A17 Silencer is a fake?

ColdGate

I make some tests, and looks like silencer attachment is a fake. Yes, it suppresses the firing sound of a weapon, but... its only sound effect, it does not reduce noise range for zombies detection at all!

Example 1:

You see few sleepers in a house, and shoot one of them with bow or x-bow, result - only aimed zombie will be triggered

Example 2:

You see few sleepers in a house, and shoot one of them with silenced pistol, result - all zombies will be triggered. Ok, if range is far enough, also only aimed zombie will be triggered. But when we make some tests, we noticed that this distance exactly same as for pistol without silencer! Same way it works for rifles.

Maybe silencer designed for PVP purposes only? Description says " It greatly suppresses the firing sound of a weapon but also reduces maximum range and damage" all this absolutely confirmed, and also there's nothing about noise range.

Bummer. I had especially put together a sniper rifle with a silencer to clear POIs without the zombies waking up.

Then I'll have to keep doing that with my crossbow. With 4 points in Hidden Strike, Boom Headshot and Archery it works well. Even with radioactive zombies.

Bummer. I had especially put together a sniper rifle with a silencer to clear POIs without the zombies waking up.

Then I'll have to keep doing that with my crossbow. With 4 points in Hidden Strike, Boom Headshot and Archery it works well. Even with radioactive zombies.

What works great is the stealth perks! I'm at perk level 4 for all three stealth skills and can sometimes fire a SHOTGUN in a room full of zombies more than once. My record is 3 stealth kills in one room, with a shotgun. :)

What works great is the stealth perks! I'm at perk level 4 for all three stealth skills and can sometimes fire a SHOTGUN in a room full of zombies more than once. My record is 3 stealth kills in one room, with a shotgun. :)

I recently visited a POI for a quest where there was a hole in the wall in the basement and several strong zombies in the cave behind it. I could kill them all with a shotgun without even one of them waking up.

There are also zombies that are obviously only triggered when you reach a certain point. For example, in Navezgane there is a mansion on a mountain with a laboratory underneath. In the lab there are several strong zombies that all wake up at the same time when you enter the room in front of the lab. But if you take the back entrance then they sleep comfortably while you kill them one by one.

With the Stealth Perks I'm unsure about the function of From the Shadows. Are these advantages only active when you are in shadow or in general and do you have to crouch to make it active ?

I make some tests, and looks like silencer attachment is a fake. Yes, it suppresses the firing sound of a weapon, but... its only sound effect, it does not reduce noise range for zombies detection at all!

Example 1:

You see few sleepers in a house, and shoot one of them with bow or x-bow, result - only aimed zombie will be triggered

Example 2:

You see few sleepers in a house, and shoot one of them with silenced pistol, result - all zombies will be triggered. Ok, if range is far enough, also only aimed zombie will be triggered. But when we make some tests, we noticed that this distance exactly same as for pistol without silencer! Same way it works for rifles.

Maybe silencer designed for PVP purposes only? Description says " It greatly suppresses the firing sound of a weapon but also reduces maximum range and damage" all this absolutely confirmed, and also there's nothing about noise range.

I suggest you fire a suppressed weapon in real life. It does not work like you see in movies......

I suggest you fire a suppressed weapon in real life. It does not work like you see in movies......

Yeah, but even the one irl is prob much more effective than the one in 7dtd that does bascally nothing. The major issue with the game is you can't really go any build other than int early game or else your going to suffer hard. Early game is when you'd need the stealth the most i'd imagine. Getting workbench and vechicles is needed asap. Then again in the recent unstable build they upped the chances to get higher quality loot in terms of what tier it is earlier, so maybe int won't be such a crutch anymore. Hell I am perfectly fine with using a workbench in a poi if I can find one.

I recently visited a POI for a quest where there was a hole in the wall in the basement and several strong zombies in the cave behind it. I could kill them all with a shotgun without even one of them waking up.

