@TFP: Will this game ever have duel wielding?

Erik Louden

I think we may eventually see a basic shield for the off-hand, but it would have a large negative impact on movement and agility. I honestly don't think we will see anything more, even if we end up seeing that. Madmole talked about this in the dev diary several months ago, but I'm having trouble locating it atm.

I think we may eventually see a basic shield for the off-hand, but it would have a large negative impact on movement and agility. I honestly don't think we will see anything more, even if we end up seeing that. Madmole talked about this in the dev diary several months ago, but I'm having trouble locating it atm.

what? I was certain that double pistol and smg was at least spoken positivly... damn that is disappointing.

Like... didnt have to be sword and pistol like skyrim, but at least double pistol and smg, since that is what most games let you use.

what? I was certain that double pistol and smg was at least spoken positivly... damn that is disappointing.

Like... didnt have to be sword and pistol like skyrim, but at least double pistol and smg, since that is what most games let you use.

Found a reply from April. I cheated a little with the nesting to get it cleaner...

Could add a flashlight to the recipe for a bicycle and therefore give the bike a 'headlight' and another use for a flashlight.

Could even be an optional ingredient, that could open a whole can of worms though.

It could also be held in the left hand...

There is no support for off hand weapons, so no that, no shields.

I swear he had talked about another mechanic that would allow for a shield though.

Why would a basic shield have serious impact on movement? I mean it´s not that it has to withstand swords or bullets. A simple wooden shield should protect you from a hit done by a Zombie easily. And hasn´t to be really big for that. I dunno about you, but a small wooden shield doesn´t really impact my movement or stamina seriously.

Well I was thinking that you would be sacrificing the power attack.

Or shield bash?

Someone mentioned seeing a TFP pic with spiked knuckles on both hands so maybe there is hope.

Regular use of fists already allows you to use 2 hands.

Doesen't mean its "dual wield", because you don't have 2 separate weapons on 2 separate hands, its one and the same item.

Plus, it makes less then zero sense in a game like 7d.

lol? Cause a anti-riot shield and a machete or hell a pistol is stupid in a zombie apocalyspe? Yeah right...

It actually does seem pretty damn stupid, because you're carrying now a very large, bulky object, which occupies your hand constantly, can't be put down, can make a lot of noise by accident and limits severely your mobility.

I think the point of dual wielding in movies is for bad-ass epic visual moments.

I think the point of dual wielding in video games is for fun.

“Practical” is probably a word that never comes up in planning meetings for either movies or video games.

Why would a shield vs enemies that melee all the time not be practical? Unarmed melee even. So no need for heavy materials and as it only has to defend vs a hand, it doesn´t even have to be big. Mounted to your wrist i can see a lot of practical use for that.

I mean all the people using shields before gunpowder was invented propably had a good reason for that.

Duel wielding is stupid. Shields are stupid. It's a zombie game. Not a fantasy RPG. Go play Skyrim.

I'm less concerned about dual wielding weapons (though fist weapons using both seems fair), but more about being able to hold a torch or flashlight in one hand, and a club or knife in the other. Not looking for skyrim mechanics, just something that's realistic to the subject at hand.

Would point out that riot shields or other such items also aren't "skyrim", and are used in military and paramilitary groups widely.

That Shields -aren't- in a Zombie game is what's amazing.

Look at any point in human history (once we started making stuff). Anytime there's significant fighting there are shields.

Ask any Army National Guardsmen. They train in using shields. Same with Police. Hell, protesters use thier signs as shields.

It's a natural reflex to try and put something between you and an oncomng attack; hiding behind a tree or wall. A 'shield' is just a small mobile wall.

I can't think of a single known culture that didn't have shields. From very early stone tool equipped native americans to african bushmen to 'modern' times.

That Shields -aren't- in a Zombie game is what's amazing.

Look at any point in human history (once we started making stuff). Anytime there's significant fighting there are shields.

Ask any Army National Guardsmen. They train in using shields. Same with Police. Hell, protesters use thier signs as shields.

It's a natural reflex to try and put something between you and an oncomng attack; hiding behind a tree or wall. A 'shield' is just a small mobile wall.

I can't think of a single known culture that didn't have shields. From very early stone tool equipped native americans to african bushmen to 'modern' times.

There is another constant you have forgotten about - in not a singular instance ever was the shield used against anything that wasn't sentient.

Its not shield that would be your first choice against rabid animal/herd of animals charging at you, animals being shaped as half eaten humans doesn't change that, you still have something that doesn't use projectiles, doesn't rely on morale, doesn't use predictable fighting styles with a specific weapon you'd guard against.

