@TFP: Will this game ever have duel wielding?

Erik Louden

And in both of these instances, you're not dealing with mindless mass of meat, both of these recognize shields and will hesitate instead of piling up on you.

Throughout history shields were never once used against anything else then humans who possess ability to think and can get demoralized.

And sure, shields are a weapon just as much as sword in historical context, but again, its usefulness drops to zero if you are against something that literally doesn't have fear and outnumbers you.

I disagree with basically all of this.

Having worked in a prison and performed extractions, it's nothing nearly so simple. Some of them have mental health issues, others are just angry people who hate anything in a uniform. Some inmates didn't hesitate even a split second before charging the first guy through the door (who is holding the shield). Maybe they will, but someone in a cell with nothing to lose and nowhere to go doesn't play out that way. If they're determined, nothing in the arsenal we were allowed to use would even remotely make them pause. Just the way it works.

Far as just being use against humans, it's true that humans were the intended target/recipient, but not entirely. The use of shields in places such as the arenas of the Roman Empire against tigers and other animals during games is well documented. That's one example i knew off the top of my head, but if i did some digging, would likely find more.

Usefulness of the shield isn't, as you're indicating, simply a scare tactic or something to make a person pause. In 7 Days, of course you're attacking zombies...but bashing the ♥♥♥♥ out of one in the head with the flat of a shield would work just fine. I wouldn't say *just* a shield, but if it's what you have, using a bash to push one back and then crush it's skull with it seems more than plausible. Even a simple jab with something as small as a buckler or forearm shield would be enough to break bones and do serious damage to the skull.

The only time people in history where really dual-wielding melee-weapons was with a Rapier and a Dagger (in a dueling situation).

Having two melee weapons is pointless. Better to have a shield in the second hand or handling a two handed weapon.

Hm, thats correct if you fight in formations like the Vikings, Spartans or Romans etc.

But they also showed us many duells (like you mentioned) with two weapons. Even a Net is possible, or a spear and a dagger.

But just a Shield would be cool enough with shieldbash or shieldcover.

A long range weapon would be nice anyway. Like a spear or a pitchfork with knockback.

-- Sure. Depending. If I saw three rabid dogs running at me and had the time to pick between;

a shield, say a typical modern riot shield for arguments sake

a baseball bat

a hunting knife (6" blade)

a bolt action hunting rifle holding 3 rounds in it's magazine and one in the chamber

a 'typical' 9mm semi-automatic pistol with a 15 round magazine

a pump-action 12 guage shotgun with 7 rounds in the tube and one chambered

I'd 2H the Bat. I played baseball for years growing up. A single power attack to the head from a bat in the hand of a seasoned baseball player and you are dead. If you aren't dead your skull is in so many pieces you will wish you were.

I'd 2H the Bat. I played baseball for years growing up. A single power attack to the head from a bat in the hand of a seasoned baseball player and you are dead. If you aren't dead your skull is in so many pieces you will wish you were.

Uh with a shotgun you can that without having to time it so you connect with the head of a charging animal.

Sure, 2h'd swing of a bat is what I was thinking of. But was also thinking that the 3 rabid dogs would basically be on you at the same time, so said, 'you're going to get bitten, better your legs than your head or neck,...'

Now if there was a way/set-up where they could only come at you one at a time (dog door?), then sure, a bat could work fine.

Or say the person has never used a firearm in their life, a bat might well be a better choice for them.

Or, someone like you who's very comfortable using a bat may well grab that in the above situation.

Heck, someone who's studied the Flilpino knife fighting martial art would likely choose the hunting knife.

(on a side note, I agree w you about the damage a baseball bat could cause to a skull. A17's club/bat damage doesn't seem right at later stages. Thankfully it looks like they're getting a major increase in A18.)

This was all just my thoughts/opinions as related to whether a 'shield' had any use in a zombie apocolypse. To me they make sense in a zompoc, to others they don't. All good & to each their own.

Archived