Wandering Traders DMT Mod

xyth

I'm curious, did you try to load this mod using the mod launcher and let that do the SDX for you?

I've got it loaded but i, honestly, don't know how to add other mods. I'm a visual learner, it's how i learned small engines and i learned computer repair (back in the 80s) when Radio Shack was a "for real" place and not the joke it is now. I'm really glad for Youtube but it doesn't cover everything sometimes. Running OSes, easy. Networking, easy. But when i approach something new i have to be led through it (so to speak).

That's why this problem has held on so long, because so much (of how it works) was left unsaid from the original "how to install" video. I erased SDX, ran CCLEANER and removed all it's relations to the registry, then reinstalled it (0.7.4) to see if that might be a solution but got no joy from that. I've even went to the mentioned "experimental" updates and that didn't solve the issue. It just feels like you guys might have a package, of some kind, installed on your PCs that i've never ran across, some sort of DLL pre-requisite package maybe.

I think the 7D2D mod launcher might be my only option only i'm not sure exactly what links to use when pointing to installing a new mod. Do i link to Sphereii's github link from page 1? Do i link from the experimental site link? Or is there another one out there, especially for the loader, that i don't know of?

You only need to learn how to compile with SDX if you want to build modlets (for use on a dedicated server and/or clients) that is more than just xml modifications. If those SDX modlets are already built (like the wanderingTraders), and your not needing a dedicated server, then you are better off using the mod launcher to load those sdx modlets.

I made a quick video that might be helpful:

You only need to learn how to compile with SDX if you want to build modlets (for use on a dedicated server and/or clients) that is more than just xml modifications. If those SDX modlets are already built (like the wanderingTraders), and your not needing a dedicated server, then you are better off using the mod launcher to load those sdx modlets.

I actually do use a dedicated server, with many mods already, and my players are good about noticing glitches and out-right craziness..thanks for the video..

But you said something that really got my attention. So i can compile it, with SDX, and then use the mods without SDX afterwards?

Correct. The full version of SDX compiles all the scripts, patch scripts, etc into new DLLs and patches the game assembly DLL so it knows how to access the other DLLs. It can be configured to build both a client version and a dedicated server version if you specify those 2 paths to those install directories.

Correct. The full version of SDX compiles all the scripts, patch scripts, etc into new DLLs and patches the game assembly DLL so it knows how to access the other DLLs. It can be configured to build both a client version and a dedicated server version if you specify those 2 paths to those install directories.

So that's the "2nd build path" in the settings? Okay...cool

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Sphereii updated his WanderingTraderSDX code which is required for these entities, assuming you want them not to slide around and otherwise behave badly.

Thanks, that's good to know. But until i can find out what oddity is causing my compile not to work with his mods...i'm afraid i'll have to do without it because i want to use the mods on both client/server ends.

So, i finally broke down and ripped out everything. Not just an uninstall but a complete delete. I didn't want to do this for risk of losing possible save-games.

And, it DID fix the issue.

In the process i found a sub-folder where i had a much earlier version of SDX and i think it's what caused the corruption.

Thanks for the patience everyone.

Working on it....

What sdx does:

Patches the game so that IF there are scripts or patchscripts in the mod, the game will load them.

That's it.

I'm a firm believer that understanding how things work and what they actually do can help debug issues.

If you have other sdx mods installed, then basically the game is already patched, so doesn't need to be patched again.

What happens though, is sdx is updated and some mods require that update to be loaded into the game, but because the game is already patched with an earlier version, something goes wrong.

There are safeguards in place to allow the sdx update, but they can't account for every instance (maybe someone deleted the backup folder, has multiple installs, etc?), which is why deleting the entire sdx install and game install allows for the most reliable method to update.

Not directed at anyone, I only hope this information is useful.

What sdx does:

Patches the game so that IF there are scripts or patchscripts in the mod, the game will load them.

That's it.

I'm a firm believer that understanding how things work and what they actually do can help debug issues.

If you have other sdx mods installed, then basically the game is already patched, so doesn't need to be patched again.