You wouldn't even want to have a shield around around a pair of rabid dogs/wolves, same thing for zombies.

Shields role is to stop objects - its not going to do much if objects don't really want to stop.

Katitof, I'm not at all sure I followed your post, so let me know if I skipped the track.

a) Shields have never been used against non-sentients. (did I get that right?)

-- ok, I'll agree with that. Holding a briefcase over your head to keep the hailstones off is a different thing.

b) Shields wouldn't be your first choice against attacking animals. Rabid animals or zombies don't run out of arrow/bullets, they'll continue to fight until stopped, not just until they get a bit winded, and they're unpredictable while also using any body part as weapons.

-- Sure. Depending. If I saw three rabid dogs running at me and had the time to pick between;

a shield, say a typical modern riot shield for arguments sake

a baseball bat

a hunting knife (6" blade)

a bolt action hunting rifle holding 3 rounds in it's magazine and one in the chamber

a 'typical' 9mm semi-automatic pistol with a 15 round magazine

a pump-action 12 guage shotgun with 7 rounds in the tube and one chambered

If they were more than ~20 yards away I'd choose the shotgun, closer and I'd go with the pistol.

But, if I _could_ I'd grab the shield as well.

Take all the firearms away and leave the shield, hunting knife and baseball bat. Against 3 rabid dogs. I'd go with the shield. Reasons being; you're going to get bitten, better your legs than your head or neck, your legs are better weapons against a dog than your fists, and a shields edge can deliver a blow powerful enough to break bone.

A helmut is a shield for your head. Body armor is basically shields strapped to you. Taping magazines to your forearms like Pitt did in that Z movie. All of those are purely defensive measures. And while a 'Shield' is quite capable of being used offensively, even if that's tossed out of the equation, I personally think it's defensive pluses would make them valuable in a zom-apoc.

(though, sadly, we'll never know... j/k'ing! :biggrin1: )

Edit: just to clarify; I've always assumed that a shield added to the game would primarily be defensive. While a 'Shield Bash' secondary attack would be really nice, that's getting into dual-wield territory, and I don't think Unity supports that. So, were shields added, I'd expect them to basically be another piece of armor (sadly).

Negatives would be, like the other armor bits, Stamina drain; both as an 'always on' and to the zoomed-in stamina drain.

Shields role is to stop objects - its not going to do much if objects don't really want to stop.

Just for fun, i'd point out that in a prison, shields are used to contain/block/restrict inmates who are being forcefully removed from a cell (for whatever reason), and riot police are taught (from my experience) to use it for more than just blocking thrown objects. Even more fun can be had if you include the idea that prisons have "shock shields" that can be used to restrict a prisoner's movement *and* hit them with a charge to subdue them. ;)

Throughout history, shields have been *much* more than just object stoppers. There are no shortage of examples for shields being used offensively in tandem, or even without, melee weapons.

Even if you take the position it's just a hunk of wood for stopping inanimate objects, there's no getting around the fact that getting slammed with one is going to have some effect regardless of something/one who won't or can't stop. :)

Just for fun, i'd point out that in a prison, shields are used to contain/block/restrict inmates who are being forcefully removed from a cell (for whatever reason), and riot police are taught (from my experience) to use it for more than just blocking thrown objects. Even more fun can be had if you include the idea that prisons have "shock shields" that can be used to restrict a prisoner's movement *and* hit them with a charge to subdue them. ;)

Throughout history, shields have been *much* more than just object stoppers. There are no shortage of examples for shields being used offensively in tandem, or even without, melee weapons.

Even if you take the position it's just a hunk of wood for stopping inanimate objects, there's no getting around the fact that getting slammed with one is going to have some effect regardless of something/one who won't or can't stop. :)

And in both of these instances, you're not dealing with mindless mass of meat, both of these recognize shields and will hesitate instead of piling up on you.

Throughout history shields were never once used against anything else then humans who possess ability to think and can get demoralized.

And sure, shields are a weapon just as much as sword in historical context, but again, its usefulness drops to zero if you are against something that literally doesn't have fear and outnumbers you.

I guess that's why the boar spear was made. Some animals will attack if running away doesn't work and will rarely recognize any object but the human as a threat. Maybe Zombies might react the same (think of the Game of Thrones big battle with them).

But, a full speed charge from an adult grizzly bear might kill a man just from the impact, with a boar spear or not. Maybe if it was braced by a tree?

Archived