There are also zombies that are obviously only triggered when you reach a certain point. For example, in Navezgane there is a mansion on a mountain with a laboratory underneath. In the lab there are several strong zombies that all wake up at the same time when you enter the room in front of the lab. But if you take the back entrance then they sleep comfortably while you kill them one by one.

With the Stealth Perks I'm unsure about the function of From the Shadows. Are these advantages only active when you are in shadow or in general and do you have to crouch to make it active ?

I'm really not sure but I think so. I stay crouched 95% of the time while in a POI and I have 3% noise even when moving but my noise is 100% for the second I fire. Its not long enough to wake some zombies is what I figure.

I've steath'ed right next to zombies before and they stay sleeping.

Edit: I have 2 strength so melee is not a great option. Or is it?

But when we make some tests, we noticed that this distance exactly same as for pistol without silencer!

Can't confirm this. Before I had from my gameplay only the rough evaluation that a pistol with silencer has a noise range of ~5 Blocks and other weapons ~10 Blocks.

So I decided to do a test myself, cleared a POI except one sleeper and got near to him, block for block and shooting once per block. To my own surprise the noise range /wake up range was only 2 blocks!

I did the same test at another POI without silencer and the noise range/wake up range was 11 blocks.

Maybe there are parameters which influence the range we dont know. I have all sneak perks maxed and advanced muffle connectors in my military gear, and maybe that influences the noise range. Maybe the zeds are different, maybe some "hear" better than other.

I'm interested to clear the situation, please describe your test setup so that I can repeat it.

I'm really not sure but I think so. I stay crouched 95% of the time while in a POI and I have 3% noise even when moving but my noise is 100% for the second I fire. Its not long enough to wake some zombies is what I figure.

I've steath'ed right next to zombies before and they stay sleeping.

My main concern is to move quietly in the building.

For example, I have a quest open in a big church where I have been before. I never managed to move quietly through the whole building.

I would really like to sneak through a house with my crossbow completely quietly and kill every single zombie without even one waking up. But at some places you can't get past when you're crouched. So I would have hoped that "From the shadows" would generally dampen all noises.

I also like working in the mine and it would be convenient if zombies on the surface didn't hear you and start digging.

Edit: I have 2 strength so melee is not a great option. Or is it?

If you manage to get within range of his head, you can try a steath attack with your club or sledgehammer. It's worked for me before.

I would really like to sneak through a house with my crossbow completely quietly and kill every single zombie without even one waking up.

Avoid jumping, use frame ramps instead, and don't use ladders, you make a sound when you enter/leave them. I do often rip a hole into the ceiling for a ramp access to the next floor, only to avoid jumping and ladders.

That depends a lot one what weapon and suppressor you are using. I've seen a bolt action rifle that firing resulted in 3 distinct sounds, the click of the action, a slight hiss as the excess gas escapes the suppressor, and a faint slap as the round hits a dirt berm downrange.

Maybe the zeds are different, maybe some "hear" better than other.

Yep! Every sleeper spawn position has an individual setting to adjust the zombie's hearing and sight range.

The only way to really test this is to make your own POI with a sleeper that is guaranteed to spawn every time you test it. It's the only way to know for sure that these hearing sight values remain the same.

That depends a lot one what weapon and suppressor you are using. I've seen a bolt action rifle that firing resulted in 3 distinct sounds, the click of the action, a slight hiss as the excess gas escapes the suppressor, and a faint slap as the round hits a dirt berm downrange.

Yea that is the point that rifle was firing subsonic ammo. I still will say if you fire that in a building the blast wave will be "felt" over the entire room. Maybe alpha 18 will introduce special ammo for surpressed weapons?????

<passive_effect name="DamageFalloffRange" operation="perc_add" value="-.25">
   <requirement name="RandomRoll" seed_type="Item" min_max="1,100" operation="LTE" value="80"/>
</passive_effect>

As I understood from XML file, silencer reduce noise range for 25%, so for pistol it decrease from 14 I guess to 11 or 10, and for sniper rifle from 60 to 45, and this is why it totally useless.

So for fixing silencer looks like I need set something like value="-.75" or even 0.85, correct?

Archived