Walking Dead Mod A17 - [Whisper your suggestions]

Chaosocks

2-0-1440139825.jpg

A17 The Walking Dead Mod! -[RELEASE PENDING!]-

After a long Hiatus I've decided to reboot this long running mod! With Alpha 17 and Season 9 of the Walking Dead, it seemed like a great time! (Also I got multiple PMs requesting me to do so!) If you are unfamiliar, this is a simple, yet expertly balanced mod to make the game feel more like something that could exist in the Walking Dead universe, that has been developed on and off since Alpha 11!

It's not ready yet, but I'm already working on the mod, and I've decided to open this thread to request suggestions!

Planned Features:

- New to A17!!: Rework "Feral" hordes into "Whisperer" hoards!

- Whisperers in general! Zombies that can attack like bandits (or something, we'll see)

- Remove 7D2D Specials that strongly disagree with TWD cannon.

- Re-balance to animal enemies and animals in general.

- Re-balance combat so that zombies die way easier. Especially to head-shots.

- Re-balance zombie bite and infection system.

- Zombie spawns are a bit more realistic, not every 5th zombie is a stripper.

- Re-balanced building and defense system. Higher cost, more durable buildings.

- Re-balance to the loot and scavenging in general.

- Radiation, Flaming, and Frozen hordes to make up for the lack of special hordes.

- Re-balance player re-spawn system to make death more meaningful.

Want to help out?

- Help me give zombies weapons! OR make bandits act like zombies!

- Help me change zombie sounds! I think I know how to do this..

(I am debating on even doing a custom V/O, if that can work)

- Links to other Walking Dead mods (weapons, characters, POIs, etc)

Don't worry, if I don't get any help I'll still get it done it'll just take a bit longer!

It's an XML mod, and should work on servers, I know the previous versions where quite popular on servers! Unless something about how the game handles mods has fundamentally changed.

I am going to do what I can to get the hoards big, but the performance of the game is what's kept me from making an update for A16! So I'll see what I can do about it now. The hoards will not be the size they were in older updates, that's for sure, but I'm pretty crafty so maybe I can find some cheap tricks to up the count without butchering the framerate.

I believe there are POI mods already made by other users for most of the locations in TWD and possibly FTWD as well! I don't make those myself, but many users on this site are amazing at them. I know at the height of this mods popularity back in the day another user actually kept together a pack of POIs with a heavy walking dead influence and I directed everyone to it. It had a really great prison POI I used myself once.

If anyone happens to have any links to any such POIs I'm sure those in this thread would appreciate them, myself included! I'll go looking for them myself later, but the mod itself will be my priority when it comes to 7D2D for the time being. (Even over playing it)

The whisperers allow me a lot of freedom in terms of balancing.

My plan is to make the "dumb zombies" like in previous versions for the normal zombies.

However "feral" zombies are being lead by whisperers and are much more intelligent and dangerous.

Non lore things such as zombies climbing ladders will be disabled, except for whisperers themselves. I will likely use the model of the ring-ghost looking girl (the screamer) for the whisperers themselves, Especially if I can make it whisper instead of scream!

So it should be pretty distinct from old versions of the mod, and from the normal gameplay of A17.

However I MIGHT make it so that "whisperer" zombies are impossible to tell apart until you start fighting it or it does something the others can't (like climb a ladder) The game has a lot of new pieces to play with, so maybe I can do something crazy with the bandits. Maybe a "bandit" that looks like a zombie and hides in the heard only to jump out and stab the hell out of you. We'll see, that is likely the last thing I'll finish.

Those whisperer zombies sound really cool. Didn't the original alphas have an ambient voice that whispered "kill all humans" or something?

Maybe you could have "half zombies" that don't get attacked by zombies, and can manipulate the horde, but are actually intelligent.

Some ideas for whisperer/"half zombie" actions:

-stalk the player

-Learn to use weapons that they see the player use.

-leave traps

-bang pots & pans or set fires to attract zombies to a location

I made this already on my mod about 6 months, ago using the AfroShamanSounds pack for the whispering zombies and hordes that are currently on my server. Would love to see your take on this :)

I know on mine, everyone said it freaks them the heck out lol because it wasn't expected especially at the dead at night

If you need help on the Zombie sounds and how to change them let me know its pretty easy to do.

<configs>
<append xpath="/Sounds">
	<SoundDataNode name="carAlarm">
		<AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_UseAction" />
		<Noise range="50" prio="1" time="1" muffled_when_crouched="1.0" />
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLCarAlarms.unity3d?alarm1" />
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLCarAlarms.unity3d?alarm2" />
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLCarAlarms.unity3d?alarm3" />
		<LocalCrouchVolumeScale name="1.0" />
		<CrouchNoiseScale name="1.0" />
		<NoiseScale name="1" />
		<MaxVoices name="1" />
		<MaxEntities name="30" />
		<MaxRepeatRate name="0.01" />
	</SoundDataNode>

