I usually need to seek shelter. This is all exactly what one should expect in a good survival game. I think the default loot is far too generous, which will allow you to ignore something like extra food consumption.

I like the idea of special clothing that mitigates dampness (excluding immersion :p), but an umbrella would essentially follow the same mechanics as the torch does now (holding a torch will warm you up) , though you'd only be able to equip one or the other unless we allow for off-hand items at some point. I like the idea of being on a 2km run and a storm suddenly bearing down on you forcing you to build a campfire, or seek a building to hole up in until it blows over. Trudging ahead with limited visibility, shivering with a torch in one hand and an umbrella in the other wishing you'd brought more dog food....that sounds fun too.

-Morloc

When I get wet I get colder. My gear is just at the edge where if it's not raining out, I'll occasionally hit areas where I need to equip a torch (or build a campfire if I'm digging). At some point I'll find additional vending machines, and I'll be able to handle the extra food drain, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm playing on 25% loot, so finding any food is a rare, rare event.

Whenever it rains or snows though, the cold will creep up to the 2nd warning level. I usually need to seek shelter. This is all exactly what one should expect in a good survival game. I think the default loot is far too generous, which will allow you to ignore something like extra food consumption.

I like the idea of special clothing that mitigates dampness (excluding immersion :p), but an umbrella would essentially follow the same mechanics as the torch does now (holding a torch will warm you up) , though you'd only be able to equip one or the other unless we allow for off-hand items at some point. I like the idea of being on a 2km run and a storm suddenly bearing down on you forcing you to build a campfire, or seek a building to hole up in until it blows over. Trudging ahead with limited visibility, shivering with a torch in one hand and an umbrella in the other wishing you'd brought more dog food....that sounds fun too.

-Morloc

I didn't realize that it was possible again. I guess I just haven't spent too many days in a row in the snow biome. I miss those days of being concerned about the weather, finding some hidey hole to build a campfire for a few minutes just to get warm enough to push on to the next building where you might find something better to help you. A problem might be then that we just don't have enough reasons to stay in some different biomes for a long time, setting aside personal wants and preferences. Given how much I play, why is it that I could have gone this long without seeing hardships with wetness? Why am I missing out on this content?

They need something like quests that daisy chain POIs together within a biome, and more biome-specific resources and loot.

...and more biome-specific resources and loot.

That's another cool idea....biome-specific loot. Find more food in the snow biomes...because it's frozen. More guns in the desert...because it's dry. That sort of thing.

-Morloc

That's another cool idea....biome-specific loot. Find more food in the snow biomes...because it's frozen. More guns in the desert...because it's dry. That sort of thing.

-Morloc

Certainly. For things like the upcoming legendary gear, instead of just finding them, requiring them to be assembled using specific parts that can only be found in quests from specific biomes would ensure that players explore them often... possibly with a part that can only be found in the wastelands quests.

- - - Updated - - -

Umbrella hat mod:

robert-w-patten-umbrella-hat-man-post-card.jpg

You can turn off the weather survival with console if you are admin or on your home computer...not sure of the command but it is somewhere on the forum.

Yeah but using the console for something like that is basically cheating so... I won't do it. about all I use the console for is to clear my quest log of failed quests, since there is no normal way to remove them for example to remove a tier 2 fetch/clear quest you type this: removequest tier2_fetch_clear sadly it'll remove random ones so you will need to enter it till it gets rid of the one you want.

- - - Updated - - -

-Morloc

I don't even bother, I just let my char be freezing or sweltering, its not like I lack food or water, and the stat debuff doesn't seem to be there anymore as far as I can tell. I do wish I could disable that hot/cold overlay though that happens when you have those status, especially the heat one.

Archived