What happens though, is sdx is updated and some mods require that update to be loaded into the game, but because the game is already patched with an earlier version, something goes wrong.

There are safeguards in place to allow the sdx update, but they can't account for every instance (maybe someone deleted the backup folder, has multiple installs, etc?), which is why deleting the entire sdx install and game install allows for the most reliable method to update.

Not directed at anyone, I only hope this information is useful.

As you might have read, my previous error was cleared by completely wiping out my 7D2D and reinstalling it. But i've went to my dedicated server, installed SDX 074 and the SDX helper and run into a rather strange issue with compiling these. I, myself, don't even mess with backup folders and i don't make multiple copies of any games i have......but on to the problem.

1490255961_Screenshot(50).jpg.e51b73e1d2c74ca1a0a17c1a8a195b40.jpg

It's running into an error, in my Localization.txt, on line 7588 which has to do with (of all things) Mayic's firearms mod.

It says row index mismatch on line 7588....expected 10 but got 11....

Now here's the rub: On my client side, i have that same mod and same build of localization....but i don't get the error there..

You guys, mostly being coders, have a completely different perspective on it. Me, i'm just 10-15 days into this whole SDX thing. I've compiled other mods, for other games, but i'm still on a learning basis for 7D2D even though i've been playing it for 4+ years, i didn't start with the mods until a little over a month ago.

I'm hoping you can see things i can't.

Oh wait, am i going to have to do a ton of library installs (on the server end) for it to be 100%?

1923364126_Screenshot(49).jpg.bf26e517eb91b6a887eeaa867d4528f4.jpg

With SDX you have to have a backup folder by design. One is created for you on the first run, which is a copy of key game files that it uses as the basis for its xml edits. You will find that backup folder under your root SDX folder.

Your screenshots are too small to read, this forum is not good about attaching image files directly.

As you might have read, my previous error was cleared by completely wiping out my 7D2D and reinstalling it. But i've went to my dedicated server, installed SDX 074 and the SDX helper and run into a rather strange issue with compiling these. I, myself, don't even mess with backup folders and i don't make multiple copies of any games i have......but on to the problem.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28189[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28190[/ATTACH]

It's running into an error, in my Localization.txt, on line 7588 which has to do with (of all things) Mayic's firearms mod.

It says row index mismatch on line 7588....expected 10 but got 11....

Now here's the rub: On my client side, i have that same mod and same build of localization....but i don't get the error there..

You guys, mostly being coders, have a completely different perspective on it. Me, i'm just 10-15 days into this whole SDX thing. I've compiled other mods, for other games, but i'm still on a learning basis for 7D2D even though i've been playing it for 4+ years, i didn't start with the mods until a little over a month ago.

I'm hoping you can see things i can't.

Oh wait, am i going to have to do a ton of library installs (on the server end) for it to be 100%?

No, you won't need extra dependencies on your server, other than the SDX libraries.

Localization is really challenging, as SDX seems more strict than the game. If you want to post your localization.txt, I can scan it for issues. It could be a missing comma or a mismatched quote.

No, you won't need extra dependencies on your server, other than the SDX libraries.

Localization is really challenging, as SDX seems more strict than the game. If you want to post your localization.txt, I can scan it for issues. It could be a missing comma or a mismatched quote.

It's a 10,000+ line Localization file as i use a lot of mods but i can post the line in question.

mayicattAdvancedFirearmsDesc,progression,Attribute,New,Unlock various firearms,ammo, and scopes to craft A total of 50 to craft from with elemental ammo,,,,,

But it mention it was a build error on stage two and it pointed to the localization in the backup directory. I forgot to mention that first time around.