<SoundDataNode name="afroShamanSounds">
		<AudioSource name="Sounds/AudioSource_VO"/>
		<Noise ID="3" range="50" volume="8" time="10" muffled_when_crouched="0.65" heat_map_strength="0.15" heat_map_time="60"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?all_alone"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?all_is_lost2"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?all_is_lost"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?ambling_moaning_shrieking"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?are_you_afraid2"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?are_you_afraid"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?be_careful2"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?be_careful"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?beckoning"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?beware"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?calling"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?cant_find_you"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?cant_you_see"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?canvas_of_grotesqueness"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?dark_is_the_hour"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?death_is_your_only_escape"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?die"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?disgusting_little_creatures"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?disgusting"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?dont_go2"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?dont_go"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?dont_touch"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?dont_you_see"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?do_you_feel_it"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?do_you_hear_it"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?do_you_remember"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?do_you_see"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?dreaming"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?everything_gone"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?fear_the_reaper"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?find_it"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?fodder_for_the_hungry_wraiths2"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?fodder_for_the_hungry_wraiths"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?foreeeveeer"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?forever"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?forget"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?get_out2"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?get_out"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?give_back_what_you_stole"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?give_her_what_she_wants"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?give_him_what_he_wants"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?give_it_what_it_wants"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?give_me_what_i_want"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?give_them_what_they_want"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?give_us_what_we_want"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?gnashing_mouths"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?he_hates_you"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?he_is_here"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?he_is_hungry"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?he_is_watching"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?he_knows_youre_here"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?he_knows_youre_there"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?help_me"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?help_us"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?he_lusts_for_flesh"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?he_remembers_everything"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?hes_coming"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?hes_going_to_kill_you"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?hes_trying_to_kill_you"/>
		<AudioClip ClipName="#@modfolder:Resources/ZTLAfroShamanSounds.unity3d?he_wants_to_kill_you"/>
		<LocalCrouchVolumeScale name="0.3" />
		<CrouchNoiseScale name="0.2" />
		<NoiseScale name="0.4" />
		<MaxVoices name="10"/>
		<MaxRepeatRate name="1.111"/>
	</SoundDataNode>

</append>
</configs>

That's in my sounds mod part

Had to cut the code down due to character restrictions there are a ton more sounds that I couldn't post on the afroShamanSounds whats great is it plays them randomly as well. Same thing with my CarAlarms, nothing like looting a car and all the sudden a Car Alarm goes off and you get a slight stun from it going off and it attracts Zombies to the noise HAHAHA, freak my players out!

Or hearing that first time player that joins and seeing them say, WTF was that, who said that?

for the Entities note the replacements.

<entity_class name="zombieMechanic" extends="zombieTemplateMale">
		<property name="LootDropProb" value=".03"/>
		<property name="LootDropEntityClass" value="EntityLootContainer110"/>
		<property name="Archetype" value="zombieMechanic"/>
		<property name="SoundRandom" value="afroShamanSounds"/>
		<property name="SoundAlert" value="afroShamanSounds"/>
		<property name="SoundAttack" value="Enemies/Base_Zombie_Male2/zombiemale2attack"/>
		<property name="SoundHurt" value="Enemies/Base_Zombie_Male2/zombiemale2pain"/>
		<property name="SoundDeath" value="Enemies/Base_Zombie_Male2/zombiemale2death"/>
		<property name="SoundSense" value="afroShamanSounds"/>	
	</entity_class>

Oh wow!! Thanks! This will save me some time!

This is why I love this community, modding is an act of collaboration! It looks like I also need to get that AfroShamanSounds mod?

For the record, I will include a credits section for all the people who help me add pieces to it, of coarse! :3

Oh wow!! Thanks! This will save me some time!

This is why I love this community, modding is an act of collaboration! It looks like I also need to get that AfroShamanSounds mod?

For the record, I will include a credits section for all the people who help me add pieces to it, of coarse! :3

That one or any other zombie sounds you want to use. In the code you can see how it uses it and how to call them. the AfroShamanSounds is just a Unity container that holds the sound files of course. Available at the Unity Assest Store for $5 https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/afro-shaman-48751 They use to have jsut the sound pack can't remember where it is now.

Oh, see they are unity assets they have in the game but aren't used?

Or is this a thing I need to buy to be able to include it in my mod? haha

well with any mods, you can just use Free Assets and abide by the licences or purchase them as well and still abide by the license agreements. Generally involves some kind of credit. Or you can create your own as well. Generally they are not in the game already, this is where SDX comes in real handy. 9/10 you can include them in your Mods as long as credits and license agreements are followed. Guppycur or Xyth or a number of the fellow Modders can always go into more detail.

• 6 months later...

That's why I won't start my overhaul until the game goes gold. A lot of modders have gotten burnt out already and left or have half finished ideas abandoned. I don't want that to happen to me so I'm being patient and waiting for the full game.

Have a Hardcore Survival Modelt Option. Everything hard to scavenge. Everything Hard To Resource. Im a Solo Player,No server, No Help, and I would like a single player challenge. Good Luck with this and dont worry about the sounds so much, you can add those in later. Get your core working. I'm eager to test this out!

Classic Nomad Survival A16

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?82992-A16-Classic-Nomad-Survival

• 6 months later...

Archived