Linux Users, Rejoice!

betam4x

With the new steam beta for Linux you can opt in on a per title basis for steam play. What does that mean? In a nutshell, steam will install the Windows version of a game and use something called proton to play the game. Proton uses wine and a DirectX 11 -> Vulkan translator. In my tests, this has added anywhere from 10-80% to the framerate with Linux Kernel 4.20 and Nvidia drivers 415.27. Places that used to chug on max detail now get around 60-70 fps, and other areas I've seen over 100fps! Keep in mind this is an AMD Threadripper processor with a 3.4 GHz base/4.0 GHz boost, and 7DTD under Windows has never liked Ryzen much. Since you can now opt in to Steam Play on a per game basis, MANY other available games work as well. I played 7DTD for 4-5 hours tonight without a hitch.

With the new steam beta for Linux you can opt in on a per title basis for steam play. What does that mean? In a nutshell, steam will install the Windows version of a game and use something called proton to play the game. Proton uses wine and a DirectX 11 -> Vulkan translator. In my tests, this has added anywhere from 10-80% to the framerate with Linux Kernel 4.20 and Nvidia drivers 415.27. Places that used to chug on max detail now get around 60-70 fps, and other areas I've seen over 100fps! Keep in mind this is an AMD Threadripper processor with a 3.4 GHz base/4.0 GHz boost, and 7DTD under Windows has never liked Ryzen much. Since you can now opt in to Steam Play on a per game basis, MANY other available games work as well. I played 7DTD for 4-5 hours tonight without a hitch.

Interesting. I assume you used nvidia closed source drivers under linux too.

So the speedup must be

1) because of vulkan ideally being faster than opengl and

2) because unity and/or nvidia might not put as much work into opengl optimization than DX11 optimization.

I'm in the process of buying a new PC (with Ryzen and AMD GPU) and if I have the time will do a similar test. Although I expect that the new hardware will add enough power to get me good framerates anyway

I don't get why people still try to use linux to game. For the past ten years at leadt I've been watching linux users complain about compatability or performance issues with pretty much every game that is released.

I know windows offers almost zero privacy but trust me when I tell you that if someone important is after your data, they will get it.

I just use windows and don't put anything personal on my gaming pc.

I don't get why people still try to use linux to game. For the past ten years at leadt I've been watching linux users complain about compatability or performance issues with pretty much every game that is released.

I know windows offers almost zero privacy but trust me when I tell you that if someone important is after your data, they will get it.

I think you're completely misjudging this. Games ported to Linux run just as well as they do on Windows. Maybe with a little less FPS but otherwise without major problems. My collection includes Tom Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Surviving Mars, City Skylines, Civilization and of course 7D2D. All these games have been ported to Linux and don't cause problems that Windows users wouldn't know.

I work on Linux and play on Linux. And I am very satisfied with it. Windows is a torture for me to use and therefore I don't have a dual boot system to play with.

I don't get why people still crap on Linux users.

Windows constantly spying on you is good enough reason to avoid it.

It's not the only reason .... but all a person needs.

I run both so I don't have any problems but I certainly don't fault anyone for using linux to game.

The real question is... how is this hurting YOU?

Why do you feel the need to lash out at Linux users?

It's not really getting in the way of your gaming is it?

Live and let live.

I don't get why people still crap on Linux users.

Windows constantly spying on you is good enough reason to avoid it.

It's not the only reason .... but all a person needs.

I run both so I don't have any problems but I certainly don't fault anyone for using linux to game.

The real question is... how is this hurting YOU?

Why do you feel the need to lash out at Linux users?

It's not really getting in the way of your gaming is it?

Live and let live.

I'm not "lashing out" at anyone man, just stating what I've been seeing the past years. Linux is always at the back of the line when it comes to gaming development, I don't understand why people use it thinking their privacy is secure while carrying a cell phone in their pocket 24/7.

"Live and let live"

I agree.

I don't know much at all about linux and I'm not crapping on anyone, I actually feel sorry for linux users as they usually have issues running games. I'm curious as to why they stick to it..

I'm not "lashing out" at anyone man, just stating what I've been seeing the past years. Linux is always at the back of the line when it comes to gaming development, I don't understand why people use it thinking their privacy is secure while carrying a cell phone in their pocket 24/7.

"Live and let live"

I agree.

I don't know much at all about linux and I'm not crapping on anyone, I actually feel sorry for linux users as they usually have issues running games. I'm curious as to why they stick to it..

Just to be clear I am only running a dedicated headless server using linux. I only specifically game on windows. Linux is a very efficient and reliable OS overall. If you compare a high-end Linux system and a high-end Windows-powered system, the Linux distribution would take the edge. Maybe not when it comes to gaming, but mostly everything else. Especially when it comes to web hosting and server/sql databases and other server applications.

No reason to feel sorry for linux users. GNU/Linux was never designed with gaming in mind. It was designed to be open source and offer freedom to the end user.

There's probably as many linux gamers as there is mac gamers, which isn't much at all.

No reason to feel sorry for linux users. GNU/Linux was never designed with gaming in mind. It was designed to be open source and offer freedom to the end user.

Windows was also never designed with gaming in mind either. It was a system for the office. You can tell by how everything was named and which software Microsoft released in the early years. Back when Windows was released, consoles and arcade machines were the primary platform for games.

But no matter how a platform started, it doesn't limit what it can become.

Linux is now everywhere even if you can't see it. It is for example also in the phones as Android and in the TV sets under another name but in the base it is still Linux.

Valve has invested a lot in Linux as a game platform and it works well. There are now many more games available for Linux than a few years ago and the users are accepting the offer. Of course Linux is far behind Windows in games, but it still goes forward.

I don't use linux for privacy reasons alone. And I'm quite comfortably with the games available for linux (this is because I've played almost no AAA games the last few years). Most of the games I play or plan to play are available for linux and running quite well. So I don't see a big problem where you see one.

In 7d2d for example I have practically no problems with the vanilla linux version, I just had on a few occasions problems with specific mods, all of which I or the mod author could resolve (except for one where I didn't even try to find a solution because we just changed to an equally interesting mod). This surely is a small disadvantage, but (for me) there are a lot more advantages playing 7 days in Linux. It saves time, I know the tools if I have to reinstall or edit xmls or change anything about the game. Starting the game is a split-second away. My wiki is in reach if I want to record something.

You say you have seen linux users complain about issues with pretty much every game. Maybe this is because one tends to notice the exceptions more. Obviously a windows user complaining about bugs is such a common occurence (not because there are more bugs in the windows game but because 98% of bugs are probably reported by windows users) that you won't notice it. In a bug report you will never notice a windows-only issue as windows only (because it would be a seldom event that one of the few linux users posts a message that the issue is not happening for him), but you will notice a linux-only issue as linux-only.

You say you have seen linux users complain about issues with pretty much every game. Maybe this is because one tends to notice the exceptions more. Obviously a windows user complaining about bugs is such a common occurence (not because there are more bugs in the windows game but because 98% of bugs are probably reported by windows users) that you won't notice it. In a bug report you will never notice a windows-only issue as windows only (because it would be a seldom event that one of the few linux users posts a message that the issue is not happening for him), but you will notice a linux-only issue as linux-only.

Good point, makes sense.

Archived