738869996_Screenshot(51).jpg.e0f01e6829e20bcbe3f34587933627a1.jpg

It's a 10,000+ line Localization file as i use a lot of mods but i can post the line in question.

mayicattAdvancedFirearmsDesc,progression,Attribute,New,Unlock various firearms,ammo, and scopes to craft A total of 50 to craft from with elemental ammo,,,,,

But it mention it was a build error on stage two and it pointed to the localization in the backup directory. I forgot to mention that first time around.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28191[/ATTACH]

mayicattAdvancedFirearmsDesc,progression,Attribute ,New,"Unlock various firearms,ammo, and scopes to craft A total of 50 to craft from with elemental ammo",,,,,

That might work better. Without the quotes, SDX is probably reading the , in the sentence as delimiter. It probably doesn't look right in the game, even with non-sdx builds.

Alternatively, you can delete the Localization from your back up, and just manually copy over the localization file after the SDX is done.

Cool....thanks to the both of you....i'm slowly catching up on all this...

Has anyone thought of the mailboxes and the mail-system and possibly something to enhance the use? I did see a post, a while back, about using the mailbox to announce the location of the traders making it something like a quest where you can follow a yellow "!" but i never saw it take off. It's just something i've seen and hoped people would do more with like maybe have more than paper appear in mailboxes.....

....or has there already been a mod that i've completely missed? (probably yes, lol)

Not sure what you mean by mail-system. Valmar had a mailing system for merchants in A15, but other than that I have no idea what you are referring to.

That's kinda what i'm referring to but that was way back in A15....does it still work with A17 or would it be pretty simple code update?

Not sure what you mean by mail-system. Valmar had a mailing system for merchants in A15, but other than that I have no idea what you are referring to.

The ordering through the mailbox was a cool idea, i have to admit. But this was a mod, from Relix, called "RELXIX_Quests_TraderAdvertisements" and i have relocated it.

It was a nifty, little mod that told you the location of the closes trader or maybe it was all the traders on the map, i can't remember completely. Still, another cool idea. Making a better use of the mail system would enhance the game a little bit.

I mean, once you establish a base, and hit level 120, it's pretty much all about repetition and i was hoping the game could come up with some better ideas. I hate to say it but they could take some ideas, from Fallout 3-4, and enhance the game.

Hey but i did like your Winter Entities mod. It put a little mix in the game for what had become a little stale.

I'm looking for mods to spice the game up without overwriting most of the system files in case things need to change. You and Shereii have had some great mods.

Relix has some good ideas as well but i've run into a lot of yellow errors with his a17 mods as if he left old code in there the system just didn't like.

Xyth, I'm sorry if this is a lame question, I'm not a modder, I just wanted to be sure about something. I was reading the files in your Wandering Traders mod and I noticed this:

npc.xml

<npc_info
		id="traderfood"
		name="Food Trader"
		name_key="npcTraderFood"
		faction="whiteriver"
		portrait="npc_joel"
		greeting_type="nearby"
		stance="Neutral" voice_set="trader"
		trader_id="9" dialog_id="trader" 
		quest_list="trader_quests" />

entitygroups.xml

<configs>
 <append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[ starts-with(@name, 'FriendlyAnimals')]">
   <entity name="Ammo Trader" prob="0.01" />
<entity name="Drug Trader" prob="0.01" />
<entity name="Heavy Trader" prob="0.01" />
 </append>

</configs>

There is no food trader in entitygroups.xml, is that ok?

Xyth, I'm sorry if this is a lame question, I'm not a modder, I just wanted to be sure about something. I was reading the files in your Wandering Traders mod and I noticed this:

npc.xml

<npc_info
           id="traderfood"
           name="Food Trader"
           name_key="npcTraderFood"
           faction="whiteriver"
           portrait="npc_joel"
           greeting_type="nearby"
           stance="Neutral" voice_set="trader"
           trader_id="9" dialog_id="trader" 
           quest_list="trader_quests" />

entitygroups.xml

<configs>
 <append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[ starts-with(@name, 'FriendlyAnimals')]">
   <entity name="Ammo Trader" prob="0.01" />
   <entity name="Drug Trader" prob="0.01" />
   <entity name="Heavy Trader" prob="0.01" />
 </append>

</configs>

There is no food trader in entitygroups.xml, is that ok?

OOps, forgot that part when I added the Baker. You can just add him yourself but I pushed version 1.33 to add him to the spawn.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived