20FPS with a 1080ti wth?

LethalWarfare

So I have a really good PC and can't seem to run 7d2d on it. On avg I get about 40fps or so at mid-high settings. During horde I get about 20FPS avg with all settings at lowest except textures. I know consoles get better FPS in this game during horde even with splitscreen on. So why can't my really powerfull gaming PC do it?

Specs:

Graphics: GTX 1080ti

CPU ryzen 2700x @4.3GHz

RAM: 32GB ddr4 3000Mhz

If anyone knows a fix please help me, I really love this game but can't seem to run it.

I'm starting to think it's an issue with the 1080, unless you're trying to run at something higher than 1920x1080.

Or, it could be the Ryzen. (Don't shoot me Fox, it's just a theory. Hear me out.) Every report I've been given recently about a system with specs that should be getting a stable 60FPS easy, have had Ryzen CPU's.

I've been trying to figure this one out since reports started coming in during a16.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?80439-Low-frames-with-1080-TI-less-than-20

It's almost like performance has been increasing with the Intel chipset, but decreasing with AMD, and I'm starting to think it's something with Unity and the power settings.

The little bit of research I've done shows it may also have something to do with power plan settings. I don't have a Ryzen to test, but I would suspect that the CPU is still sitting in idle. From what I've been reading, it's a problem with the Microsoft Balanced Power Plan. AMD has a customized balanced power plan to replace it and may resolve the issue, or you can just disable the power plan.

TLDR: Try disabling the power plan and CPU clock throttling.

I'm starting to think it's an issue with the 1080, unless you're trying to run at something higher than 1920x1080.

Or, it could be the Ryzen. (Don't shoot me Fox, it's just a theory. Hear me out.) Every report I've been given recently about a system with specs that should be getting a stable 60FPS easy, have had Ryzen CPU's.

I've been trying to figure this one out since reports started coming in during a16.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?80439-Low-frames-with-1080-TI-less-than-20

It's almost like performance has been increasing with the Intel chipset, but decreasing with AMD, and I'm starting to think it's something with Unity and the power settings.

The little bit of research I've done shows it may also have something to do with power plan settings. I don't have a Ryzen to test, but I would suspect that the CPU is still sitting in idle. From what I've been reading, it's a problem with the Microsoft Balanced Power Plan. AMD has a customized balanced power plan to replace it and may resolve the issue, or you can just disable the power plan.

TLDR: Try disabling the power plan and CPU clock throttling.

Shots fired! I repeat, shots fired! lol

Ok, let's just assume for a second it was a Ryzen related issue. Why have I never received any performance issues at all with my Ryzen 1600x with GTX 1060 GPU and my PC illiterate sister never receives any performance issues with her Ryzen 1700x with GTX 1060 GPU? Is it because we tuned our systems correctly or is it just random coincidence? Our CPU's basically idle while the GPU maxes out giving us a solid 60+ fps in-game.

- Have you clocked your ram speed correctly (DDR4 under-clocks itself to the default 2100MHz no matter which ram you buy)

- And yes, I agree with SylenThunder's suggestion to disable the power plan if it isn't already.

Personally, I think it somehow relates to the GTX 1080 and 1080ti cards. I think maybe the VRMs overheat or something causing game issues. Cuz I see a lot of these topics and they almost always include these cards, and occasionally Ryzen as well.

Personally, I think it somehow relates to the GTX 1080 and 1080ti cards. I think maybe the VRMs overheat or something causing game issues. Cuz I see a lot of these topics and they almost always include these cards, and occasionally Ryzen as well.

Yes, the 1080 was my original assumption as well, but then I went reviewing my reports on it, and noticed some similarities. Almost every report on this issue was using a Ryzen chip. In the cases where Intel chipsets were being used, they were attempting resolutions of greater than 1080p. Which made me dig a little bit further, and found some reports of Unity not loading up the CPU when they were in idle mode for various games on the Ryzen chipset. Why, I can't say. It seems stupid to me, and could be an issue with Unity.

Yes, the 1080 was my original assumption as well, but then I went reviewing my reports on it, and noticed some similarities. Almost every report on this issue was using a Ryzen chip. In the cases where Intel chipsets were being used, they were attempting resolutions of greater than 1080p. Which made me dig a little bit further, and found some reports of Unity not loading up the CPU when they were in idle mode for various games on the Ryzen chipset. Why, I can't say. It seems stupid to me, and could be an issue with Unity.

Too many cores spreading the load and making Windows / Unity think the CPU is in idle? That's both funny and sad at the same time if it's true. In a way, I kind of hope it's true, I'm not even sure why.

Well, I don't mention XMP / DOCP specifically, but ya, if you don't have the clock speeds for both CPU and ram as well as timings and voltages set up correctly, more so with Ryzen based computers if using ram not in QVL, then ya, you're going to be disappointed in overall performance as ram auto under-clocks to 2100MHz by default to ensure stability.

EDIT: FYI, motherboards have also released a new chipset driver update for Windows 10 users not that long ago which claims to fix Ryzen balanced power plan. So there's that too.

I use Windows 7 so I don't think I ever had this issue (or any other for that matter). I just happened to stumble across it while comparing my abandoned drivers to Windows 10 drivers.

Archived